Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hello people!
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > General > The Entrance Hall
Alexia
So here we go!
MY name's Alexia, I'm French but I live in Germany, where i'm currently studying translation.

I got to know absinthe last year as I arrived in Germany. I was obviously not in the right place in France, because I had never heard of absinthe as a drink that has to be sipped and appreciated. And I actually know nobody who actually knows that! And I do think it's quite a pitty…
Here in Heidelberg, people seam to know a bit more about all the magic of absinthe, and so that is more or less how i got to like the drink! =)

I then decided to go a little further into all of this, and i took a trip to Switzerland in June for the "fête de l'absinthe" in Boveress. Great place, great people, great weather… and of course great absinthe! If you have the occasion to go there some day, make sure you do! IT's worth it! (not very easy to find, but once you're there you're happy you took the time to!)

My next step was going to the Absinthiades in Pontarlier in October. That was also a cool experience, I met so many interesting people and i had lots of fun!

A part from that, I'm happy to be part of this forum, so I can share my experience with you and get to learn much much more =)

And now, I'm going to check what's going on in the forum!!!
Speak to you soon,
Alex

PS:I don't have a spellcheck, so excuse my spelling mistakes if there are any!
Shabba53
Welcome! You've covered some good bases.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll usher in some of our hazers to give you a proper initiation.
Absomphe
How about you show us your t…

Oh wait, that's Kirk's line.

Welcome!
dakini_painter
Hi!

I've met a few French folks here in the US who seem to think that van Gogh cut his ear off because of absinthe. And that it still is not legal, even in France.

[1] I know it is technically incorrect in this context that the "vee" in van Gogh is lower case, however I don't want my friend Boggy to get mad at me for capitalizing it.
sixela
I'll get mad at you for failing to capitalise it (and my reputation must be waning if people prefer incurring my wrath rather than Boggy's).

You should have written "Vincent van Gogh" to placate everyone…

As for Alexia (what a nice name!), it's very commendable to be modest, but not to be so modest as to write the first person pronoun "I" without a capital letter.

p.s. These days, most web browsers come with spelling checkers. Which one are you using?
absinthist
QUOTE(sixela @ Mar 2 2009, 03:13 PM) *

(and my reputation must be waning if people prefer incurring my wrath rather than Boggy's).

[beginning of a digression]You are just getting old, you will get used to it. Regarding the wraths-I have tansy, you have the apostrophe, the score is obvious. [End of the digression].

Hello Alexia*, bienvenue dans le chaos!

*really nice name, indeed!™
sixela
I'm a bitter old cylon.
Tibro
But you don't have a grammar checker, unfortunately.
QUOTE(sixela @ Mar 3 2009, 12:13 AM) *

These days, most we browsers come with spelling checkers.

Welcome, Alexia.
Kirk
Show us you're tits!
dakini_painter
Alexia,

Kirks' reference is to men who join internet forums and pretend to be women. I don't know why this would be. Perhaps they're transgendered or transvestites wanting to live a life they'll never know. There doesn't seem to be a problem of women joining an internet forum to pretend being a man, though the same reasoning applies.

I think they may be afraid that you could be a serial killer, or something.
Jaded Prole
And he really likes tits (with a small t).
Tibro
Or, in the immortal words of The Fugs, "You gotta like boobs a lot."

Unless it's just one boob, and that boob is Tits.
bobt
Hi Alexia, welcome here!
Absomphe
QUOTE(Jaded Prole @ Mar 3 2009, 04:05 AM) *

And he really likes tits (with a small t).

That clarification was completely unnecessary.
Absomphe
QUOTE(sixela @ Mar 2 2009, 03:13 PM) *

p.s. These days, most we browsers come with spelling checkers.

I had no idea you were a browser, although that could explain a lot.

Unless you're practicing to be a Scotsman, in which case, you forgot the ultimate 'e'.
Kirk
I just like to see if they know where the apostrophe goes and what they bring.
Alexia
Oh, I wasn't expecting so many answers at once, but it's always nice to be welcomed in such a way, thank you =)

I'll make sure I don't forget to be as modest as to forget to write my "I" in capital letters, and I will also try not to forget to show you all my tits someday… although tomorrow could never come =)

As for my name, thank you for people who said it was pretty, and guess what! My parents alsmost called me "Alexis" haha, you probably wouldn't have asked to see my tits if that had been my name would you? … I don't know, it's a boys name in France…

And well for Vincent van Gogh (did I get that right?) most people in France think he cut his ear because of absinthe, the same way as they think people go blind or go mad or what have you after having drunk absinthe… We still have a lot to do to get all these things out of their heads I think!

Anyway, have a nice day =)
Tibro
QUOTE(Alexia @ Mar 3 2009, 05:48 PM) *

My parents alsmost called me "Alexis"

Alsmost, but not quite, huh?

Well, I've heard that it's a boy's name on Battlestar Galactica as well. Or maybe I have that backwards.
Alexia
Yes, well almost I guess then…
And I'm not quite sure what all this business about Battlestar Galactica is supposed to mean, but maybe that's the way it should be after all!

By the way Sixela, I know what the problem with my computer is, it's that it thinks it's French… in other words when I type something in English it doesn't understand what I'm trying to write so it just doesn't spell check…
sixela
QUOTE(Alexia @ Mar 3 2009, 05:48 PM) *

My parents alsmost [sic] called me "Alexis"

A great opportunity missed.

haha, you probably wouldn't have asked to see my tits if that had been my name would you?

You'd be surprised. I should know [hint: think "Eviv Bulgroz!" and see my screen name].

… I don't know, it's a boys [sic] name in France…

You're Disturbing the Balance in the Apostrophe Universe again.

And well for Vincent van Gogh (did I get that right?)

Yup.
sixela
QUOTE(Alexia @ Mar 3 2009, 06:07 PM) *

By the way Sixela, I know what the problem with my computer is, it's that it thinks it's French… in other words when I type something in English it doesn't understand what I'm trying to write so it just doesn't spell check…

If you're using Firefox:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:3

Helfrich
QUOTE(dakini_painter @ Mar 2 2009, 11:01 PM) *

[1] I know it is technically incorrect in this context that the "vee" in van Gogh is lower case, however I don't want my friend Boggy to get mad at me for capitalizing it.

Human tragedy -- doing it all wrong onacuz that's what friends expect from you.
dakini_painter
I know it's sad. Maybe I'll end up with friends that want to set the Sugar Cubes on fire and then I'll do terrible wrong things. And ruin my reputation, however insignificant it may be.
sixela
And ruin my reputation, however insignificant it may be.

Better start colouring with A.a., then.
absinthist
QUOTE(Helfrich @ Mar 3 2009, 01:55 PM) *

Ain't that what the friends are about?
dakini_painter
QUOTE(sixela @ Mar 4 2009, 02:24 AM) *

And ruin my reputation, however insignificant it may be.

Better start colouring with A.a., then.

The little voice said: "A little bit of A. absinthium won't hurt. Go ahead." evill.gif

A liquor store owner yesterday told me about an annual absinthe "fest" in Amsterdam where there's "thousands of absinthes". He wants to attend some day. He mentioned this event twice as though it would be an exciting thing to do, so though maybe I'd want to go too. I mentioned Boveresse as an absinthe festival in the Swiss Alps, in the birthplace of absinthe.

I didn't have the heart to tell him that this Amsterdam festival was probably filled with artificially colored dreck. If he attends, he'll discover this himself.
Tibro
QUOTE(absinthist @ Mar 4 2009, 01:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Helfrich @ Mar 3 2009, 01:55 PM) *

Ain't that what the friends are about?

No. Friends are there to cover your back when mad bikers menace you with bottles in their hands. Fuck up willingly on your own then see who's standing by when the dust settles.
OCvertDe
QUOTE(dakini_painter @ Mar 4 2009, 07:45 AM) *

I didn't have the heart to tell him that this Amsterdam festival was probably filled with artificially colored dreck. If he attends, he'll discover this himself.

Even if it is mostly crap with no authenticity at all, I'm a little surprised to hear that there's "thousands of absinthes" in general, including everything that claims to be but clearly isn't. I'd think multiple hundreds would be a stretch?
dakini_painter
Maybe it's a great festival I don't know. You're right, there's probably not "thousands of absinthes", or even "a thousand absinthes", but it doesn't make a lot of sense to try and argue with someone when you want to sell them something.

Until now, his absinthe education has been directed by salespeople who probably didn't drink absinthe themselves. They used to carry Absente and think that was absinthe. Now they don't. That's some progress. They had slots for Lucid (sold out), Mata Hari (all six bottles), and something else that escapes me, but perhaps Mansinthe I think. Big step up.

OCvertDe
I see your point.
sixela
QUOTE(dakini_painter @ Mar 4 2009, 07:19 PM) *

Maybe it's a great festival I don't know.

If it's anything like some previous events there, I can reassure you: it's not (certainly not if you like absinthe).

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.