Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hello from Wisconsin
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > General > The Entrance Hall
Funky D
Greetings from Milwaukee, land of Miller products, cheeseheads, and frequent inebriation. I may have lost a dose of respect by association, but as much as I love watching a Packer game while inhaling bratwursts and pitchers of Miller Lite, it all pales in comparison to a glass of Doubs sipped slowly in the comfort of solitude over the course of an hour or so.

My first "absinthe" experience was several years ago, and involved shots of some Czech gasoline-like poop.gif. It was as enjoyable as downing shots of grain alcohol at a frat party. My friend told me stories of green fairies and hallucinations and severed ears. Instead we got incoherently drunk and vomited the evening to a close.

I've come a long way since, searching feverishly online for tales of the fairy, only to find she is a tale within herself. But the culture and history behind absinthe kept me intrigued, and I finally purchased a dusty bottle of Lucid a few months ago on a whim. My taste buds were perked enough to surrender my wallet to LdF, and suffice to say I've been a bit obsessed ever since.

Anyway, I've been lurking these boards since that first "experience" a few years ago, and decided to finally come out of the woodwork. I'd also like to thank the absinthe connoisseurs among you for pointing the inexperienced like myself towards the "good stuff." Unfortunately, Lucid hasn't been the same since the Doubs, 1901, and Roquette arrived.

As far as non-absinthe-related ramblings are concerned, my day job revolves around IT and my nights revolve around music, procrastination, and/or random intoxication. When I'm able to pull myself away from the green stuff, I enjoy a nice porter or stout, gin martini, or jack on the rocks.

Cheers! abs-cheers.gif

-paul
OCvertDe
Welcome Paul. Now is a fantastic time to surrender your wallet to LdF, as the exchange rate is more favorable than it's been in years. Having more to show for going broke is a good thing abs-cheers.gif
Donnie Darko
Welcome! This is a good time for Absinthe. A friend and I were reminiscing about what it was like 8 years ago, when it would take 6 weeks to get a brown package from Spirits Corner in Spain containing a bottle of nasty Deva, and how exciting that was. Things have come a long way…
Absomphe
La Bleue shipped from Mississippi was quicker, and tastier than that back then, but there sure wasn't a whole helluva lot of choice in those days. Things have come a long way, indeed.

Welcome, Paul. abs-cheers.gif
Absinthesizer
Welcome. You'll find this to be an amazingly informative group, and imbued with a deep spirit of healthy contentiousness.*

*Translation: But watch out for the … never mind, you'll find out soon enough.
Guru Antar Singh
Welcome! I'm a fairly new comer and in the little time I've been here, I have associated with some fine and extremely knowledgeable absinthilectuals. Enjoy!
dakini_painter
glass of Doubs sipped slowly in the comfort of solitude over the course of an hour or so.

Welcome, and drink faster. abs-cheers.gif
bobt
Greetings Paul, and welcome here!
Funky D
Thank you all for the warm welcome! Given my limited experience with absinthe, I have personally learned some valuable lessons:

- Although several glasses of absinthe may give me a lighter and clearer intoxication than other alcoholic beverages, an addition several glasses will not make me more insightful. They will turn me into a bumbling idiot.

- Friends new to absinthe should never be given the "good stuff" until they are tested with Kubler and/or Lucid, as there is nothing more painful than seeing 1901 spat back into the glass.

- A night started with absinthe should never end with tequila.

I guess sometimes one has to learn the hard way. To reward myself for making it through these trials and tribulations, I placed another order to LdF which should be arriving tomorrow. Just in time for the holiday weekend! biggrin.gif My next order will probably be stateside… not sure if I'll be able to wait for those Vieux Pontarlier reviews though.

A local distiller, Great Lakes Distillery, also has an absinthe in the works. They make an excellent vodka and gin, so I'm excited to see what they cook up.

Exciting times indeed!
Nephrite
Exciting unless you're effected by the economic downturn, then the price of absinthe is relative. Fortunately, there were a couple unused credit cards laying around here.

Welcome!
thegreenimp
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Nov 24 2008, 10:10 AM) *

Welcome! This is a good time for Absinthe. A friend and I were reminiscing about what it was like 8 years ago, when it would take 6 weeks to get a brown package from Spirits Corner in Spain containing a bottle of nasty Deva, and how exciting that was. Things have come a long way…

But we were happier then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo
Donnie Darko
The young people of today just won't believe you when you try and tell them that.
Guru Antar Singh
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Nov 26 2008, 10:34 AM) *

The young people of today just won't believe you when you try and tell them that.

I'm willing to throw a few chips on the table that I'm one of the youngest in this forum, yet, I can definitely appreciate the fondness of the past. But that fondness comes from a simple practice of being completely in the moment. Every inhale… every exhale. Rich or poor, happy or unhappy. Without being completely in the this moment one would not have integrity within their recollection. So, Funky D, here's to every resonating sip you take in that warm place you call solitude. Cheers! abs-cheers.gif
thegreenimp
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Nov 26 2008, 09:34 AM) *

Those Heady early nights when the earth shook under the foot prints of the legendary ones. LARS!.gif

They wouldn't believe it.
Steve
QUOTE(Funky D @ Nov 24 2008, 07:00 PM) *

- A night started with absinthe should never end with tequila.

Au contraire. Some of the best nights of drinking absinthe I've ever experienced included tequila.
OCvertDe
Ended with though?
synthetic buddhist
I've had the two in one night, and made it work. How, I'm not sure, but with proper handling it's amazing what can be accomplished.
Steve
QUOTE(OCvertDe @ Nov 26 2008, 06:02 PM) *

Ended with though?

One night ended with vintage absinthe. The next night ended with tequila slammers. And the following night we drank a bottle of very nice tequila at the bal d'absinthe, and the stone (?) bottle top doubled as a self-defense tool on the long walk home.
dakini_painter
QUOTE(thegreenimp @ Nov 26 2008, 07:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Nov 26 2008, 09:34 AM) *

Those Heady early nights when the earth shook under the foot prints of the legendary ones. LARS!.gif

They wouldn't believe it.

The dinosaurs drank absinthe? Now a bottle of that would be serious pre-Ban!
Funky D
Perhaps I can make absinthe and tequila come to terms with each other in my system as well. I would have all but given up the combination, but these stories of success have inspired me. Reading this forum is a great method for self improvement. Soon I'll be out of my shoebox, drinking the last bottle of pre-ban, reminiscing of days past. Or I'll be waking up, moderately hung over, with an empty bottle of 1901 at my side and a maxed out American Express card in my wallet.
Steve
I wouldn't normally drink tequila slammers but Oxy always insists. I certainly wouldn't drink that kind of tequila alone; the company is the essential part.

Then John brought a bottle of this stuff to the dance at Boveresse, and it was excellent:
IPB Image
Funky D
Thanks for that image; I'm always on the lookout for interesting tequilas. My favorite has been Herradura Reposado, probably because it was the first "real" tequila I ever tasted. Holds a special place in my heart, next to the Doubs of course.
synthetic buddhist
Kinda how I feel about PF 1901. The first "real" flavor I tried, and ended up liking it most out of the Jades after a bit of, um, research. Although it sure as heck doesn't taste like real PF from the Good Ol' Days it has a place in my heart-- but given the chance to stockpile a brand it would probably be La Coquette at this point. PF tastes too damn sweet for me nowadays…
Doctor Love

QUOTE(Funky D @ Nov 28 2008, 03:33 PM) *
Or I'll be waking up, moderately hung over, with an empty bottle of 1901 at my side.

Been there, kinda sad to wake up to that when you know there was no way you really appreciated the second half of the bottle…

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.