Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pre-ban absinthe flavor altered due to glass?
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Vintage Absinthe
tommynar
Wormwood Society had an article about glass developing an oily film.

I wanted comments from this forum instead of over there.

Basically, something reacting to liquids/humidity which results in an oil film developing. Would this happen with 100 year old glass? Which gets me thinking how it alters the contents. Any types of alcohol leach more stuff out of glass than another?

I'm interested in the chemical reactions that happen. I am sure someone here can describe it better than me. What glass does this happen with? Modern glass have this problem?

(My first post!)

Donnie Darko
Welcome. I don't think there is any potential chemical reaction with the glass and anything drinkable you'd put in it. Most glasses are a soda-lime-silica (Na2O+CaO+SiO2) mixture which would only noticeably react with anything if you heated it significantly. Some glasses that have engravings may contain lead-oxide, which reacts at lower temperatures, but I still wouldn't suspect a chemical reaction with the glass and any liquor you'd put in it. Lead-oxide glass is softer and scratches more easily, however.

My grandfather-in-law worked at a brewery for 30 years and he insists on not washing his beer glasses with soap, as he says washing with soap leaves a very difficult to remove thin film on glass that can affect the taste of the beverage and makes the glass look slightly murky.
tommynar
Good to know. And I thought I might have been on to something!
crosby
You might be on to something, butt don't put too much stock into anything you read over at The Grate H's "forum".
OCvertDe
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Dec 31 2008, 04:02 PM) *
Most glasses are a soda-lime-silica (Na2O+CaO+SiO2) mixture which would only noticeably react with anything if you heated it significantly.

IPB Image

no-czechs3.gif
thegreenimp
There is an old thread at Oxy's collector forum: http://www.oxygenee.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

But you can't see it because the forum is down. Paging Oxygenee!

Click to view attachment
Grim
I noticed that too. I'm still looking forward to reading some old threads there.
thegreenimp
Fixed!

Thanks Oxy!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.