Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Artemisia Superior Absinthe Verte,
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe Brands Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
Steyr850
Just got a bottle driven up by my nephew from Florida. Awefull. Licorice and alcohol in the nose neat. Non-existant louche. Taste is only marginally better than what I anticipated at this point. Just stick to Disneyland if in Florida.

Zman
Ouch.
You can donate a sample my way if will help get rid of the bottle and save your pipes…
Steyr850
Yeah, I've been working on getting this bottle for quite some time. Kinda had high hopes given Fat Dogs recent success with vodkas. I pretty much knew though as soon as I uncorked it and took a whiff. I'm planning on tasting it again this evening and hope to post some pics tomorrow.
Absomphe
Perhaps a dental dam would ease the pain.
scuto
At least it'll reduce the risk of infection.
Steyr850
***Pics messed up, I'll try again***
Absomphe
From over-colored neat to pallid with a thin louche.

Oh well, hopefully it won't hurt your pipes.

absinthist
Verte or blanche, that's the question. Maybe it is just stronger pastis with that cardamom and sage after all?
Steyr850
QUOTE(Absomphe @ Nov 19 2008, 08:51 AM) *

Oh well, hopefully it won't hurt your pipes.
Drank about half, then introduced it to the sink.

It does smell like a pastis neat.
dakini_painter
What's the "with natural flavors added" mean? Does that mean colored with herbs or something else?
absinthist
Or something worse…
dakini_painter
At first I thought, maybe it was the cold weather, but the spirit out of the bottle is cloudy. A murky olive green, and quite light. The color is natural, but too light.

The aroma neat is citrus, citrus, citrus.

It louches better than LTV. But it still has a murky look to it. It's not like it's louched. It's like whatever murkiness is present in the beginning, remains after "louching". Very transparent. Almost no oil trails.

OK, I don't have the greatest sniffer in the world, but after louching it's still citrus with something else and alcohol. I went with 3:1, just to see how it would be at that dilution. I usually dilute more, but had a feeling this absinthe wouldn't be able to take it.

I'm going to take a sip now. I promise not to spew it onto the computer monitor. I promise to swallow. evill.gif

Harsh. They must have thought absinthe was supposed to be a citrus beverage of some kind. The alcohol is too strong at this dilution. They must think absinthe is supposed to be like gin. My guess is the wormwood looked like straw. There's also a bitter grapefruit pith flavor. If you swallow slow, it's not so bad. Let me try again.

The flavorings are just not good. I'm really not getting anything beyond all the citrus. No typical absinthe herbs at all in the flavor. No typical absinthe numbing on the tongue.

OK, adding more water now to bring it up to 4:1.

Actually, much better I think. The alcohol backs off and some of the harshness goes away as well. But so too goes the concentration of flavors, a mixed bag. Some other flavors are detectable, but they don't seem to be absinthe herbs.

OK, I stand corrected. I just looked at their web page for this product. Says they use AA, fennel, anise, hyssop, etc. But this is just a couple steps above LTV. But it doesn't taste anything like absinthe.

This isn't the best holiday gift Santa's elf has sent me, but I appreciate the chance to try it.

The coffee tomorrow morning will be much much better.

synthetic buddhist
Disneyland is in California.
Zman
I just tried some that was sent to me by a generous benefactor. It is not very good. It has a harsh flavor that (to me) appears to be from using absinthium in the coloring step. Me no like.
Provenance
There are more people making absinthe than know how to make absinthe. Expect the trend to continue. I hope this doesn't push the handful of current/potential quality CO distillers out of economic viabilty.
dakini_painter
You mean you think people expect absinthe to taste bad?

But seriously, I think that a lot of people are being first exposed to subpar absinthe, and won't be interested in just picking up a bottle at the store. It will require re-educating them about what absinthe can be.

Jaded Prole
I tried that stuff once. It was expensive and tasted like bad salad dressing.

Considering the price of a bottle of absinthe, and the crap trying to pass itself off as such to unwary and naive consumers it seems like a good idea for CO producers to put out small sampler bottles like other liquors do. Most people would be more willing to shell out a couple of bucks to try something new than to spend $50.00 - $70.00, especially for something that might suck.
Provenance
QUOTE(dakini_painter @ Nov 29 2008, 05:38 AM) *
It will require re-educating them about what absinthe can be.

Nope. Other than a very small number of people, there are very few consumers interested in being "re-educated" about $70/bottle booze. If they try crap and, for whatever reason, like it, that's what they'll expect/demand in the future. If they don't like it, they're not likely to buy another bottle. Hell, if someone thinks I "require re-education," it's best they be heavily armed.
Shabba53
QUOTE(Provenance @ Nov 29 2008, 01:03 PM) *

there are very few consumers interested in being "re-educated" about $70/bottle booze.

I disagree wholeheartedly. I've ran into literally dozens of people who have been indoctrinated into the Czech crap and who've either loved it or hated it, but when I've told them the real story, a very large majority of them have been interested in 're-education'.

When we've lined up goods and bads and done side-by-side tastings, almost every one of them came away happy that they now know what real absinthe tastes like. We've even converted some of the most outspoken Czechsinthe supporters.

I'm sure that their ability to sample a bunch of different types, without having to shell out the cash for each bottle made it much easier for them to make the change. Either way, it worked.
Provenance
QUOTE(Shabba53 @ Nov 29 2008, 10:08 AM) *
I disagree wholeheartedly.

I'm sure you do. Leaving aside the minor fact that this thread isn't about a Czechsinth, I'm also sure that you've had success with "re-education" and "conversion." But I thought the discussion of Scientologists and Jehovah's Witnesses was in another thread.
Shabba53
QUOTE(Provenance @ Nov 29 2008, 01:22 PM) *

Leaving aside the minor fact that this thread isn't about a Czechsinth

Didn't say it was. Your statement was if they try 'crap'. Czechsinth is also crap. It wasn't that far of a leap. But I was also talking about people who've only had experience with lower quality stuff.

I'm also sure that you've had success with "re-education" and "conversion." But I thought the discussion of Scientologists and Jehovah's Witnesses was in another thread.

*snore*

I ain't religious, and I reference this site as much as I reference the WS whenever I'm talking absinthe education. Sorry to spoil your preconceptions about me.
dakini_painter
The Artemisia is very close to LTV in quality, and while it's not made in Czechia, it's close to a typical product.

I think the same situation applies here in the US. After the introduction of Lucid and Kubler, the quality went down. Sirene, Leopold are exceptions, but they're not universally or even generally available.

People could buy some low quality, artificially colored absinth in Prague, or the duty free shop just for the novelty. "Look Marge! Absinthe! We can hallucinate like Van Gogh and cut our ears off. That'll be fun and scare the kids!" And if it tasted like crap, so what, it was part of the cost of the vacation, and it could go to the back of the liquor cabinet.

I've encountered many people that are interested in absinthe, even if they'd had something of low quality in the past, they have more of an interest when they learn it's not supposed to taste bad. But still, the vast majority of the public do not have great interest in absinthe. And I'm glad they won't give up their wine, whiskey, vodka, tequila, etc just to have some. More education will be needed.

Tibro
QUOTE(Shabba53 @ Nov 29 2008, 07:52 PM) *

*slurp*

I ain't religious,

Provenance may have been giving you the benefit of the doubt about why you appear to be on your knees so often.

Still, the dozens of misguided absinthe drinkers that you profess to run into wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that you're a proselytizer, now would it. Their successful re-education wouldn't mean diddly to the health of the quality CO distillers, either, now would it. Most booze consumers enjoy or not enjoy their tipple without broadcasting it over the Interwebs. Maybe you can understand that in this respect we're the vocal minority.
Shabba53
No shit Tibro.

Not surprising to see you make another homosexual innuendo either. You're really hung up on that. Maybe you should talk to someone about it.
Tibro
Since you now refer to yourself as a goat I could probably come up with some references to beastiality, if you'd be more comfortable with that. It would have has much to do with broader market realities as your anecdotes do.
Shabba53
Whatever floats your little minded boat, bro.

I hear that if you bring a goat to the edge of a cliff they'll bounce back better. But that's second hand anecdotal evidence.
smiley
The witty quips here, oh the snide jabs, lets try to get back on topic and not try to best one another, shall we? It distracts so much, and takes away from what should be wholesome discourse. I've fought my first and only fight here… but anyway…

Shabba, regarding your quote here:

QUOTE(Shabba53 @ Nov 29 2008, 11:08 AM) *

QUOTE(Provenance @ Nov 29 2008, 01:03 PM) *

there are very few consumers interested in being "re-educated" about $70/bottle booze.

I disagree wholeheartedly. I've ran into literally dozens of people who have been indoctrinated into the Czech crap and who've either loved it or hated it, but when I've told them the real story, a very large majority of them have been interested in 're-education'.

This would be the kind of person I am; I first tried Hills Absinth, oh such a fine product, such a masterful finish… and yes, I still wanted to try "real" absinthe, and yes tibro and provenance, I knew Hills was shit the minute I took a whiff of the nose.

This kind of person, I believe, is the kind of person like myself, who had a previous interest in absinthe. I had so much interest in fact, as to seek out forums such as this, paying ridiculous Canadian prices, yada yada yada.

I think that more or less regular joes who don't really appreciate absinthe's history or romance will find it hard to even buy a first bottle, never mind become a repeat customer. Absinthe's publicity is, unfortunately, largely based on Johnny Depp. Once people find out that absinthe doesn't make you trip, the interest soon wanes, and whats left are people like us, who like a good drink.

Patlow

[/quote]

Absinthe's publicity is, unfortunately, largely based on Johnny Depp.

[/quote]

There is nothing wrong with Johnny Depp.
dakini_painter
The witty quips here, oh the snide jabs, lets try to get back on topic and not try to best one another, shall we? It distracts so much, and takes away from what should be wholesome discourse.

Just so you know, the banner says La Fée Verte. It's a valuable skill to be able to hold an intelligent discussion in the midst of a rumble. Pay the tumbling fighters and broken furniture no mind. Louche up another glass. And I do believe that your cigar may have gone out.
smiley
QUOTE(Patlow @ Nov 29 2008, 07:00 PM) *

Absinthe's publicity is, unfortunately, largely based on Johnny Depp.

There is nothing wrong with Johnny Depp.

I guess you've never seen "From Hell"?

And I never said there was anything wrong with Depp, but as an absinthe enthusiast you might object to one scene in the movie, which no doubt due to Depp's popularity has influenced so many ball trippin' youngsters.

Fear and Loathing happens to be one of my favourites.
smiley
You see, this is largely inaccurate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhThrnOlEhE…feature=related

Again, I got nothing against Depp, I'm sure he didn't write the screenplay or whatever.
Absomphe
QUOTE(smiley @ Nov 29 2008, 05:49 PM) *

The witty quips here, oh the snide jabs, lets try to get back on topic and not try to best one another, shall we? It distracts so much, and takes away from what should be wholesome discourse.

I now mourn the loss of my evening's savory and delicious repast as well as my no longer functioning islets of langerhans.

Thanks for the saccharine, and sanctimonious tip, Miss Manners.
smiley
Mmmm, who knew you'd show up? Suprise! Where's your girlfriend?

Tell me 'somphe, if my ethics pose no propriety due to such discussions, why do you feel obliged to patronise me with such deferences, as per your "a day in the life of" impression that pervades all your responses to me? Don't feel like you owe me one, buddy. :) You give the preacher authority when you respond to him.

Nice one, though, about Langerhans, I'll try not to be so …. sensitive.

I was just trying to say that we are all clearly above boorish faggot jokes.
G&C
QUOTE(smiley @ Nov 29 2008, 07:21 PM) *

I guess you've never tried opium in your absinthe, eh?
Dumass™
Absomphe
"I was just trying to say that we are all clearly above boorish faggot jokes."

That's comforting to know, Smiley.

Guess I won't have to suggest where you sequester that bundle of sticks, then.
smiley
QUOTE(G&C @ Nov 29 2008, 10:03 PM) *

QUOTE(smiley @ Nov 29 2008, 07:21 PM) *

I guess you've never tried opium in your absinthe, eh?
Dumass™

QUOTE(Absomphe @ Nov 29 2008, 10:09 PM) *

"I was just trying to say that we are all clearly above boorish faggot jokes."
That's comforting to know, Smiley.
Guess I won't have to suggest where you sequester that bundle of sticks, then.

I didn't come here to waste time in petty quarrels. You two will have to carry on without me, I just realised that there is so much more quality to life than donating even the smallest effort to these games.

speedle
QUOTE(smiley @ Nov 30 2008, 12:00 AM) *

I was just trying to say that we are all clearly above boorish faggot jokes.

Um, no. No we're not.
Tibro
QUOTE(Shabba53 @ Nov 30 2008, 02:20 AM) *

I hear that if you bring a goat to the edge of a cliff…

I think that answers who was behind your joining this forum, you syco.
Shabba53
dakini_painter
I didn't come here to waste time in petty quarrels. You two will have to carry on without me, I just realized that there is so much more quality to life than donating even the smallest effort to these games.

Then don't engage in the quarrels. If you want to get all upset, that's solely your responsibility.
Tibro
Just remember, you can't win if you don't play. Unfortunately, not playing is no guarantee that you may not already be a loser. Especially if you suck Lard from a goat's ass.
Kirk
It's like the credit cardet companies, not responding is responding.
Leopold
QUOTE(Provenance @ Nov 28 2008, 11:40 PM) *

There are more people making absinthe than know how to make absinthe. Expect the trend to continue. I hope this doesn't push the handful of current/potential quality CO distillers out of economic viabilty.

I can't speak for the other distillers, but we've found that we sell multiple bottles more than the usual suspects do at events where a 'flight' of Absinthe is tasted/available. People can indeed tell the difference if the get a chance. IMHO, there's a much better chance of obtaining brand loyalty w/Absinthe then there is for other spirits.

I should also say that we have many in-store tastings per week where we will serve our full line of spirits, and interest in Absinthe has not waned a whit. We have also found that an interesting demographic has continually purchased our Absinthe Verte at these events: women who are over retirement age. It seems the the usual explanation that we get from these women is that they lived in a major city with a large European population, and that they loved the anise-sweets that they were given as children. It's pretty neat.

This is just my opinion, but I don't think that the surface has been scratched when it comes to the Absinthe market in the US. The difficult part is getting potential customers to actually taste fine distilled Absinthe. Many States don't allow in-store tastings, and that's where you will see the big marketing $$ of the oil-absinthe makers rule the day. $70+ for a bottle for something they've never tasted before is a pretty big leap of faith for your average shopper.

Just my opinion.
Provenance
I respect and appreciate your opinion. My original comment could be restated to ask whether a variant of Gresham's Law applies to the domestic absinthe market.

In my experience, crap tends to push out quality. If the market is large enough, e.g., beer, there is sufficient room for commerically-viable quality niches. I don't know whether in the long run, after the novelty factor fades, the US absinthe market will be large enough to support quality products such as Leopold. I certainly hope so.
Jaded Prole
$70+ for a bottle for something they've never tasted before is a pretty big leap of faith for your average shopper.

Which is why the wise CO producer will also sell mini sampler bottles in liquor stores. Once someone shells out a couple of bucks and decides they like the product they will be more likely to invest in a bottle and become a loyal customer.
Leopold
I agree with that, JP. Mini bottles are a fine idea. Although at this point, so far as I can tell, most of us can't keep up with demand very well, so at this particular time, it's hard to justify the added cost. We'd have to hire an additional full-time employee just to fill the mini-bottles. It's likely that we'll hit them at some point because of our proximity to ski resorts and their concomitant mini-bars.

speedle
A mini-bar full of absinthe! Could make skiing fun again.
smiley
QUOTE(Jaded Prole @ Nov 30 2008, 02:40 PM) *

Which is why the wise CO producer will also sell mini sampler bottles in liquor stores.

Now that is a damn good idea. The only mini-bottles I've ever been able to get my hands on were spanish absentas that didn't really do any justice to absinthe. I believe vert d'absinthe sells little samples of better absinthes with purchases there, but I've never ordered with them because they're a little too expensive. Also, I believe that they are bottled there rather than produced as samples.

Seeing as absinthe is bottled at a much higher proof, mini-bottles would be a really great way of intorducing westerners to absinthe. 85+tax a bottle just isn't enticing. Especially for … certain bottles.
Wild Bill Turkey
QUOTE(Jaded Prole @ Nov 30 2008, 01:40 PM) *

Which is why the wise CO producer will also sell mini sampler bottles in liquor stores. Once someone shells out a couple of bucks and decides they like the product they will be more likely to invest in a bottle and become a loyal customer.

That should read "the wise producer of a drinkable CO absinthe".

I think Tourment Verte made a grievous error selling minis, allowing "collectors" to get a small version of the unique bottle, and allowing the curious taster a chance to find out how little the brand has to offer without dropping any real coin on a full-size bottle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.