Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OASIS!!!
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Entertainment
Pages: 1, 2
Patlow
Nuf said!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2AYeBrt920…feature=related
Patlow
Going to NYC to see them at Madison Square Garden! Nobody here cares! But I am still mad fer it! Yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaah!!!
Absomphe
My sympathies.
Patlow
Shut up, YOU!
Absomphe
Quit yer whinin' Liam! harhar.gif
Rimbaud
Actually, the new record is the best thing they've done since their heyday (first two records).

I just listened to it this morning. Pretty dang tasty.
Patlow
Yeah. It's out there, in a really good way. Come by tonight! MSG.
Rimbaud
QUOTE(Patlow @ Dec 17 2008, 01:13 PM) *

Yeah. It's out there, in a really good way. Come by tonight! MSG.

Love to, but I'm tapped with all the holiday-related expenses & whatnot.

Maybe I'll catch ya at L'Absinthe tomorrow night…
Patlow
Through a friend of my girlfriend at Spin magazine, I made it to the Oasis after party. As one might expect, it went LATE. I can't do anything tonight, regrettably.
Patlow
Review of show…

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12192008/enter…wow__144824.htm
Rimbaud
I met Liam one morning a couple of years ago while on my way to class at about 8:45 in the morning - walking down 14th Street about half a block from school.

I saw him approaching and, as he got nearer, I pointed and mouthed "Liam Gallagher?". He ran up to me, said "fookin' right, man!", and gave me a big hug.

Surreal as fuck.
Patlow
That is really cool. Great Oasis story! He gets a bad rap, but as far as I can tell, he's cool as hell.
smiley
Wonderwall and Champagne Supernova. I actually like the guy's distinctive whine. Its a kind of idiosyncratic quality that brings an extra dimension to a band.
Rimbaud
"Wonderwall" is probably my least favorite Oasis single.

"Live Forever" is probably my favorite. Had it played at my wedding. Hired the DJ that spins at the longest running Britpop night in NYC, Tiswas. Nick Marc is his name. Great guy and he really knows his music.
Donnie Darko
Funny, I went to Tiswas back around 2003. That was the only time in my life I've ever had a good time at a club. It wasn't a coke-fiend meat market like most other clubs, just a place where everybody knew the music really well and the DJ was fantastic. I thought maybe other non-Tiswas nights at Don Hills were good too so I went back and had the worst night I've ever had at a club. I actually got thrown out that night.

That's awesome you had Nick DJ at your wedding.
Patlow
I was going to TISWAS in the late 90's when it was on St. Mark's. Great time, great DJ! They have something called, "Manchester Night" in a trendy neighborhood here in Phili which I think tries to replicate that. I want to check it out soon. It all depends on the DJ.

I used to DJ at Serena and HALO in 2000-2002 and play that kind of music, mixed with newer rock and roll, but it didn't go over very well with the clientele in that part of town as it got later and wanted "something to dance to." A hip-hop DJ would come on at 12 at which point my friends and I would leave. Pfff…
Patlow
BTW… I am not alone. This is the peoples' votes.

http://www.nme.com/news/oasis/43043
Patlow
Although…

http://www.nme.com/news/daily-gossip/43427

Dr. O might be right!
Patlow
OASIS!!!

Now, more than ever…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag0CB5mFL6Y…feature=related
Patlow
Coldplay sucks. U2 sucks. Radiohead sucks. There is no substitute:

http://www.youtube.com/oasisinetofficial#p/a/u/0/ANjYFNgqrOc
Absomphe
Whine and cheese.

Two grate tastes that taste grate together. harhar.gif
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Patlow @ Jun 11 2010, 03:03 AM) *

I do think Oasis is much better than Coldplay. But Radiohead and U2? Are you crazy?

Oasis is really good at doing fun anthem-ish feel-good kind of tracks. They definitely know how to rock. But I still have yet to hear one note from them that carries the innovative introspection that can be found in Radiohead or that chimey simple and poignant sound U2 has defined. I wouldn't insult U2 to even try to compare Wonderwall or Whatever with something like New Years Day or Sunday Bloody Sunday. On a level of pure musicianship, Johnny Greenwood and The Edge could run circles around Noel Gallagher. And while Noel is a gifted lyricist, do you really think he's got equivalent writing abilities to Thom Yorke or Bono?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Cure fan for example. But as much as they will always be my favorite band, Thom Yorke is a better lyricist than Robert Smith and Johnny Greenwood and The Edge are better guitarists. Just a little perspective…
hobgoblin
QUOTE(Patlow @ Jun 11 2010, 03:03 AM) *

I can see what Patlow's getting at. It all depends what you classify as 'good'. Are you judging the technical skills of individual musicians in the band or are you judging the band in terms of their skill, their impact, the overall feel, their attitude and their emotional impact as a band?

I'd far rather have Oasis than either Coldplay or U2 and I prefer them to Radiohead. I do think they're a better band. Maybe not better individual musicians or songwriters, but definitely a better band.

Bono and Chris Martin are now so far up their own arses, and while Radiohead are indeed great they lack the emotional connection that Oasis have with fans.
Donnie Darko
I guess it just depends on which shows you've been to. Radiohead puts on an incredibly precise and unique show, with numerous jaw dropping moments. In spite of how "produced" their albums sound, they manage to pull it off and more live. And yeah, Bono is a clown, but U2 live definitely makes a tremendous emotional connection with their fans (anybody who went to their post 9/11 show at MSG will attest to that probably being the best show by any band they've ever seen, even if they weren't a huge U2 fan).

It is, of course, largely subjective, and just because Oasis doesn't emotionally resonate with me doesn't mean they don't emotionally resonate with a ton of people. But just because Radiohead and U2 don't emotionally resonate with somebody doesn't mean they don't have the same emotional connection with fans as Oasis.

I see what Patlow is getting at, but someone else's thing doesn't have to suck in order for your thing to be good. And "emotional connection with fans" is not much of a measure. I dare say Miley Cyrus probably has a tremendous emotional connection with her fans, even though her songs are likely written by somebody else and she'd be nothing without backing tape and auto-tune, and her fans consist entirely of pre-pubescent girls and child molesting inclined older men. For me what measures the quality of a band is how they have uniquely defined a "sound", in addition to their emotional resonance and musical skill. I guess the "sound" that Oasis has defined is that nicely done nasaly harmony between the Gallagher brothers, being the signature identifier of "Brit-pop" much in the way that Nirvana's sound became the signature identifier of grunge, and Nirvana is the pinnacle example of the genre much as Oasis is the pinnacle example of Brit-pop (yeah, I know, the term is a media invention, not something the band associates themselves with, but the label sticks anyway).

But sometimes a band manages to really transcend a genre. For example, in what genre can Radiohead be classified? In what genre can U2 be classified? In what genre can The Cure be classified? In what genre can The Talking Heads be classified? In Oasis's genre, I can put in several other bands that fit their mold (Ride, Blur, Supergrass), but the other bands I listed have completely their own thing going, making them more transcendent and thus in my opinion "better" than Oasis. But that's just my personal definition….
hobgoblin
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Jun 12 2010, 01:17 PM) *
But sometimes a band manages to really transcend a genre. For example, in what genre can Radiohead be classified? In what genre can U2 be classified? In what genre can The Cure be classified? In what genre can The Talking Heads be classified? In Oasis's genre, I can put in several other bands that fit their mold (Ride, Blur, Supergrass), but the other bands I listed have completely their own thing going, making them more transcendent and thus in my opinion "better" than Oasis. But that's just my personal definition….

The fact that a band cannot be pigeon-holed in the same genre as other bands doesn't mean they are somehow better than others as a result of that. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and, until the Libertines arrived, so many new British bands seemed to be trying to sound like Oasis. Maybe it reflects a lack of imagination in the new bands, but surely it reflects positively on Oasis and their influence on British music.

You could argue that Kurt Cobain copied the Pixies sound. Does that mean that the Pixies were mediocre, unlike U2 who nobody has tried to copy?
Tibro
As far as I can tell none of these groups can be a band because they don't smoke the same cigarettes as me.

Fortunately, as far as I know, none of them seem interested in telling me how white my shirts could be, either.
Kirk
Satisfied?
Tibro
I tried.
Patlow
I was quite drunk when I posted that and had been in a horrible conversation about how "Important U2 and Radiohead are" and I just couldn't agree and made an angry post about it.

I think Radiohead is an amazingly talented band, but their music just bores me and I have never felt anything from them. U2, I simply do not like. And the Edge as a guitar player, I just don't know about that. He invented a that U2 sound, but feel like it's all effect pedals. And Bono makes me want to puke when I even see his face.

Noel Gallagher is very mediocre guitar player but amazing song writer. His lyrics are fun and sometimes sad, but not terribly poignant and I don't think he thinks they are either. He just has a great knack for putting a lot of cool words together, and I really dig the style.

He and Liam were so much fun and they saved me from the horrible Seattle music scene which I could never relate to when in college. I guess if you're not a fan it's hard to get on a surface level. But their music and movement was magical and monumental for a lot of people.

And…I've seen all these bands live and nothing ever felt like an Oasis concert for me as far as overall energy or sheer happiness factor.

Coldplay. I just fucking hate Coldplay. Worthless shit masquerading as something worthwhile. Rubbish.

Anyway, DD, I really get what you are saying here. You always make a lot of sense. And I don't think bands should be compared head to head, again, I posted that after an annoying conversation that had me thinking that way.

And Hobgoblin, thanks for sticking up for them! Cheers!

abs-cheers.gif

Leopold
Did any of you guys catch this commercial during the World Cup, with several BritPop gaffers? Love that Ian Brown is there, flicking beer mats around, and causing trouble.

Addidas SW Cantina
hobgoblin
QUOTE(Leopold @ Jun 13 2010, 06:24 PM) *

Love that Ian Brown is there, flicking beer mats around, and causing trouble.
Ian Brown is an absolute legend. Pure genius. The Stone Roses were the best British band since The Who. The most influential British 'Indie' band ever. An amazing band.

And while we're on the subject of the World Cup, would somebody on your side of 'the pond' have a word with the New York Post and explain that 1-1 is a draw (not a win) and point out that you were playing England yesterday (not England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland combined - ie. the British).
IPB Image

Hopefully they won't be expecting to play Man United in the next round.

But credit where credit is due, the USA played well yesterday. You were lucky that our keeper made such a dreadful error in letting the ball out of his hands like that, but you played well. I still reckon that you didn't quite deserve a draw, but that's football for you.
Tibro
Whaddya expect? It's the New York Post. Not quite up to the Pulitizer standards of the National Enquirer, I'm afraid. Better luck next time.
Patlow
Yes, and he's sitting with good ol' Noel! Love it!

Edit: And Ian Brown is godlike genius. Stone Roses were first band I ever really loved as an "adult."
Leopold
QUOTE(hobgoblin @ Jun 13 2010, 01:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Leopold @ Jun 13 2010, 06:24 PM) *

Love that Ian Brown is there, flicking beer mats around, and causing trouble.
Ian Brown is an absolute legend. Pure genius. The Stone Roses were the best British band since The Who. The most influential British 'Indie' band ever. An amazing band.

My friends and I picked up the Stone Roses (vinyl, of course) the week it came out over here. It literally made our summer. That, and the Monday's 12" W.F.L. My friend's room was in the cellar, and still distinctly remember the 1st time we took it out of its sleeve, and plopped the needle down for the 1st time. By the time we were finished listening, it was time to hit the bars, and Manchester was the new center to the universe. We had mistakenly thought that every band we had loved in the past (the Smiths, New Order, Echo, etc.) were all from London.

We spent the rest of the summer trying to find CD's and vinyl of the Stone Roses older stuff….Sally Cinnamon, etc.

I'm still pissed that the stupid lawyers and label contracts delayed their second album for so long. What a waste.

hobgoblin
Stone Roses were just pure class. Ian Brown may indeed sound like he's "shouting into a bucket" but it matters not; nothing can beat the energy, emotion, and swagger of Ian Brown.
Artemis
but that's football for you

No. That's soccer. The New Orleans Saints play football.
hobgoblin
QUOTE(Artemis @ Jun 13 2010, 10:20 PM) *

but that's football for you

No. That's soccer. The New Orleans Saints play football.

Football's a game where the ball is kicked with the FOOT, not picked up, held and run about with like the game you lot erroneously call football, that game should be called handball.

Anyway Artemis, how are? Its been a long time since I've posted on here.
Artemis
I know, I was surprised to see you back. I was gone for a long time myself. I can't pretend to be happy, but at least nothing terrible has happened so far today. I hope you're reasonably okay.
Absomphe
QUOTE(hobgoblin @ Jun 13 2010, 02:50 PM) *

that game should be called handball.

No, that's a game in which a very hard rubber ball is hit against an even harder wall with a gloved hand.

But, hey, who knows what version of that game the English could come up with.

Turnabout is fair play, after all.

hobgoblin
QUOTE(Absomphe @ Jun 14 2010, 03:17 AM) *

QUOTE(hobgoblin @ Jun 13 2010, 02:50 PM) *

that game should be called handball.

No, that's a game in which a very hard rubber ball is hit against an even harder wall with a gloved hand.

But, hey, who knows what version of that game the English could come up with.

Turnabout is fair play, after all.

Something like this perhaps? Eton fives. Courts made of brick and concrete, with a small wall sticking out into the court. They've a whole row of these courts at Eton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mav21iq3eac
hobgoblin
QUOTE(Artemis @ Jun 13 2010, 11:01 PM) *
I hope you're reasonably okay.

I'm fine Artemis. Life is ticking along nicely, just the usual crap that everyone has to deal with.
Absomphe
QUOTE(hobgoblin @ Jun 14 2010, 09:23 AM) *

Something like this perhaps? Eton fives. Courts made of brick and concrete, with a small wall sticking out into the court. They've a whole row of these courts at Eton.

Indeed.

Very similar to four wall American handball, but the rustic "courts" look more bad assed.
hobgoblin
Trouble is only the privileged few who's parents can pay vast school fees (around £30,000 per annum) can play this game as the courts only exist in such schools (and only pupils and 'old-boys' can play on them). The class system is still very much alive and kicking over here.

A shame really as it looks like a decent game.
Absomphe
Funny, most of the handball courts I played on in my youth were in very blue collar neighborhoods in Brooklyn.

The only game still relegated to the social register types on this side of the pond is polo, and for all I know, that's changed, as well.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Leopold @ Jun 13 2010, 01:24 PM) *

Did any of you guys catch this commercial during the World Cup, with several BritPop gaffers? Love that Ian Brown is there, flicking beer mats around, and causing trouble.

Addidas SW Cantina

HA! That's brilliant!
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(hobgoblin @ Jun 13 2010, 03:40 PM) *

would somebody on your side of 'the pond' have a word with the New York Post and explain that 1-1 is a draw (not a win) and point out that you were playing England yesterday

Thanks for that copy of the The NY Post, I was out of toilet paper.
hobgoblin
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Jun 15 2010, 01:03 PM) *

Thanks for that copy of the The NY Post, I was out of toilet paper.

It's that sort of paper then? A sort of American equivalent to the British 'News of The World'?
Absomphe
Once upon a time, it was actually a fair to middling newspaper, but it eventually went down the tabloid path of that other NYC asswipe, The Daily News.
Tibro
And they've come to specialize in exactly those kind of in-your-face WTF headlines.
Donnie Darko
I don't know, I think they're a pretty reliable source of information.

IPB Image

They've been a piece of shit paper since day 1. My favorite line from that 80s comedy "Top Secret" is when they're in a German prison and the man in charge refers to the guard and says "Klaus is a moron, he believes only what he reads in the NY Post".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.