Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hello from Sonoma County, California
The Fťe Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > General > The Entrance Hall
Severian
Hi, Iíd like to introduce myself. Iím a wine geek, and a pu-erh tea geek (there are things more obscure than absinthe) with an interest in learning about absinthe.

It is conceivable that this is my first and last post. You see, Iíve never tasted real absinthe. I may get my first taste of it and run from the room in horror, or get locked up for mayhem from the fabled and mythical secondary effects. But Iím guessing not. [Note: This was all written a week or so ago. Iíve had some remarkable absinthe experiences since. Failure to appreciate real absinthe is not going to be a problem.]

I have made some arrangements to taste real absinthe, and with an element of obsessiveness that may augur well for a future career in absinthe-drinking. Iíve read a lot of messages on this forum and ordered some Jade PF1901 and Roquette 1797, to be shipped from Europe to here in California. Impatient with that, and fearful that a whim of the Polizei might keep me from the precious liquid, I put in a more local order for something that, reading here tells me, may not be quite so good as whatís in that international package Iím expecting, but still respectable: Leopold Bros Absinthe Vert.

Even that redundancy didnít satisfy my eagerness, so I memorized some viable U.S. absinthe brands and set off for the local liquor store. I found a grand total of one absinthe, with a name that was not in my memorized list, but which Iím afraid I did purchase, bring home, and drink. Iíll tell more about that.
What I bought is called Le Tournament Vert. While it does say ďAbsintheĒ on the label, I have read some of the comments on this board, and I will therefore refrain from referring to it as absinthe for the remainder of my post, to avoid mendacity.

First and most important, the bottle is very cool, frosted dark on the bottom and white up top, with a wide cork.

Second, I discover that I am apparently afflicted with blue-green color blindness, because, to me, the ďGreen FairyĒ appears as a pale blue. This pale blue color is very familiar to me, and I find that very reassuring. When I come to taste real absinthe, I may find that it makes my breath medicine-y, while this spiritís color gives me a reassuring sense that my breath with be minty-fresh. If I should overindulge, and wind up regurgitating Le Tournament Vert, I am confident that, even if plumbing difficulties prevent me from flushing, subsequent users of the lavatory will believe it to be fresh and clean. And the color inspires a sense that I have been generously blessed, turning my humble glass into a tidy bowl.

Le Tournament Vert is ideal for the beginner. If one is fearful that the famous ďloucheĒ effect will be visually overwhelming, know that the louche of Le Tournament Vert is a mild thing, a vague, wispy cloudiness that will not disturb oneís equilibrium. If one fears mentally taxing complexity of flavor, be assured that Le Tournament Vert is a simple, dilute licorice-mint-tasting spirit that will place no demands on the intellect.
Le Tournament Vert is not without appeal, to give it its highest possible praise. And when I consider that my first Web explorations of absinthe had me very close to clicking ďAdd to CartĒ on a certain well-known site in what used to be known as Eastern Europe, I feel pleased and gratified to be drinking Le Tournament Vert.
pierreverte
what does that even mean?
Severian
1. "Hello"
2. "I bought something that said it was absinthe but wasn't, and here's how that went.
eric
Le Tournament Vert is ideal for the beginner

???

Anyway, welcome to the fore arm.

Severian
QUOTE(eric @ Jan 3 2009, 04:38 PM) *

Anyway, welcome to the fore arm.

Thank you. I'll work on turning my subtlety dial up from its current setting of "intended meaning hopelessly obscured."
Absomphe
Actually, The Green Torment is ideal for the seasoned absinthe drinker, who will invariably have the good sense to sink it after that first painful sip.

On the other hand, it's detrimental to the beginner, who might well be deceived into thinking that said crap is genuine absinthe.

And, what Eric said. abs-cheers.gif
bobt
Hi Severian, welcome!
Severian
QUOTE(Absomphe @ Jan 3 2009, 04:58 PM) *

Actually, The Green Torment is ideal for the seasoned absinthe drinker, who will invariably have the good sense to sink it after that first painful sip.

Or before, considering that it's not so much the Green Torment as the Blue Torment. Hence my obscure references to Scope commercials and Ty-D-Bowl toilet bowl freshener.

Still, I think it's worth distinguishing between beverages that are truly painful, which I gather includes ones that come with wormwood floating in them, and beverages that are simply a lot of nothing, like Le Tournament Vert. A weak licorice-mint spirit isn't painful, unless you're expecting it to be absinthe, in which case I can understand the pain, but it's more spiritual pain than palate pain.

Perhaps my biggest surprise, when I tasted the real thing, is just how intense it is. Forget secondary effects, I feel like I'm high on, and haunted by, the intense aromas and flavors, and the lush, oily mouthfeel of real absinthe. It really sticks in the brain.

Thanks for the welcome.
Severian
QUOTE(bobt @ Jan 3 2009, 07:07 PM) *

Hi Severian, welcome!

Thanks, Bob. I'm really looking forward to learning a lot here.
OCvertDe
Welcome! You've got some good stuff coming. Enjoy!
Kirk
Forget secondary effects, I feel like I'm high on, and haunted by, the intense aromas and flavors, and the lush, oily mouthfeel of real absinthe. It really sticks in the brain.

Welcome to the fray. The first time I tried absinthe, I had an overwhelming, candy like sensation of dejavue
It was good absinthe but I went right out and bought a bottle of Oxygenee, just to see what fake absinthe tastes like, I wasn't disappointed.
smiley
Hello Severian!

Too bad about the nefarious LTV. It's re-puke-tation precedes itself.

Nice to meet you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.