Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Brouilleur Repros
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthiana & Collectibles
Wild Bill Turkey
Anybody notice that Alandia has started offering two new styles of replica Brouilleurs?

IPB Image IPB Image

Already up for resale on ebay, complete with links to the Virtual Absinthe Museum.
Head_prosthesis
Franklin Mint

Click to view attachment
Donnie Darko
Those wacky absinthe enthusiasts, they'll buy anything!
Marc
Thanks Bill, I wasn't aware those were replicated too.
Rimbaud
Pretty cool, especially the one with the spike.
G&C
I have an old one with the spike.
Doctor Love

I assume the spike prevents splashing?

Recently I've been enjoying my see-saw brouille from absinthedevil immensely. I shouldn't have spent the money on it but what the hell.

G&C
I find it works best if you fill the glass with water, then add the Absinthe through the spike.

I really don't use it much as I have so many nice spoons and grilles to use for drip deceleration.
Marc
G&C is right, that's presumably how it should work.
See here.
Selmac
It's hard to imagine getting a good louche with that method.

Cool repros though.
dakini_painter
I haven't used the spike brouilleur, so I might be way off base. But I'd think that since the louche occurs due to the solubility differences of anethole between water and alcohol it would still louche perhaps nearly as well. That's my guess.
G&C
Sorry, you guessed wrong.
I always get a weaker louche using the spike.

Shabba53
Similar to the debate on turbolouching. There is definitely a difference. At least with the brands I experimented with.
absinthist
QUOTE(G&C @ Dec 11 2008, 05:00 PM) *

I find it works best if you fill the glass with water, then add the Absinthe through the spike.

Indeed!™ It creates nice, unexpected louche actions. Whereas buying the old is understandable, why spend money on replica you can make yourself (if YouTube allow, you will see both movies today or tomorrow evill.gif).

It is just the prototype, but I am fixing it and tomorrow making the fully-professional viddie with the action in full swing*! Thanks to Oxy for discovering it, thanks to G&C for recommending it.

The only problem is that thanks to antibiotics I have no taste, so cannot say whether the reversing of action has influence on taste or not. The louche as you see is different according to the extrait and G&C's making a valid point-it is weaker (the louche, not the extrait).

*at the very moment I have lowered the spike so it fits to both the plate and the cup.

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=muPwB78vgy0

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=bB2EiHg__0M
G&C
It's way too dark. I can't see what's going on.
Crumple
Me neither, where's the spike and why's the spike
dakini_painter
QUOTE(G&C @ Dec 12 2008, 07:04 PM) *

Sorry, you guessed wrong.
I always get a weaker louche using the spike.

Interesting. Obviously the inventor(s) thought it was a good idea. Even "Patent pending". Or was it simply a little marketing gimmick? Is the louche significantly weaker? Obviously it's noticeable.

Though from the sample demonstrations on the pages mthulli referenced, the louche looks quite reasonable.
Kirk
Seems backwards to me, but so do I
G&C
DP- It really depends on the absinthe but the louche is always weaker.
absinthist
QUOTE(G&C @ Dec 12 2008, 04:44 PM) *

It's way too dark. I can't see what's going on.

Here is the promised morning version-hope it is more visible. I had a limit of time left, though, so the pic of fully-louched absinthe using that stuff can be seen below.

IPB Image

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=eVLbcYP8U1Y

Now watching it I see there should be more water so the spike could immerse in, but dripping instead of streaming is also a fun to watch.
G&C
Or a longer spike.
absinthist
That is possible and w/metal:

IPB Image

G&C
There ya go!
dakini_painter
I'm sorry but that absinthe doesn't louche. Try again.
Tibro
Guess it's not about how long the spike is, or even how you use it. It just don't make it milky enough.
absinthist
Following G&C's advice I have made two viddies today.

The first one shows the brouilleur action with la bleue, hence it is so short as les bleues tend to be badiane bombs and the louche is a quickie; still it is not as milky as with the regular method.

Second viddie is more spectacular, louching is gradual and spike gently disappears in the potion. I have also demonstrated how accurate is the dripper inside the spike.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.