Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Introducing A New American Absinthe - In Federal Approval Now
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > General Absinthe Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3
brasil
hello everyone at La Fee Verte!

i have been lurking here since i registered, reading absinthe reviews and learning a few things, and in the meantime developing my own absinthe. i don't want to reveal the name or location of production until we have at least received confirmation of our formula approval.

i don't want to jinx anything, but suffice it to say that my business partner and i spent over one year deeply immersed in researching absinthe and how and where to produce it. my partner had been fascinated with it for about 7 years, and used to make his own shady homebrew in his kitchen. when i came along i helped him take his knowledge to the next level. i'm the "scientist" and he's the "marketer/networker" (although i'm not too shabby at networking myself).

we have created an incredibly smooth swiss blanche style absinthe that compares very favorably to kubler, although it's considerably lighter on the star anise in comparison, and perhaps due to that the wormwood and other flavors come forward more.

the TTB lab has had our bottle for about two weeks now so we're hoping, and very much keeping our fingers crossed, that we'll pass the thuj*ne test and then get formula approval. at that point i'll reveal our name and location.

just in case anyone with experience in this matter sees this, i have one burning question at the moment: we've had a very small run of about 20 liters distilled, and this is the batch that we submitted to the TTB. what insight could someone who has gone through this process offer as far as difficulties and challenges with scaling up recipes to larger amounts? we're worried that if we scale up our recipe linearly from 20 liters to a couple of hundred liters at a time, that it's going to taste different. any advice would be greatly appreciated!

in case anyone is curious, my personal favorite absinthes that i've tasted, in order of favorite first, are la clandestine, lucid, and kubler. i've tried la fee, la tourment verte, mythe traditional, st. george and maybe three others that were imported from overseas that aren't available here.

anyway….. thanks for enduring my long first post!

p.s. - why does "thujone" code for the emoticon of a steak? is it a bad word here?!
Grim
Blanche, eh? Corsair's claiming to take a weird-ass spin on a rouge absinthe… but, then again, they also refer to the "clean notes" of a blanche and "Dragon Wormwood"(?). Clean… heheh… guess they've never had a whiff of Swiss "barn-yard" funk…

At any rate… hi.
Doctor Love
That's no steak sir, it's a pork-chop!

Based upon what you've tasted, I'd strongly suggest you taste more absinthe. We already have lots of crappy absinthes to choose from in the domestic US market, please make sure you're not making another!

As far as commercially available blanches go, La Clandestine pretty good but my current favorite is Blanche Traditionelle Brut d'alambic Essai #4 from Matter-Luginbühl distillery in Switzerland. Available from Liquers de France. http://www.absintheonline.com/acatalog/Kal…s_absinthe.html

As for vertes that's a whole different ballgame.

There are lots of folks here that know the details of the production process that can hopefully give you an answer on your scaling question.
brasil
QUOTE(Grim @ Mar 9 2009, 01:26 AM) *

Tell me you're not the Corsair fookers - A.K.A, the bastardos-of-hibiscus?!

you mean these guys?
https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewC…=08357001000055

nope, we are not them…. we don't have a COLA yet and are still waiting for lab and formula approval. our first offering is an ultra-traditional. we're not trying to be "funky" yet. i see that they've gone with a fairly low proof…. our test bottle is 116 proof. fairly low, but not as low as they, or la clandestine, are.
brasil
QUOTE(Doctor Love @ Mar 9 2009, 01:32 AM) *

That's no steak sir, it's a pork-chop!

Based upon what you've tasted, I'd strongly suggest you taste more absinthe. We already have lots of crappy absinthes to choose from in the domestic US market, please make sure you're not making another!

As far as commercially available blanches go, La Clandestine pretty good but my current favorite is Blanche Traditionelle Brut d'alambic Essai #4 from Matter-Luginbühl distillery in Switzerland. Available from Liquers de France. http://www.absintheonline.com/acatalog/Kal…s_absinthe.html

As for vertes that's a whole different ballgame.

There are lots of folks here that know the details of the production process that can hopefully give you an answer on your scaling question.

aha… a Thujone-Bottle.jpg. i'll ponder that. i think i'm on the right track by liking the three i said i like, and i didn't mention that i really did not like the others i mentioned at all. la fee was a huge waste of $75, i liked mythe tradional at first, then i grew to dislike it. i quickly realized that le tourment vert was a joke…. thanks for your recommendation of blanche traditionelle brut. i'll look for that one!
brasil
i know a lot of people that tasted our absinthe test batch have liked it, including a couple of people who know absinthe, however there could be no tougher crowd than the members of this forum. i'm afraid. very afraid!
dakini_painter
Plenty of people will say they like something when they get it for free.

OCvertDe
Send us samples, and have your fears allayed.

Welcome! Good luck with your enterprise.
Absomphe
QUOTE(dakini_painter @ Mar 9 2009, 04:33 AM) *

Good thing nobody informed The Chosen™ of this social amenity.

Welcome, Brasil!
absinthist
Hello!
that compares very favorably to kubler

I do hope that in the final stage it will compare favorably to absinthe. And tell us more about your creation. 116 proof is alright for a blanche.
ultra-traditional
-good to hear that your heart is in the right place.
brasil
QUOTE(dakini_painter @ Mar 9 2009, 07:33 AM) *

very, very true. plenty of people also have no clue what "absinthe" is supposed to taste like in the first place, so when combined with your observation it makes for a tough audience!
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(brasil @ Mar 9 2009, 12:32 AM) *

we have created an incredibly smooth swiss blanche style absinthe that compares very favorably to kubler,

It probably would be better to make a swiss blanche style absinthe that compares very favorably to good Swiss blanche absinthes. Kubler isn't one of them. It's far too thin, smells weird, and the quality of the herbs employed are questionable. Or if they are good herbs, then their process apparently robs them of most of their goodness.

however there could be no tougher crowd than the members of this forum. i'm afraid. very afraid!

Boo!

Just kidding.

Welcome.
brasil
i actually found kubler to be lacking in complexity and much too high in star anise, so perhaps the use of the phrase "compares favorably to…" was actually an injustice to my own product!
absinthist
Definitely! Good that you have balls to be proud of your Art. Keep it up!
brucer
will everything on the label be in lower case ?
Wild Bill Turkey
QUOTE(brucer @ Mar 9 2009, 10:37 AM) *

Probably not, but it might have quotes from the label of the bottle on the shelf directly above it.
brasil
QUOTE(brucer @ Mar 9 2009, 01:37 PM) *

everything on the label is UPPER CASE, ironically. i treat emails and forum posts on the internet sort of like old-style telegrams (which were all the same case as well). the shift key is not worth the effort when it's just raw communication wink.gif
Tibro
Your "raw communication" is the face you put on your product here. We're not gonna ask for lipstick on a pig, just a little respect as potential customers. I mean, c'mon, dontcha wanna impress us? Just a little? Enough that we might believe that you know what you're doing?
G&C
If we are not worth the effort, then Fuck Off!
You pompous ass.
brasil
are you guys really being serious right now? this wasn't the reception i was expecting after making what seemed to be a humble and polite introduction (sans capitalization).

making absinthe is likely how i'm going to be making a living now that i was laid off from my "secure" day job. i'm taking this very seriously and came here to gain more knowledge and to learn about the best absinthes in the world. i've been developing this product for close to a year.

i want to think you're joking, but it seems you're not…
brasil
my day job was running an IT department at a university for 8 years. i've been on a lot of forums in that time. it's. just. the. internet.
Zman
This forum seems to really like the "shift" key. Hell, I ain't nothing special and I use it. You can, however, tell folks to go pound sand with impunity…as long as you use proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
Alan
Some people insist on Forum Etiquette. Tip 25 on this list is not necessarily adhered to here.
eric
Or tip #4 for that matter.

dakini_painter
Or tips 5, 6, 7, 12.

Some of the tips are only valid for members whose "date joined" is prior to the release of any of the Jades. Like wise, some tips must be followed by new members, while members meeting the previously aforementioned criteria nay ignore those tips.

Doctor Love
QUOTE(brasil @ Mar 9 2009, 02:57 PM) *

are you guys really being serious right now? this wasn't the reception i was expecting after making what seemed to be a humble and polite introduction (sans capitalization).

They enjoy being assholes. Don't worry, you'll get used to it.

Jaded Prole
Unfortunately you have.

i've been developing this product for close to a year.

So, you're another beginner trying to market your learning curve?
sixela
QUOTE(brasil @ Mar 9 2009, 11:01 PM) *

my day job was running an IT department at a university for 8 years. i've been on a lot of forums in that time. it's. just. the. internet.

It's just your reputation, and the first impression you make. Congratulations on your social skills.
Kirk
the shift key is not worth the effort when it's just raw communication

An attempt on your part at proper spelling and punctuation not only makes your post easier to read , it also shows that you put a little effort into the thing you are expecting someone else (us) to read . You have no way of knowing how we feel about this unless we tell you so relax , welcome to the fray.
smiley
Don't take anything here, (or any user for that matter), too seriously; only take absinthe seriously.

Like you said, its just the internet.

With that in mind, digital text can take on the idiosyncratic nuances that may be pleasant if only a little effort is exerted; orderly thought, logic, ideas, gramm(AR!), and text make mundane digital meetings like this much more human and personal.

Shabba53
Someone take Smiley's temperature.
Absomphe
And Czech for pods.
brasil
QUOTE(Jaded Prole @ Mar 9 2009, 07:51 PM) *

Unfortunately you have.

i've been developing this product for close to a year.

So, you're another beginner trying to market your learning curve?

we started research and development just 4 months after the first absinthes were approved in the united states, which i think was pretty timely on our part.

btw, to everyone: from now on i'm going to take even more pleasure in typing the way i goddamned feel like typing on a goddamned forum on the goddamned internet, which is without the goddamned shift key.

Thujone-Bottle.jpg

Patlow
How about just, "When in Rome." No?
Phoenix
Brasil, you seem like a genuine absinthe enthusiast and entrepreneur. Having tried 8-10 different brands of absinthe, and having researched and worked on your own brand for almost one full year, one can see that your credentials are impeccable. Don't mind the others on this forum, because you couldn't possibly learn anything from them anyways. I wish you all the best in your absinthe endeavor, and I hope you make lots of money, because that's what it's all about.
eric
btw, to everyone: from now on i'm going to take even more pleasure in typing the way i goddamned feel like typing on a goddamned forum on the goddamned internet, which is without the goddamned shift key.

What a jerk.

I would bet a quarter that your Absinthe sucks.

OCvertDe
I'll see your quarter, and raise you a penny.
eric
Ha!
Wild Bill Turkey
QUOTE(brasil @ Mar 10 2009, 10:08 AM) *

Bully for you. Wear your muddy boots into the dining room of a Japanese home. I'm sure they'll learn to love you for it.

Please feel free to keep reading the old threads here. Check out all the interesting articles in the Virtual Absinthe Museum, and other links at the top of page. We've had a lot of interesting discussions, and a lot of people have learned to greatly improve their craft and their appreciation here. A thoughtful reader can pick up a lot just by looking through the archives without needing anyone to interact with them.
Jaded Prole
Or you can plow ahead stubbornly with your 1 year of knowledge, put out another inferior product hoping to get rich, and feel like you're an expert for doing so . . .

I'll see that bet and raise it a quarter.
Donnie Darko
I wish anybody the best of luck in trying to make their own absinthe. To make something of quality without prior guidance or other spirit distillation or chemistry knowledge means a frustratingly steep and expensive learning curve, but it has been done before, it just takes a lot of time and lot of mistakes.

As for the resistance to legible typing, I don't get it. It's absurd one even has to explain this, as most first graders comprehend this just fine: If one wishes what they write to be read and comprehended by others, then they'd better use proper grammar, spelling, punctuation and capitalization. Unless you're James Joyce, then do whatever the fuck you want. But I don't think our new absinthe salesman is James Joyce.
absinthist
Green Baron
I am really surprised no one has linked specifically to the forum rules. Most of the folks here have been here so long, it's just habit for them. But there are a few rules and guidelines to this and most other forums the interwebs. LFV rules can be found here:

http://www.feeverte.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=3658

6. And lastly: We run the forum with a light touch. We do not generally moderate, censor or delete posts. But we do insist on reasonably correct spelling and good grammar. It's a courtesy to the other members, a sign that you devoted some effort and care to your post, and so their effort in replying or answering your questions is justified. If you can't spell, use a spell checker. Of course, if you're not a native English speaker, just do your best, we'll cut you the necessary slack.

I'm not perfect myself and have a typo here and there, but I do make an effort.

The fact that you either didn't bother to read about the customs here, or just as bad, decided to disregard them does not (as you seem to still not understand) reflect you well. Sure you've been on plenty of forums on the internet, but by the way you act, they were all populated by 12 year olds or other folks that didn't have a stake in how they represented themselves to the public.

But hey no sweat. it's.just.a.blown.first.impression.and.marketing.opportunity. So good luck on making your stuff. I'm sure you'll pay just as much necessary attention to detail in its development as you've shown your concern about how you come off to your potential customers. Onacuz I'm sure it doesn't matter to you- after all, it's just raw swill, right?
Steve
It's funny how time after time newbies come in claiming to have lurked for awhile, then are taken by surprise by how people react to things they should have known about if they had paid the tiniest amount of attention during their lurking phase.

You are free to not conform to the "rules", but fighting the entrenched culture will dominate your experience here until you either decide to conform or you leave in frustration and anger. I've seen it happen time after time. It doesn't matter if you think it's stupid or unfair, that's the way it is. Deal with it or deal with the consequences.
Doctor Love

I prefer you deal with the consequences, the natives need some agitation.

sardonix
Hey, are we having fun yet? May I suggest Absinth.24.net as a supplier for this soon-to-be new absinthe? evill.gif
brasil
i would recommend that people re-read my first post. i thought it was a very polite, humble introduction to the forum, and i thought that readers here would be interested to know that people are working hard to develop new american absinthes. i was not expecting to have three pages of replies, the last two of which are largely negative and insulting and not the least bit helpful (many thanks to the couple of positive and encouraging replies and PM's btw).

someone had the nerve to cite a forum rule about "punctuation" and "grammar." while my casual lack of use of the "shift" key is definitely one of my quirks when i write informal emails and post to forums, my spelling and grammar are usually impeccable. after such an issue was made of it in full ignorance of the actual content of my post, i'm even more determined not to change my personal style. i am fully capable of writing in a formal manner but i'm not going to bend over and do it to appease people who insult me on an internet forum. after the first mention of it was made, i actually considered switching to formal, but hell if i will now… "agitate the natives," most definitely.

after the number of insults i've received it takes a hell of a lot of nerve to bring up that rule in the face of another one of the rules which states:

"8) FLAMING: Anyone baiting or insulting other forum members in a violent or unpleasantly vitriolic manner (or responding to such baiting in an equally offensive way) may have their account suspended for one week, without warning."

the very first reply to my post, which has since been edited, asked if i was "one of those corsair a-holes." that was the first reply! it was mostly downhill from there. i've already been told to "f off," called a "pompous ass," "jerk," that i'm "wearing muddy shoes in a japanese home," "stubborn" with my "1 year of knowledge," etc etc etc.

as to the actual topic at hand, which i'll re-establish is absinthe, i think it's rather presumptuous to assume that one year of hours and hours of daily research makes me a "stubborn beginner." considering that i have a legally distilled product sitting in the TTB lab that numerous people have tasted and liked means i must know something, although i will freely admit that i'm at the beginning of the long road to discovering and mastering every nuance of absinthe production (and that's a lot of the fun). it's one thing to try a lot of absinthes and write about it on a forum, and quite another to try to make the stuff "hands on."

it should also be noted that we are working with an established distiller who originally got into the business because he and his partner were fascinated by the mythology of absinthe. they traveled around europe speaking with people and learning from distillers who know their craft. for various reasons that i'll explain later, their product did not end up being an absinthe, but obviously they are very excited to be working on an absinthe now.

finally, i was not expecting to become a statistic and to get laid off before our product is ready to sell. this is a very rough time for me. my paychecks have stopped, i'm losing my apartment and will be couch surfing with my business partner for months, and some days i get really depressed. we're putting our heart and soul into this absinthe project and it means everything to me right now. we are not greedy capitalists, my business partner and i, but artists and musicians who have tried the minimum number of absinthes required to know the difference between the crap using food coloring, low grade botanicals, non-traditional ingredients, focusing on t-jone levels, and the absinthes in the original tradition.

i came here, personally, to see if some very technical questions could be answered (such as the complex issue of scaling up a recipe), to read the reviews of absinthes i've tried and would like to try, and to gain any wisdom that might help us improve our product or subsequent products.

if people want to help us and eventually even receive a free bottle in the mail for review, then by all means, contribute to this thread. if not, well…. it's a big internet out there.
eric
Wow!

You REALLY are "Special".
brasil
QUOTE(eric @ Mar 10 2009, 08:22 PM) *

Wow!

You REALLY are "Special".

it's a big internet out there.
eric
Quoting the post directly above.

Dumass™.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.