Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It's Payback Time
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > The Newgate Calendar
dakini_painter
I guess we're doomed. According to the Parowan Prophet the nukes will rain down soon. Very soon. I've got some likker here, so I think I'm all set.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/na…0,2231803.story
Mindshifter
I've often wondered how silly these "prophets", not to mention all the different kinds of doomsday sects etc, must feel when it turns out their prophecies didn't come true? If it really is someone's honest belief, it must be a hard blow.
OCvertDe
They probably take failure much like weathermen.
Mindshifter
Like the saying goes: "There is no bad weather, only bad weathermen".
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Mindshifter @ Dec 18 2008, 08:01 PM) *

I've often wondered how silly these "prophets", not to mention all the different kinds of doomsday sects etc, must feel when it turns out their prophecies didn't come true? If it really is someone's honest belief, it must be a hard blow.

It just encourages them. For example… The Seventh-Day Adventist church was started as a doomsday cult led by William Miller (called Millerites at the time). He predicted the world would end on October 22 of 1844. When it didn't end, as we all might have noticed, about half of the membership left. For the half who stayed, he said that the 1844 date was just God testing their faith, and that they had passed the test. Today the Seventh-Day Adventist church has about 15 million members.
G&C
We could have gone so far if not for the church.
Tibro
QUOTE(Mindshifter @ Dec 19 2008, 02:29 AM) *

Like the saying goes: "There is no bad weather, only …"

…inappropriate clothing.
OCvertDe
"Inappropriate", when it comes to clothing, is relative on a case by case basis… weather be damned.

Although, I've found that the less likely someone is to have anything you want to see, the more likely they are to flaunt it.
And vice verse, unless you hang out with supermodels.
G&C
Supermodels are overrated.
dakini_painter
Perhaps not all…

Click to view attachment
OCvertDe
Nicely played.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.