Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Imbibe "Taste Test" of US-available Absinthe
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe in the News & in the Media
Leopold
Little online piece on US available absinthes. Apparently, they used the Absinthe that's available in most States for the big piece in the print version of their mag.

Interesting tasting notes.

Imbibe Magazine on Absinthe
OCvertDe
Indeed. Marteau scored better than Clandestine? Huh.
Jaded Prole
Too bad the V.P wasn't included.
Leopold
I was thinking the same thing, JP.
pierreverte
yeah, bummer…
sixela
QUOTE(OCvertDe @ Dec 29 2008, 08:26 PM) *

Indeed. Marteau scored better than Clandestine? Huh.

Well, it *is* Marteau Belle Époque rather than the Celery Elephant in the Corner version. Haven't tasted it yet.
Steyr850
Two-1/2 stars for the Sirene? Um, no.

While I've not had any of the others, I'm banking I'd give the Sirene the nod over both the Trillium and Obsello even prior to tasting. Maybe not the Marteau, but I'll make that judgement after I've sampled it. I really like the Sirene. It has a nice citrus tone (which I'm partial to) that compliments the wormwood. Reminded me a little of what I liked about the the Proto Italienne.
Absomphe
Obsello over Leopold's?

Um, no.

I also don't get that "strong bitterness" in Leopold's either.

And what about the buttered rumminess, and the subtle lilac tones?

Damn, it'll be refreshing when published absinthe critiques are submitted by tasters with fully functional palates.
Kirk
The ratings weren't all that bad but it didn't seem like the tasters were familiar with what they were tasting.
Jaded Prole
hint of Thai basil

makes the Marteau sound a bit like St. George.

While I agree that it would be better to have knowledgeable people doing the tasting, it is interesting to hear a fresh perspective.
absinthist
What about chocolate and bell pepper? Not counting bitter lemon peel blink.gif It leaves an impression, either in some of these wormwood, anise, fennel are undetectable or their producers actually have put these weird ingredients in the pot.

According to Todd, the other products (or absinthe substitutes for the record) scored such a way:

Lucid 3 1/2 stars
St. George 3 1/2 stars
Pernod 3 stars
Kübler 3 stars
Mata Hari 2 1/2 stars
Grand Absente 2 1/2 stars
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(pierreverte @ Dec 29 2008, 04:46 PM) *

yeah, bummer…

Or maybe it's a good thing, since the tasters apparently are not familiar with the taste of wormwood. The only 2 absinthes in which they mentioned tasting wormwood at all scored less than 3 stars.
Patlow
OOOOOOOOOh no!
Provenance
There's a new band in town but you can't get the sound from a story in a magazine.
Doctor Love

Whatever, they probably lifted half their comments from tasting notes in marketing materials. It's nice to see absinthe get more recognition, though.

pierreverte
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Dec 30 2008, 03:24 PM) *

Or maybe it's a good thing, since the tasters apparently are not familiar with the taste of wormwood. The only 2 absinthes in which they mentioned tasting wormwood at all scored less than 3 stars.

good point…
smiley
they probably lifted half their comments from tasting notes in marketing materials.

That's what I was thinking. They seemed to know their "good" and "bad" absinthes, but some comments they made didn't relate to the absinthe it was describing, and some obviously better absinthes scored lower than other decent products in the "good" column.
sixela
QUOTE(Steyr850 @ Dec 30 2008, 04:38 AM) *

[…]that compliments the wormwood.

Did the wormwood blush when complimented about how well it complEments the citrus?
Donnie Darko
It's nice to see that Cylons aren't just solely concerned with eliminating the human race, but also want to help improve their spelling.
Doctor Love

That's a nice backhanded…. complement evill.gif
Provenance
Tasting Notes: Crispin's Superieur Absinthe
Crispin's Superieur Absinthe: Except it probably won't be called that. Greenway Distillers' Crispin Cain has been battling for federal label approval since I first discussed the project with him this summer. Now he's hoping for a March release, possibly under the Greenway name. In any case, this white absinthe's floral notes offset subtle licorice-like flavors (star anise and fennel) and deliver a true nuance.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?…/WI9H1516QB.DTL

sixela
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Jan 1 2009, 11:47 PM) *

It's nice to see that Cylons aren't just solely concerned with eliminating the human race, but also want to help improve their spelling.

Remember, I'm a Six. I'm your friend now, at least until the 16th of January.

smiley
BSG!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.