Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Leopold Bros. Absinthe Verte
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe Brands Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
Steve
How about moving the discussion from the Entrance Hall down here? I couldn't find any other topic about Leopold Bros. absinthe.

I noticed DUNY is now taking preorders. Todd, what batch will those bottles be from? One of our local BevMo's still has 2 bottles of batch 6 sitting in the window…
Leopold
DUNY is starting with 14. 15 shortly thereafter.

Hmm. Batch 6? Is it in a window display, and won't get rotated?
Steve
That BevMo is really stupid (SF-Geary). This was actually about a month ago, and I swore to never go to that one again (they have super-narrow aisles and it was gridlocked). They didn't know anything about your absinthe, they said they didn't have it. I told them according to their website they have 2 bottles. They finally found it in a locked glass display case in the window. I told them no thanks when I saw the batch no.
Grim
What batch are you on now?
Steve
QUOTE(Leopold @ Dec 20 2008, 12:56 PM) *

Is it in a window display, and won't get rotated?

The way it works at BevMo is, the higher priced stuff is generally all locked up. There is no shelf display for the things that are locked up, although it is fairly random which things they choose to put in the locked cabinets. Generally, they won't even hand you the bottle, they will take it up to the register and you pick it up there when you check out.
Leopold
That's weird.

Grim….we're at #15 for bottling.
Kirk
I'm on #11 yet and it's still the best thing I've bought off the shelf.
synthetic buddhist
As am I. Yesington!
Grim
QUOTE(Leopold @ Dec 20 2008, 08:18 PM) *
Grim….we're at #15 for bottling.

What changes are you working into the next batch, if any?
Donnie Darko
Nice. Bye bye money.
Leopold
I'm pretty much done with the large scale changes, Grim. I've been increasing the rectification of the Pisco base, but only slightly. Those batches won't be bottled for a few months, however.

As it stands now, it's a question of fine tuning, getting the consistency together, and dealing with this year's herb harvest. Same terroir with all the herbs, happily.

We have a new still arriving in Feb/March, but I won't be using it for Absinthe production. Straight potstill with a 9 ft. tall swan's neck, and the lyne arm angled down to 135 degrees when viewed from the front. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Rye. Bourbon. Rum. Fun yeast strains.

Thanks for the kind words, Kirk. Hopefully the fine tuning will make it even better.
Patlow
QUOTE(Kirk @ Dec 20 2008, 08:26 PM) *

I'm on #11 yet and it's still the best thing I've bought off the shelf.

I wish I had a shelf with that on it! We got nothin' here…
Patlow
Drink Up NY has it now, YES! (Well, on the 26th, they say). Good stuff! I might have needed to PTFA, b/c this might have been mentioned earlier here but I didn't grasp it. Anyway, I got an email from them saying it would soon be in stock.
traineraz
It might be worth adding the batch numbers to the reviews in the Buyer's Guide. 64 and 72 are not numbers which encourage me to spend money, but the most recent is from August and likely from one of the older batches. The commentary I'm reading in this thread leads me to believe recent batches would score substantially higher . . .
Nephrite
Good point! I wasn't going to say anything onna cuz #10 is so available here and I don't want to see it disappear before my next paycheck.
Kirk
I tried #14 last night and thought it was a very good absinthe. The flavors were pretty much all there and fairly well balanced. The finishing note of citrus has been toned down. I would say the lingering flavor is somewhat bitter, somewhat citrus, not at all unpleasant and not the lemon drop finish of #11. To me, this is a classic tasting absinthe, this is exactly what absinthe tastes like. It's still the best absinthe I've bought off the shelf. It has some flaws but I've never bought a flawless absinthe.
Donnie Darko
I think it's OK that some lower earlier scores are included even though they don't reflect on the current incarnation. That's part and parcel of selling an absinthe that is a work in progress. I think once reviews are written of the newer improved batches it will raise the score, and I also think anybody looking for an absinthe will read the review and notice that even the earlier versions scored pretty well in terms of taste and aroma. I'm looking forward to getting a bottle of the new batch, just waiting for a delinquent client to pay me.
scuto
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Dec 31 2008, 12:05 PM) *

I think it's OK that some lower earlier scores are included even though they don't reflect on the current incarnation.

Yes--when I read the reviews, I like having a document of an absinthe's "evolution" to make decisions from. Or devolution, depending.

Me, I'll be evolving from an almost finished bottle of Leopold's batch #8 to a batch #14 very shortly, and am rather looking forward to it.
Donnie Darko
Yeah, I like the old reviews giving evidence of devolution, of the good ol' days, when François Guy used to be impressive.
scuto
Yup--proof of the necessary footwork (glass-lifting work) to get to where we are today.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Dec 31 2008, 01:16 PM) *

Yeah, I like the old reviews giving evidence of devolution, of the good ol' days, when François Guy used to be impressive.

Me, too, although I always thought Francois Guy tasted like poop.gif .
G&C
Indeed.
Patlow
When I joined LFV it was all about the FOU JUICE! That white one is still pretty nice, btw. I don't really remember the green one but it got high, HIGH praise here!
Jaded Prole
I still think the verte is nice.
Absomphe
It still amazes me that leaving it unfiltered made such a dramatic, positive difference.
Nephrite
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Dec 31 2008, 09:05 AM) *

just waiting for a delinquent client to pay me.

Ha!
Steve
I received my bottle of batch 14 from DUNY yesterday. I had a glass last night, and thought it was significantly better than the batch 10 I had some time ago, which wasn't bad at all either. I don't have any of the #10 left to compare.

We went to a different BevMo this weekend (SF-Van Ness) and they had 2 bottles of batch 10 in a locked case (thankfully not in the sunlight this time!).
Provenance
The local liquor store is still selling batch #6. After significant initial interest from balz-trippers and curiosity seekers, they have had limited repeat sales.
Leopold
QUOTE(Provenance @ Jan 7 2009, 01:05 PM) *

The local liquor store is still selling batch #6. After significant initial interest from balz-trippers and curiosity seekers, they have had limited repeat sales.

Which store? Maybe we can get the stuff rotated. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Provenance
Best Cellers. They didn't have any complaints about the product (although I was asked if the coloring had changed) just that there wasn't that much repeat business.
Leopold
Ah, Best Cellars.

That's the only store that we sell to in DC. The Vodka and Gin do quite well, but the Absinthe is pretty much for the WC and FC crowd. We just sent Gin and Vodka to them last week. I'll see how many bottles of Absinthe they have left. Perhaps we can swap them for later batches for next shipment.
Provenance
Despite the prevalence of hallucinations, I don't expect DC to ever be much of an absinthe town.
Shabba53
True. Yet Central Michel Richard does a good amount of absinthe biz from what I'm told. I'm hoping the CNN spot will help to increase absinthe's visibility as well.
Tibro
Nothing like a Central Neurological Nematode spot to bring things front and center.

Butt will anyone notice in D.C.?
Shabba53
It was shot at Central Michel, and the piece was specifically addressing the legality of absinthe in DC and Virginia, so I'd hope so.
Provenance
No better metaphor for the ruination of absinthe than to see it go from the drink of the working class to a frippery purchased by people who pay $20 for a hamburger.
Donnie Darko
What are you talking about? We all know only talented artists and similarly enchanted individuals drank it.
Provenance
Yeah, but they didn't buy $20 burgers.

Provenance
$20 hookers, maybe. But not designer hamburgers.
dakini_painter
Or designer pommes frites?
Provenance
Bein' a classy joint, they call 'em potato tuiles.
Tibro
I thought they were 'murickan summinorudders. Iffen you're patriotic.
Shabba53
QUOTE(Provenance @ Jan 8 2009, 02:18 PM) *

No better metaphor for the ruination of absinthe than to see it go from the drink of the working class to a frippery purchased by people who pay $20 for a hamburger.

Ah, but there are quite a few cheap bars in DC that serve absinthe now too.
synthetic buddhist
QUOTE(Tibro @ Jan 8 2009, 01:10 PM) *

I thought they were 'murickan summinorudders. Iffen you're patriotic.

Freedom Fries. 'Cuz you know it's all about the Freedom.
Rimbaud
Hey, KISS-lover (I assume from your avatar) - check this shit out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw5oJoUYTb8
synthetic buddhist
Damn, baby. Better than the original by a cuntry mile…
Nephrite
Grate…
absinthist
Having checked it thoroughly I must say good job is done and the #14 batch is a really promising one. And since I mentioned it in reviews, shall repeat it again: being a hardline grain advocate, I see using pisco as a base in Leopold to be fully justified and bringing forth nice results. The pisco gives another advantage-you can savour Leopold neat and it is very pleasureable.
Green Baron
Well said Provenance. I find the pisco also makes it a great flavor component for certain cocktails like the Treblement de Terre (also if rum is substituted for the congac) and Suisesse.
Wolfgang
I received a sample of Leopold bros absinthe Verte today.

It is fantastic and one of the best absinthe on the market.

The pisco base is well integrated and makes for a great original product. It contribute to the spiciness of the overall product while providing a delicate fruitiness to it. It manages to remain dry (if no sugar is added) and it doesn't numb the tongue even if the louche is superb and the texture is creamy.

This absinthe taste and smells of high quality herbs and alcool. It is also a little bit soapy but this is not overwhelming and I would say it contributes to the whole and draws you back to it for another sip.

If I was able to buy it locally or even to order it on the web (not every seller will ship to Quebec), I would certainly get a bottle or two. If someone can help me get a full bottle, PM me.

EDIT: that was batch #14.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.