Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pernod Couvet Swiss
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Vintage Absinthe
absinthe
circa 1930 ish…Good condition, I have seen on offer…Any idea what it's worth?
Donnie Darko
Never heard of "Pernod Couvet Swiss" from the 1930s. Are you by chance thinking of Pernod Pastis?
Marc
He might be talking about this : http://www.oxygenee.com/images/Pernod-SA2.jpg
That's Pernod from the 30's with label saying Couvet (Suisse), but it's from Tarragona, Spain.
Shabba53
I got an email about a bottle of this about a week ago. When I asked a few questions, I never heard back.
Donnie Darko
Oh, the Pernod SA Tarragonna. That was Edouard Pernod's Spanish venture, right? I had a sample of Pernod SA from a few years back and thought it was very good, though the recipe seemed more of a departure from pre-ban Edouard Pernod than 30s PF Tarragonna was from pre-ban Pernod Fils. It had a remarkable alcohol base though, if I remember correctly and smelled wonderful.

Any sample of a 1930s Pernod Fils Tarragonna or Pernod SA is worth getting, as despite some differences, they are still closer to pre-ban than the 50s/60s Tarragonna, most noticeably the 30s PF and the 30s SA both have a "room filling" aroma. But even the 50s/60s Tarragonna is pretty good. But Pernod SA Tarragonna is entirely different from Pernod Fils Tarragonna in terms of style and flavor profile, and much rarer to come across.

EDIT:
Here were my impressions:
http://www.feeverte.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=3397

As for worth, I have no idea. I don't remember what I paid for the sample, so can't even begin to guess what the bottle is worth. I've seen far fewer 30s Pernod SA bottles for sale than I have pre-ban Pernod Fils bottles though, so that tells you something.

IF the seller is unresponsive and it is not Oxy, one of the reputable Swiss collectors or a reputable forum member here, I'd tread VERY carefully.
Shabba53
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Mar 20 2009, 05:35 PM) *

I've seen far fewer 30s Pernod SA bottles for sale than I have pre-ban Pernod Fils bottles though, so that tells you something.
Trust me. They are everywhere in Spain. It's just not a huge market over there, so they stay where they are. Spaniards seem to be fairly insulated from this whole absinthe boom. Since it was never banned, it doesn't look to be a big deal to them.

IF the seller is unresponsive and it is not Oxy, one of the reputable Swiss collectors or a reputable forum member here, I'd tread VERY carefully.

So true.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.