Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Problems with replica fountains
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthiana & Collectibles
Communikaze
Hi there,
I recently became the proud owner of a fountain from Absinthe Frenchman Spoon. It is a socalled "lady-fountain" with 4 metal spigots, beautiful indeed. I guess the spigot principle is exactly the same for every replica-fountain that comes from this manufacturer.

3 of the spigots works flawlessly - however the 4th spigot keeps dripping. It is to some degree possible to make it stop, but it really requires "fine tuning" (which people might not do at parties). While doing that a lot of water drips from tha tap, quite annoying…

Do any of you know this problem? Is the spigot to loose? Is there a proven fix/workaround?

Thanks in advance

__

Thomas
Kirk
You can tighten the nut a little, that usually does it, snug it up while at that same time rotating the handle around in circles, not back and forth, once the handle seems snug while turning it, stop tightening the nut but keep rotating the handle a few times to seat the valve. don't turn the nut or tighten it too much or you'll break it off. Ideal would be to use a wrench or socket that fits it, second best would be a very small channel lock or pliers.
thegreenimp
I took the spigots apart, cleaned the pipes out with pipe cleaners, then used 400, 600, 1500, wet or dry emery paper to clean up and polish the tap inserts, and where they seat.

After cleaning everything out again, I reassembled the taps with a little Taylor ice cream machine lube, the fountain never leaks, and I get better control of the drip.

Somewhere there is a old thread about the first generation fountains, and how to tune them up.

Click to view attachment
Zenzero
I disassembled every last part of the spigot and gave it a thorough clean, just before mounting it back again I applied a thin layer of food grade lubricant, that did the job.

Just be very careful when putting back the nut, it's all brass and you could easily damage the thread.

- Or just read the post above this one -
Communikaze
Thank you all. I will try to have a look at it inspired by the suggestions above and supply the thread with my findings. Tried to search the forum but was not succesful in finding anything relevant.
Well, now the is some fodder for the search engine - so let´s keep the thread open for suggestions and future use.

Thanks again

Thomas
Zenzero
Aren't those spigots supposed to leak, dripping the water into the glass underneath.
Doctor Love
Why I think you're right IPB Image
Donnie Darko
I haven't had any problem with the spigots. The angle isn't even (the front spigots raise up noticeably higher than the back ones), but they still work flawlessly. One thing I've noticed is the fountain does have an intense metallic aroma, especially if you store it with the lid on. That sharp metal smell doesn't translate to the water or the drink though. Smells brassy, kind of like trumpet valves (I used to play trumpet). But if I store it with the lid off the smell isn't nearly as pronounced, which makes me think it's probably coming from the lid more than the interior of the bowl.

Killer fountain though, definitely the most attractive absinthe service option for the price.
Patlow
That is VERY nice! But, can you get a decent fountain in the US without paying the 34 Euro shipping fee? Seems dumb for a 95 Euro fountain.
Shabba53
Doesn't La Maison d'Absinthe carry the same fountains now?
dakini_painter
Seems like it. And all spoons are on sale now (and some fountains).

G&C
If you all quit buying these broken fountains, perhaps it would force the sellers to make the product good BEFORE it is sold to the end user.
smiley
QUOTE(G&C @ Nov 13 2008, 03:11 PM) *

If you all quit buying these broken fountains, perhaps it would force the sellers to make the product good BEFORE it is sold to the end user.

Indeed! However, this object that is quality may make the price of absinthe fountains even more ridiculous. Every single time that I have almost caved and ordered a functional fountain I have had to slap myself in the face and remind myself that I could order a bottle for the same price… Even the see-saw brouiller comes out to like 80 bucks.

My regular brouiller does grow tedious however, and has not quite the aesthetically effectual brilliance I had envisioned.

Can anyone recommend a good fountain for a decent price?

Kirk
That is a decent fountain at a decent price, everything needs a little fine tuning, sometimes.
Zenzero
Correct, it has it's charmes.

I can still buy vintage spoons for le$$ than the price of a replica.
Doctor Love
QUOTE(smiley @ Nov 13 2008, 04:05 PM) *
Can anyone recommend a good fountain for a decent price?

If you don't need 4 spigots and are looking for a less expensive route, this fountain is quite solid in construction, the glass is thick and sturdy. It's not quite as elegant at the 4 spigot varieties but is practical and functional. Only downside is the spigots are plastic, but they can be easily replaced with metal spigots from your local Home Depot.

Zenzero
And that would make it all look even nicer…
Zenzero
Another cheap alternative would be this.
Patlow
Thanks Shabba!
Donnie Darko
Here's a cheaper alternative:
IPB Image

Seriously though, I think the replica fountain is the better purchase. My F. Guy fountain's plastic spigots both broke, and looked like crap before they broke because the paint flaked off the spigots. Yeah, you could get different ones from Home Depot and rig it. You could also get a mason jar and drill a hole in it and stick a home depot spigot in it like Le Gimp did. But it's kind of nice to have a replica of the real thing that seems to work for everyone except one person, and there have been several occasions where I've needed all four spigots.
Patlow
You ARE a spigot!
Tibro
Do you mean that as metonymy or synecdoche?
Donnie Darko
Synecdoche, NY.
Tibro
Do they have metosexuals upstate?
Donnie Darko
No, just some vague reference to the movie on my part.
Rimbaud
QUOTE(Patlow @ Nov 14 2008, 03:58 PM) *

Thanks Shabba!

HA!

Zenzero has been outed!
Patlow
Hey! No I think Shabba's help came first, but thank you too Zenzie!
Rimbaud
Drat! Foiled again!
Absomphe
Unless he's lying. evill.gif
Zenzero
I always lie, even when I'm asleep.
Zenzero
QUOTE(Patlow @ Nov 18 2008, 07:02 PM) *
Hey! No I think Shabba's help came first, but thank you too Zenzie!

Anytime.

smiley
I caved; I anted up and bought a fountain, thanks for your advice everyone. I bought one of the Frenchman's cheaper offerings and it arrived yesterday! On sunday. Which was great. Anyways, I just louched a glass up with the fountain, its great, and I feel that it was well worth my money. Beats the shit out of my brouiller. Incidentally, it seems to have been produced in, or at least has BEEN to, Dallas Texas. The box shows no signs of even coming from france. Weird. Whatever, its a great fountain.
G&C
Some people are the lime and some are the coconut.
OCvertDe
Sometimes you feel like a nut…
Tibro
And sometimes you need the top of your head taken off with a machete.
Jaded Prole
Wouldn't that be barbarism?
Wild Bill Turkey
Not if it's voluntary. Then it's decapitulation.
Tibro
Ha!

Way to shake it all up.
OCvertDe
Heh heh…
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.