Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hello from Central Pennsylvania
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > General > The Entrance Hall
SocratesGoneMad
Disclaimer: Lots of words.
Hello to everyone.
I'm a computer science/multimedia teacher at a preK-12 independent school in Central Pa., where I also perform typical IT/IS and communications duties.

My Absinthe beginnings are somewhat embarrassing. It all began when I was about 17, when Nine Inch Nails "The Perfect Drug" released and the video appeared on television. If you haven't seen the video, Trent is seen pouring a glass for himself, no fire, very little water, one cube of sugar. I was a fan of the band, and pretty much thought everything in the the video was awesome.

I didn't do or see anything else relating to Absinthe until I was 21.

When I turned 21, I searched Absinthe online and found a distributor who had no problem sending to the US. I was psyched. I ordered two bottles and got a free Absinthe pipe. Kick ass, right? As soon as it arrived I poured a glass according to the instructions, no fire by the way, and drank up. Holy shit was it horrid. I thought I was drinking licorice flavoured Yak piss. As it turns out, I was. Some Czech brand called "Sebor."

Considering the cost, the marketing, and the fact that such famous people as Marilyn Manson and Johnny Depp were drinking this brand, I figured I simply didn't have a taste for Absinthe, and I set the bottles aside, as they were at least kind of pretty. I didn't plan to bother with Absinthe again.

A little less than a year ago I was in London, hitting a few bars. Someone ordered an Absinthe. Somewhat drunk, and always outspoken, I asked the gentleman ordering the drink how it was that he could "…drink that nasty ass shit." His response was a literal bitch-slap to my right cheek, followed by an apology, and an invitation to "..try this nasty shit once more." James, my assailant, offered to buy me a glass, and proceeded to talk about the drink, some of the history, and about how knock-off brands were ruining Absinthes reputation. This time around, I enjoyed it immensely. James went on his way and my opinion of Absinthe was changed for the better.

One day several months ago I was in the liquor store and, staring back at me from the shelf were a pair of green cat eyes. I checked the bottle, it seemed real. I really wanted to research the product first, but I was afraid to leave the last bottle on the shelf, so I bought it, brought it home and immediately searched "Lucid." I skipped the marketing website and ran across these forums, where I learned that, while not the best, Lucid was at least palatable and certainly not a knock-off.

The liquor store has since placed two additional brands on their shelves, Kubler and Vieux Carre. I also received a free bottle of Alandia Maison around Halloween. So far I prefer the taste of the Lucid, it has the strongest anise flavour of the four, which I love. I pour at a 1:3 generally. The Lucid doesn't need sugar, nor does the Kubler, the other two were better with it.

So, here I am. I want to learn more about Absinthe, the history, the different brands. I enjoy the near-exclusivity of the drink, being able to tell people about it, correct them on some myths, and I've learned far more about herbs and alcohol than I had ever thought I would have an interest in.

And that is about it for my introduction.

Greetings again. I am now pouring a glass of Vieux Carre, my most recent purchase. Cheers. abs-cheers.gif
Tibro
Lotta wordz. But if you're drinking Vieux Carre maybe I'll take the time to read them some day.
Absinthe Ben
Quite a story; it's actually a common tale that we've heard countless times,-but your story has a few more chapters than we're used to reading. For most would-be absintheurs, once they try the Sebor (or equally shite brand) the story is over. They give up, The End. So I've got to hand it to you for sticking in there, friend!

You seem willing to learn, so I'm sure you'll catch on very quickly.

Cheers! abs-cheers.gif
SocratesGoneMad
QUOTE(Absinthe Ben @ Jan 16 2009, 07:43 PM) *

They give up, The End. So I've got to hand it to you for sticking in there, friend!

Well, I did give up, and I thought it was the end. It was the very literal and slightly painful slap to the face that got me back in.
And absolutely, I'm in for a long haul methinks.

As long as there are new (to me) brands to be had, I have to say that I feel obligated to taste them at the very least, and abuse them at the very best. Unfortunately, teaching pays shit(not that I'm complaining,) but that limits my ability to purchase the numerous recommended brands, without even thinking of the countless future brands to likely be released. Very. Long. Haul. But it certainly looks sweet.
Patlow
Welcome, fellow PA person. I bought a bottle of VC today at my liquor store. This is the first time since Les Caves du Roy, when I lived in Paris, that I have been able to do that.

Be grateful that you live in PA and can go to the store and buy three brands of Absinthe and have anything shipped to you from any major distributer in Europe. Try some stuff that you can't get at the store, it will be well worth your while. Some good stuff is now available from Drink Up NY.

Cheers!
Absinthe Ben
QUOTE(SocratesGoneMad @ Jan 16 2009, 09:53 PM) *

Greetings again. I am now pouring a glass of Vieux Carre, my most recent purchase. Cheers. abs-cheers.gif

How is the VC, by the way? Their distillery produces one of my favourite gins, so I have high hopes for this one.
SocratesGoneMad
QUOTE(Patlow @ Jan 16 2009, 08:01 PM) *

Welcome, fellow PA person. I bought a bottle of VC today at my liquor store. This is the first time since Les Caves du Roy, when I lived in Paris, that I have been able to do that.

Be grateful that you live in PA and can go to the store and buy three brands of Absinthe and have anything shipped to you from any major distributer in Europe. Try some stuff that you can't get at the store, it will be well worth your while. Some good stuff is now available from Drink Up NY.

Cheers!

Thanks!
I will be ordering at least one bottle every month, trying out each brand. That's about all I can afford at the moment.

How is the VC, by the way? Their distillery produces one of my favourite gins, so I have high hopes for this one.

Since I've only had four brands of Absinthe, one which I don't recall the name of, and not including the Sebor at all, I don't really have a lot of experience to go on to judge the Vieux Carre, but I'll give my newb impressions. I'll take and post some photos when I get home.

Neat, it is quite a lovely green, with no noticeable alcohol scent. I can't really describe the scent beyond this. I'll try harder when I get home. I haven't yet learned to identify individual scents and flavors.

The VC has a very slow louche compared to the Kubler and Lucid, and is a light green once it completes. It takes about two minutes to pour the water using my MacGuyver-drip/pour 2010. The flavor is definitely improved if you wait about five minutes after the water is added, I've noticed(maybe I'm pouring too fast?) There is far less anise scent and flavor than the Lucid, although one sugar cube seems to help bring the anise out. The bottle is less than a week old, so maybe this will all change with some age. Just from recollection, I would say the VC is closer to the Alandia Maison than it is to the Kubler and Lucid. I have not had any of those brands for several months, so I could be mistaken.
OCvertDe
Welcome!
Absinthe Ben
QUOTE(SocratesGoneMad @ Jan 20 2009, 04:20 PM) *

The flavor is definitely improved if you wait about five minutes after the water is added, I've noticed(maybe I'm pouring too fast?) There is far less anise scent and flavor than the Lucid, although one sugar cube seems to help bring the anise out. The bottle is less than a week old, so maybe this will all change with some age.

You're not alone in thinking that. Frankly, I take a few sips after it is freshly louched, but I always allow it to breathe a bit and warm up close to room temperature. Some brands I don't see a much change, others (like Angelique VS, for example) it makes a huge difference.

And yes, it will certainly change with some age! Absinthe is no bourbon; you'll see changes as soon as a few DAYS. This is why I always suggest purchasing multiple bottles at a time. That way, you can cycle through them, seeing how they progress without downing a bottle within a week and missing the changes exhibited with age.

Good God, all that talk is making me crave a drink. het.gif
SocratesGoneMad
QUOTE(Absinthe Ben @ Jan 21 2009, 11:19 PM) *

You're not alone in thinking that. Frankly, I take a few sips after it is freshly louched, but I always allow it to breathe a bit and warm up close to room temperature. Some brands I don't see a much change, others (like Angelique VS, for example) it makes a huge difference.

By the time I finish it is usually room temperature, and I do notice more flavour, though some of that is likely the undissolved sugar.
G&C
You won't have that issue if you don't contaminate it to begin with.
SocratesGoneMad
QUOTE(G&C @ Jan 22 2009, 07:24 PM) *

You won't have that issue if you don't contaminate it to begin with.

Only two of the brands I've had have needed sugar. I try each both ways, several times just to make sure. Maybe once I start trying the higher-end stuff sans-sucre will be the only way to go, but for now…
G&C
Good absinthe never needs sugar.
Bad absinthe can't be helped with it.
Provenance
Indeed!
SocratesGoneMad
QUOTE(G&C @ Jan 22 2009, 07:31 PM) *

Good absinthe never needs sugar.
Bad absinthe can't be helped with it.

"Just a spoonful of sugar, makes the medicine go down."

If you're right, Julie Andrews was getting some bad shit.
Kirk
But she showed us her's tits.
Absomphe
HA!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.