Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Top 3 Modern Absinthe
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe Brands Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3
hdtv00
I was thinking the other day while reading in here and the review section. But I don't see a list anywhere of just general preference. So I thought I'd post for you all who have more experience with different brands. Help some new comers decide where to start.

abs-cheers.gif
sixela
Do they just have to be modern, or also available on an ongoing basis?

Things you can order now (or from time to time):

PF1901 (despite its obvious process-derived slightly unclean taste)
Combier Blanchette
Brut d'Alambic.

I've heard good things about the Vieux Pontarlier (but we can't get our gritty paws on it), and I don't doubt that the Seattle absinthe that has been mentioned here will be top notch (and better than anything in the top 3 above, safe perhaps the very good Brut d'Alambic, by far the best product that Matter makes).

L'Artisanale and Wormwood were one-shots. L'Artisanale was very good but doesn't age well once opened (though an older unopened bottle is probably still very much OK). Wormwood is still superb to this very day, even though Socky (mthuilli) thinks his hasn't aged well.

And then there are good but idiosyncratic things, like the newer Doubs (a bit too "bonbon" to me, but not a bad product) and l'Italienne (which rocks but is very, very, very floral).

Helfrich Verte is also good, but I'm biased because the maker is such a nice fellow to be around (which makes the absnith taste good just because his aura radiates onto it), so I've decided to also put in as n°1 in its own class.

If you're into the (very different) Swiss Bleues, there's also a lot to choose from. The very best, sadly, was modern but a batch from one of the local giants that wasn't likely to make it to the commercial shelves.

brucer
What do you mean by "modern" ?

If you mean modern as opposed to pre-ban, then you can add Jade Edouard to the list above.

If you mean modern in the sense of a modern receipe, as opposed to clones of pre-ban absinthes, then you can add Coquette or Duplais Balance to the list above.

Bruce
hdtv00
Yeah I just mean stuff you can buy now. Not pre ban since it's so limited. I mean nice top 3 of everyones personal preference. Their top 3 go to absinthe's.
Alan
Using any method of purchase?

Via the internet?

Or more generally, in the shops etc?
Provenance
QUOTE(hdtv00 @ Jan 15 2009, 08:46 AM) *
So I thought I'd post for you all who have more experience with different brands.

???
Donnie Darko
The best Absinthes one can order from abroad:
Jade Verte Suisse
Combier Blanchette
Doubs Mystique
Jade PF 1901 (a bit light for something that's supposed to be like Pernod Fils, but has the best anise of any absinthe one can currently buy).
L'Italienne (idiosyncratic, as Sixela mentioned)

Belle Amie was great, really one of my all time favorites, but I don't think one will see that absinthe again, unfortunately.

The best Absinthes one can buy right now in the US:
Vieux Pontarlier
Leopold Bros

That being said, the two Jades are not my top go-to absinthes because of prohibitive price. For my personal top 3 go-to absinthes, that would be:
1. Blanchette
2. Vieux Pontarlier
3. Mystique
Bruno Rygseck
In no particular order:
  • Duplais verte
  • Helfrich blanche
  • Clandestine la Bleue

I cannot say whether they are the "best" absinthes on the market, but my favorites at the moment.

Cheers.

synthetic buddhist
La Coquette

Leopold Bros.

L'Itallienne

as stated, in no particular order.

at least today.

I'll be sampling some VP later this afternoon…

absinthist
Helfrich blanche and Clandestine la bleue in blanche/bleue's section
Promethee, Angelique, Helfrich verte in verte's section

While in the US, check Leopold and wait for Pacifique and Catskill.
Donnie Darko
That reminds me I really need to try the Helfrich absinthes. Speaking of absinthes I've never tried, has anyone had Bugnon's Opaline?
hdtv00
Sorry for my gibberish early I was trying to do 3 things at once. Yeah I meant for you all to give your more experienced thoughts and tastes in a quick fire 1, 2 ,3 post. No price limit just modern day absinthe of choice imported most likely since US market is bascially still DOA.

Yeah I see how price can be a factor. I've been absinthe free for 6 months due to price. But as I posted in the one thread wherever it was, conversion rate is for sure is leaning back toward our favor.

I just ordered Edouard 72 , Jade Verte Suisse 65 , and Duplais 'Balance' . I've have verte and Edouard before and really love them, so much so I can't really nail down a favorite. I can't even pick from the verte , eddy or 1901 really. I grew very fond of the Blanchette too. But now I'll try the Duplais 'Balance' for first time. I figured hey 6 days till my birthday why the hell not.

If I had to put an order it'd be
1. Verte Suisse 65
2. Edouard
3. 1901

But as you point out price sets us back usually. I'd have no problem drinking the blanchette every day. I should've tried more new ones instead of just one but loved the others so much couldn't resist. Before I only had the 20cl bottles of the Jades and the blanchette so while I had a few glasses of each clearly. It wasn't really around to form great long lasting impressions.

I went with proper 75cl bottles of verte and eddy this time with 50cl bottle of the balance. Nice to be back in the game though…sitting on the sidelines sucks.
Rimbaud
I need to try some Helfrichizzle as well.
Absomphe
L'Italienne
Leopold Bros.
Doubs Mystique
Steve
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Jan 15 2009, 02:23 PM) *
Speaking of absinthes I've never tried, has anyone had Bugnon's Opaline?

I was just wondering about that one myself. I saw it listed on the Vert d'Absinthe site (checking out what to buy when in Paris).
Steve
If I had to pick just three:

one of the Jades (my favorite changes from time to time)
Vieux Pontarlier
l'Italienne

Provenance
I prefer the Helfrich to the Jades, without being a Jade-hata.
Steve
I really need to taste the Helfriches. I had a very very early bottle of the verte, but from what I've heard it has improved a lot. Also many people say good things about the blanche; I really need to try it.
Shabba53
QUOTE(Provenance @ Jan 15 2009, 06:38 PM) *

I prefer the Helfrich to the Jades, without being a Jade-hata.

I do too, although the Eddy is a nostalgic favorite of mine, being the first good absinthe I bought.

The 'frich truly is wonderful stuff.
Provenance
I prefer the VS and 1901 to the Tedouard but all three are far better than anything from Switzerland that's reasonably available in the States.
Steve
I actually really like the Nouvelle Orléans, so I'm very happy that it's supposedly coming to the U.S. I know it's a little idiosyncratic but I really enjoy it. The VS and PF1901 are my other Jade favorites.
Kirk
My opinions don't count, taint is the word of the day, so if I had an opinion, it would behoove me not to say.
I need to be no-body for what I think to be heard even though nobody talking sounds purely absurd.
Jaded Prole
It's not what you don't say, it's how you don't say it.

Wild Bill Turkey
QUOTE(sixela @ Jan 15 2009, 09:24 AM) *

makes the absnith taste good
Just had to document this.

For me, currently, in no real order:
Blanchette
Helfrich (verte, I haven't tried the blanche yet)
Mystique

But I haven't gotten my Vieux Pontarlier yet…
Provenance
QUOTE(grey boy @ Jan 15 2009, 03:37 PM) *

makes the absnit taste good
Wild Bill Turkey
Weird.
That post by grey boy does not show up at all on my computer.
Even now, when I click on the snap-back link, it shows no such post by him.
Tibro
Weirderer. It shows up as Gimpy's post on my computer.

Or maybe that's not so weird.
Bruno Rygseck
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Jan 16 2009, 01:23 AM) *

I have, and I like it. Sort of great la bleue colored natural green. A bit pricey, though.
sixela
[…]™
Provenance
QUOTE(Wild Bill Turkey @ Jan 16 2009, 11:48 AM) *

Weird.

Ya gotta be really snitty to see it.
Absinthe Ben
Bah, it's really hard to say, not having tried a few big ones like Belle Amie or L'Italienne yet. Though, I agree with many of the selections listed thus far. Jade VS, Doubs Mystique, and the Eich 70 Verte has some mouthwatering hyssop. I can't say I was blown away by the Blanchette, though.
Patlow
N.O.
Mystique
V.P.
Wild Bill Turkey
QUOTE(Provenance @ Jan 16 2009, 01:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Wild Bill Turkey @ Jan 16 2009, 11:48 AM) *

Weird.

Ya gotta be really snitty to see it.
I can be pretty dense sometimes.

I can't say I was blown away by the Blanchette, though.
Gots to be a wormwood whore to put that on your favorites list…
Nephrite
Mystique
L'Italienne
Tansy
sixela
QUOTE(Wild Bill Turkey @ Jan 17 2009, 02:16 AM) *

Ooohh yes. If you don't have any in your garden to smell in times of stress, you ain't one of us.

Absinthe Ben
I love wormwood dominant absinthe, I just usually prefer it be a verte. I still really enjoy the Blanchette, I'm just more of a fennel whore when I'm drinking a blanche.
absinthist
I am wormwood whore whatever I sip, other nuances should be far in the back. Lest we forget it is still called "extrait d'absinthe" neither "d'anis" nor "de fenouil".
Absomphe
QUOTE(absinthist @ Jan 17 2009, 04:49 AM) *

I am wormwood whore whatever I sip.

No, xit, really? shock.gif

And that's 'wormwood coont', and fennel whore, buddy!
synthetic buddhist
QUOTE(sixela @ Jan 17 2009, 01:22 AM) *

QUOTE(Wild Bill Turkey @ Jan 17 2009, 02:16 AM) *

Ooohh yes. If you don't have any in your garden to smell in times of stress, you ain't one of us.

On my commute to work I switch buses downtown, and all along the block of 3rd Ave and Pike are planted various decorative shrubberies, A. Pontica among them. I like to snap off a couple leaves and crush it up on my fingers. Then I smell my fingers on the bus going up the Hill and people stay away from me. A win-win situation.
sixela
QUOTE(Jaded Prole @ Jan 16 2009, 06:26 PM) *

It's not what you don't say, it's how you don't say it.

"I don't like the Jades, and I'm peeved that they're still mentioned in the top 3 of some people I respect"?

Relax. We're talking commercial absinthes.
sixela
Now we know why the Knights Who Say Ni! are so desperate for a shrubbery.

I wonder whose nose gets to smell the fingers…
Kirk
"I don't like the Jades, and I'm peeved that they're still mentioned in the top 3 of some people I respect"?

No , not even close to what I was thinking . The opinions I hold are quite simple , as long as I hold them close.
Tirador
Hmmm … top three "modern absinthe" …

1) Roquette 1797 for sure (not the typical Absinthe, but I like it …)

2) Jade Edouard

3) Redux Absinthe (yes, I know … I make it … and I spent four years creating a premium Absinthe that fits m flavor profile … so yes I have a biased opinion).

There's my two cents …

Here's another thought … there are a lot of really bad absinthes out there … and an increasing number of good and really good ones too. Just because I've listed these three, doesn't mean there aren't lots of others I like.

S.
sixela
QUOTE(Kirk @ Jan 19 2009, 12:37 AM) *

No , not even close to what I was thinking .

Now you're making me curious. Well, just keep us guessing wink.gif.
Marc
QUOTE(Bruno Rygseck @ Jan 16 2009, 09:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Jan 16 2009, 01:23 AM) *

I have, and I like it. Sort of great la bleue colored natural green. A bit pricey, though.

(sort of) French version of the Angelique, less fennel, and additional plants, and 68° instead of 72°.
Heure Verte
No. There is a french version of Angélique : Angélique 68° instead of 72°.
Opaline is a different absinthe, brand new, out since october 2008. For me, more interesting and tasty than Angelique (too bitter, too much AA in coloring) : herbal, mellow, complex. At last, Bugnon succeeded in producing a good green absinthe !
Bruno Rygseck
Thank you both--I was wondering about Opaline and remembered that it was discussed in some thread not too long ago but could not find it.

About the original question, I would like to add that I am very happy that these three absinthes exist:
  • L'Italienne
  • Doubs Mystique
  • Roquette 1797

I can also come up with other "lists of top three"… harhar.gif

-BR-

absinthist
QUOTE(sixela @ Jan 18 2009, 02:50 PM) *

Relax. We're talking commercial absinthes.

Are you implying Jades will no longer be made?
sixela
I'm implying some (though certainly not all) non-commercial absinthes would push some commercial ones out of the top three, but that it wasn't something that would be relevant to answer the original question.
hdtv00
Damn maybe I should've made it longer list than 3.

L'Italienne I wasn't even aware of but seems to have several fans. I'll have to add that to my next list.

Why the hate for the Jades. Cause they're at the top and therefore get the most slack. I'm sure they vary between you all but to hate them seems rather silly. Course outside of the jade's I'm very limited still in quality product. Which is actually why I started this thread in the first place. To get top picks I am not already aware of so thanks. Keep em coming or go beyond top 3 if you like. I know there's the reviews but having a place where the top however many brands listed by you all with much more tasting experience does nothing but help us all.

Verte suisse, Eddy and duplis balance all arrived today, gonna be a FUN night. Only the duplis I haven't tried before. Anyway thanks for the thoughts everyone. Keep it up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.