Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hi Everybody, I'm Seano from Toronto
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > General > The Entrance Hall
Seano
Hi Everybody,

I'm Sean from Toronto. I've recently discovered absinthe and I am hoping to meet some fellow absinthuers up here in Toronto. I've only sampled a few brands but I'm hoping to expand my palette. So, if anybody wants to drop me a line please feel free to do so. Happy New Year!!!!!
bobt
Hey Sean, welcome!
OCvertDe
Hello!
smiley
WELL HELLO!

No way Seano!

I'm from toronto myself. abs-cheers.gif

The thing that sucks about Canada is we have ZERO absinthe access. We can't order it, we can't buy it, ZERO. Get used to this word, and this feeling; ZERO. ZERO is canadian for LCBO, by the way.

On the bright side, Health Canada WILL be revising their t-jone regulation mid-2009, and I imagine that this new law will be something like the american 10ppm, (we're such US copycats), or will at least align the provinces' liquor boards into agreement on t-jone, so that we can at least order from the net.

Seano, I see that you've tried Taboo. This is a good absinthe, but obviously, variety is the spice of life, and many other delicious brands are to be had.

Us canadians can get Clandestine La Bleue, (a very good example of a blanche), here:

http://premierwines.ca/store/category/22/180/Absinthe/

Please, join our facebook group here:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#…gid=33191651996

There are probably some things that you'd want to know from there.

Ummm, thats about it, I'm sorry if this is a little pretentious for your hello, but I'm just glad to know there's another canadian who drinks absinthe out there. I think that makes … 6 now.

And Welcome!
rjordan
Yeah, you guys have to copycat us because like, aren't you the 51st state or something? (You should seek out a member here named Crosby and send him a pm inviting him to Toronto. He loves Canadians!)

Oh and welcome.

gun thug.gif
Tibro
Every time I see this thread I read the name as Bean-o. Might be. Doesn't seem to be stinking the place up. Therefore, welcome.
synthetic buddhist
I blame Canada.

Wilkommen.
Nephrite
Geez, my best clients are Canadian.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Nephrite @ Jan 2 2009, 09:53 PM) *

clients

You misspelled 'bail bondsmen'.
Nephrite
Please, no post quoting till the 3rd post.
Absomphe
Um, my quote was from post number eight.

Sleep it off, "Steve". harhar.gif
G&C
And quoted only the pertinent part so even the Canadians could keep up.
OCvertDe
sp_ike.gif
Absomphe
Yes, we're all aware you have a flappin' head, OCD, even if you're not Canadian, but a liitle healthy pride is a good thing, I suppose.
OCvertDe
You were a lot sexier when your tongue was still swingin'.
Seano
QUOTE(smiley @ Jan 2 2009, 02:23 AM) *

WELL HELLO!

No way Seano!

I'm from toronto myself. abs-cheers.gif

The thing that sucks about Canada is we have ZERO absinthe access. We can't order it, we can't buy it, ZERO. Get used to this word, and this feeling; ZERO. ZERO is canadian for LCBO, by the way.

On the bright side, Health Canada WILL be revising their t-jone regulation mid-2009, and I imagine that this new law will be something like the american 10ppm, (we're such US copycats), or will at least align the provinces' liquor boards into agreement on t-jone, so that we can at least order from the net.

Seano, I see that you've tried Taboo. This is a good absinthe, but obviously, variety is the spice of life, and many other delicious brands are to be had.

Us canadians can get Clandestine La Bleue, (a very good example of a blanche), here:

http://premierwines.ca/store/category/22/180/Absinthe/

Please, join our facebook group here:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#…gid=33191651996

There are probably some things that you'd want to know from there.

Ummm, thats about it, I'm sorry if this is a little pretentious for your hello, but I'm just glad to know there's another canadian who drinks absinthe out there. I think that makes … 6 now.

And Welcome!

Sorry I haven't written sooner, I've been offline a few days. Anywhoo, your letter kinda caught my attention in a few ways. First, from what I understand, it doesn't matter about chop.gif content to order online as I could order a bottle of rum from an overseas vendor and it could still be seized from Cdn. Customs. We Canadians cannot (as individuals) import alcohol, which in my opinion is as stupid a law as one could come up with. I hope I don't come across as argumentative cuz I do wish I was wrong. Secondly, I have joined up the facebook group, hop;ing to meet some fellow absinthe drinkers and hopefully some vendors. Thirdly, I have ordered from premier wine and spirits and I must say I was quite impressed with the La Blue. I spoke with Gord from premier, in the hopes of getting him to import other brands of absinthe, particularly the Angelique Swiss 72 brand. He told me that is in the works. He's hoping to sell it by the spring if there are no setbacks. Hopefully us Canadians will not be without good absinthe much longer!!!!
smiley
Canadian customs are particularly aggressive on alcohol in general, agreed. Specifically about absinthe, though.

It is good you ordered the CLB from premier. We need to show them that there are some people in Canada to make a buck off of, and CLB is a good way to do that right now. I'm looking forward to the angelique as well:)

Premier also sells fountains and spoons and a glass if you are in need, I just found out. The price and shipping is probably better than overseas or even american offers.

Canada is coming around… slowly.
Seano
QUOTE(smiley @ Jan 4 2009, 05:21 PM) *

Canadian customs are particularly aggressive on alcohol in general, agreed. Specifically about absinthe, though.

It is good you ordered the CLB from premier. We need to show them that there are some people in Canada to make a buck off of, and CLB is a good way to do that right now. I'm looking forward to the angelique as well:)

Premier also sells fountains and spoons and a glass if you are in need, I just found out. The price and shipping is probably better than overseas or even american offers.

I know, but I don't understand why the LCBO will carry that shitsinthe from the Czech Republic but not a nice French or Suisse Absinthe. BTW have you ever tried a Czechsinthe??? Awful stuff!!!! In the meantime, I hope the fine people at Premier will establish a nice clientele so they will expand their brand list. I'm doing my best to promote them!!!

I'd like to add you as a friend on Facebook. My name is Sedan Caveen. I am a restricted profile so you won't be able to find me but if you want to be friends pass along your name so I can find you.

Seano
QUOTE(Seano @ Jan 5 2009, 06:16 PM) *

QUOTE(smiley @ Jan 4 2009, 05:21 PM) *

I know, but I don't understand why the LCBO will carry that shitsinthe from the Czech Republic but not a nice French or Suisse Absinthe. BTW have you ever tried a Czechsinthe??? Awful stuff!!!! In the meantime, I hope the fine people at Premier will establish a nice clientele so they will expand their brand list. I'm doing my best to promote them!!!

I'd like to add you as a friend on Facebook. My name is Sedan Caveen. I am a restricted profile so you won't be able to find me but if you want to be friends pass along your name so I can find you.

Oops. I seen I made a typo with my name. It's Sean Caveen
Seano
QUOTE(Nephrite @ Jan 3 2009, 12:53 AM) *

Geez, my best clients are Canadian.

Good to know that. What brands do you carry???
Nephrite
Give us 5-10 years for an answer, we just got a copy of the Duplais distillation guide wink.gif
Tibro
QUOTE(Seano @ Jan 6 2009, 12:16 AM) *

Sedan Caveen.

And here I was afeared that you were a roll-top.
smiley

I know, but I don't understand why the LCBO will carry that shitsinthe from the Czech Republic but not a nice French or Suisse Absinthe. BTW have you ever tried a Czechsinthe???

The LCBO, a government organization, is deathly afraid of a chop.gif-related accident; thus, their chop.gif regulation is less than 1ppm. Hills and Pernod meet this standard. I happen to have pissed away my money on both.

Give them time; once Health Canada revises their national limit, the LCBO will be able to sell real absinthe and place whatever blame may come, elsewhere.

'Cause thats what society is all about: pointing the finger.

Seano
QUOTE(Tibro @ Jan 5 2009, 11:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Seano @ Jan 6 2009, 12:16 AM) *

Sedan Caveen.

And here I was afeared that you were a roll-top.

Sorry for the confusion;P Of all the things I misspelled, it had to be my name….
Seano
QUOTE(smiley @ Jan 6 2009, 12:31 AM) *

I know, but I don't understand why the LCBO will carry that shitsinthe from the Czech Republic but not a nice French or Suisse Absinthe. BTW have you ever tried a Czechsinthe???

The LCBO, a government organization, is deathly afraid of a chop.gif-related accident; thus, their chop.gif regulation is less than 1ppm. Hills and Pernod meet this standard. I happen to have pissed away my money on both.

Give them time; once Health Canada revises their national limit, the LCBO will be able to sell real absinthe and place whatever blame may come, elsewhere.

Touche, I couldn't have said it any better. Just wondering, are there any other vendors who sell real Absinthe in Canada??? I'd like to try some of the Jade Suisse brands or any other French/Suisse brands….
Seano
QUOTE(Seano @ Jan 6 2009, 04:30 PM) *

QUOTE(smiley @ Jan 6 2009, 12:31 AM) *

Touche, I couldn't have said it any better. Just wondering, are there any other vendors who sell real Absinthe in Canada??? I'd like to try some of the Jade Suisse brands or any other French/Suisse brands….

And what are the chop.gif contents of a typical La Blue or Verte Absinthes anyway????
Absomphe
Basically irrelevant.

However, generally 10ppm, or under, except in the case of a labeled Amer, where they might run as high as 30, and even this doesn't seem to be consistent, since Nouvelle Orleans tested at somewhere between 20-30ppm, and I don't recall it being labeled an Amer.
smiley
Abs is right, it doesn't really matter how much chop.gif is in the bottle. Besides, bottles labeled "amer" can have less than 10ppm, and as Abs pointed out, some bottles in excess of 10ppm aren't labeled "amer". Great system, really; like any system, confusing.

But in our case, chop.gif does matter; any decent absinthe has chop.gif around the 10ppm range, simply because a respectable distiller doesn't want to mess around with the herb bill for the sake of legality, as it would put the absinthe at risk. So in our case, it does matter, because the LCBO enforces a 1ppm rule at the moment.

The best we can do is sit tight with the couple canadian options we have at the moment. In half a year, things will be different. Now that the US have their limit, we can copy them… grimace … the blind leading the blind.
rjordan
Hey there Seano…why must you feel the need to quote every single post in this thread (or so it may seem with all of the quotes you have reposted up there)? Back in the day you wouldn't have made it past the second quote of the post above without being burned into oblivion by the post quote nazis and hall monitors. Please try to practice quoting brevity by quoting only necessary parts of post or just putting someones name at the top of what you want to say so that they know you are responding to them if it's a post or few down from the original. Thank you.

gun thug.gif
Seano
I do apologize for my posting practices. I still am trying to figure out the forum……

Seano
Just wondering, how do I post my pic up next to my name????
smiley
Seano, the rule is, if you are responding to a comment directly above you, no need to quote.

For all other quotes, click on the quote tab in the person's post, (as many as necessary), and then go to the bottom and click reply.

Then, for the sake of brevity and concision, delete all the text that is irrelevant.

To "put up a pic", go to your settings, top right, "my controls" and go to "edit avatar".

Then see if you can figure out how to PM me if you need any more help wink.gif
Absinthe Ben
Looks as if you and I are the two newest blokes around here! Cheers! abs-cheers.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.