Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for suggestions
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe Brands Discussion
Mozaki
I had an absinthe kick (as I call it) a few years back and tried 5 brands. Forgive me if I cant remember a couple of names. Also if I don't use the terms you are used to. I'm not a pro wink.gif

I read that the one I liked has changed it's formula. I don't know that it was highly regarded before that either, but I liked it.

-Logan Fils - Liked this enough to get it three times. Not as tasty as a couple of others, but still good and gave me consistantly great experiance. Looked pretty in the glass too.
-Un Emile Pernot -Liked the flavor alot! Decent absinthe experiance and looked nice. Would buy again.
-Vert d'Absinthe - Tasted nice. But it just didnt really do much for me otherwise.
I can't remeber the other 2, but they were highly rated. I think one was a Kubler? The one that I think was kubler tasted very alcohol-y and not strong enough on the anise?

What I am looking for is a good quality brand. I want it to look nice when it is prepared and have a good anise flavor. I don't see this discussed much, but I have found that my favorite absinthes gave me a little special warm fuzzy feeling wink.gif …and that is important too!

So If I am going to try one absinthe to get back into it… what should it be? :)
smiley
Read the reviews on the Buyer's Guide. They're pretty accurate on the whole, and they'll give you an idea of what to expect. Try one of the Matter absinthes to start. The duplais verte and balance are great. Clandestine La Bleue should be your next try. At least thats how it went for me, and I enjoyed the progression. Or if you really like the anise, try a spanish absenta, they're usually heavier in that department, but they lack the clarity of a distilled absinthe.

On another note, absinthe is all about the wormwood, it'll grow on you.
Shabba53
QUOTE(smiley @ Dec 4 2008, 09:45 PM) *

try a spanish absenta, they're usually heavier in that department, but they lack the clarity of a distilled absinthe.

Aside from Obsello, of course.
Provenance
Go for the Logan Fils, probably the best absinthe available today.
smiley
QUOTE(Shabba53 @ Dec 4 2008, 08:11 PM) *

Aside from Obsello, of course.

Obsello isn't an oil mix, you're quite right Shabba. I've heard that it is weird, I'd like to try it, its really cheap too, only 24 euros from FSC.
Doctor Love

I quite enjoy it, I don't find it weird at all. Weird is St. George, the Italian Pasta Dish of absinthes, or Taboo, aka distilled Juicy Fruit Gum. I think Obsello is one of the best values out there, it's not as heavy or serious as some absinthes, but imho makes up for it with a satisfying vanilla overtone that suits an after dinner drink.
Shabba53
I would most definitely call it unique, but not wierd. It's very enjoyable. I had a chance to try his Special Reserve while in Madrid. That was crazy good. I told him it was like an absinthe that just stepped out of the shower. Very fresh and clean.

His gin was bangin' too.
Steyr850
QUOTE(Doctor Love @ Dec 5 2008, 01:43 AM) *

Taboo, aka distilled Juicy Fruit Gum.

Sorry doc, but that ain't the Juicy Fruit™.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Provenance @ Dec 4 2008, 10:17 PM) *

Go for the Logan Fils, probably the best absinthe available today.

Yeah, and the nekkid "fairy" on the Logan Fils blanche banner proves it.
absinthist
Lest we forget:

Logan Fils is the only absinthe made from WINE on the market today and probably the strongest as far as the portion of wormwood and other essences is concerned. And real herbs are used to obtain the desired colour. Unlike most commercial brands, no artificial essences or colorants are used.

Since the essences of wormwood in Logan Fils are in the same proportions as in genuine absinthes from the 19th century, it exceeds this limit by far and therefore can NOT be sold commercially in those countries.

The unhealthy effects of bad alcohols are well known, especially the amyl essences contained in all potato, grain, and beet alcohols, which are absent in spirits distilled from wine. When absinthe is prepared from spirits distilled from wine and maceration of plants in the alcohol followed by a methodical distillation, the product obtained is healthy and tonic.

Are there any other psychoactive elements present in Absinthe ?

Anise is another one of the main herbs used in making legitimate Absinthe. It is not toxic, however a strong dose induces drunkenness, trembling, epileptic convulsions, muscle spasms, analgesia and sleep, just like opium.
Fennel, as has anise seed, fennel seed has a potentially psychoactive anethole.
Hyssop, in progressive doses, is believed to have a convulsive property.
Angelica root is grown as a drug in Lapland.
Coriander is mentioned as an aphrodisiac in the Arabic One Thousand and One Nights, and is said, in the same text, to conjure up the Devil when used in combination with fennel.
Calamis contains psychoactive asarones, used as an inebriant by Native Americans.

Stinks of erowid, ain't it?
Provenance
Lest we forget:
Logan Fils - Liked this enough to get it three times.
Donnie Darko
It gives consistantly™ grate™ experiance™.
Wolfgang
For a "great experience", you could as well swallow a whole bottle of cough syrup. Much less expensive than a bottle of absinthe.

Of course if you want it to taste good, then that's another story.

Aim for the premium distilled French and Swiss absinthes, you should be happy about it. Taste and aroma should be your number one concern while buying absinthe.

Don't focus on the "buzz", if you drink absinthe on a regular basis, you will feel it less and less and it will take you more and more to feel it and at some point, too much ethanol will be your problem. It's like a bait used by the green fairy to lure you into alcoholism.

(That's not gonna make me popular around here…)
Absomphe
QUOTE(Wolfgang @ Dec 5 2008, 11:05 AM) *

For a "grateexperience", you could as well swallow a whole bottle of cough syrup.

Buckley's Mixture™ will fill the bill marvelously! chickawow.gif
Crumple
Pop's got ted's xit on special, it's not bad.
Provenance
QUOTE(Absomphe @ Dec 5 2008, 03:07 PM) *

Buckley's Mixture™

Perhaps you meant Brown's Mixture.
Mozaki
aren't you all charming?

thank you for the replies. I won't be drinking it regularly and have so far avoided convulsions despite my bad choice. I can see where you might have more concern if you drank it regularly… you are talking to someone who managed to get quinine poisoning (decided it was still good without gin and furthermore far tastier than actual water.), but that’s another story. But, still I don't want poison or something generally nasty so thanks for the info.

I can't remember where I found out about logan fils… a recommendation by someone I'm sure. I got it 3 times and then moved on to see what else was out there. I'm trashy like that.

Since I can't tell what replies are sarcastic after the first one I will probably try the Matter after looking through the guide again. The guide is a little overwhelming so I'm glad to have a starting point.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Provenance @ Dec 5 2008, 09:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Absomphe @ Dec 5 2008, 03:07 PM) *

Buckley's Mixture™

Perhaps you meant Brown's Mixture.

Sounds tastier than Buckley's, and certainly balztrippier™.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.