Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The White House absinthe garden?
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > The Newgate Calendar
scuto
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/20/dining/20garden.html?_r=1

A little ways past the picture of chefs in a kitchen is the line:

And herbs will include some more unusual varieties, like anise hyssop and Thai basil.

Has anyone heard of this new hybrid herb anise hyssop?

At least they didn't use a hyphen.
scuto
blink.gif

Xit, my attempt to channel Sixer by getting on them for forgetting a comma failed utterly!

Shows you I need to PTFA more cos I had no idea such a plant existed. Now I know! Danke, DP.
dakini_painter
Your welcome.

It shows up a lot in the gardens of my herbalist friends. They always ask if this is the hyssop I want them to grow for me.

I wonder if I could have bypassed this whole distillery licensing by telling FDA I was simply making distilled herbal tinctures/supplements. blink.gif
Tibro
QUOTE(scuto @ Mar 21 2009, 07:00 PM) *

Xit, my attempt to channel Sixer by getting on them for forgetting a comma failed utterly!

QUOTE(dakini_painter @ Mar 21 2009, 10:06 PM) *

Your welcome.

What about Sixer's welcome? He's all about the missing apostrophe. A comma is too common.
sixela
QUOTE(dakini_painter @ Mar 21 2009, 10:06 PM) *

Your welcome.

His welcome? And what about yours?
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(scuto @ Mar 20 2009, 10:45 PM) *

And herbs will include some more unusual varieties, like anise hyssop and Thai basil.

Has anyone heard of this new hybrid herb anise hyssop?

Anise hyssop is a nice herb. If you mash it between your fingers it smells literally like a mixture of great anise and great hyssop. It's a real bumblebee magnet. I have yet to see anyone use it in an absinthe with pleasing results though, at least as far as Absinthes that I knew contained it. Something about it doesn't like alcohol, at least in my unprofessional opinion.
dakini_painter
My welcome?

Got you in my trap you cylon! spam_laser.gif
Kirk
I know of an absinthe that was made with anise hyssop . It was made with the theory of "cooling" herbs in mind . From all accounts , it was perfectly suited to its intended use.
Kirk
What I don't know is ; if the economy is supposed to be in shambles , how come I can't hire anyone to do meaningful , profitable labor ?
I see money being printed by the boatload and no body wants to earn it .
I can't hire a kid , I can't hire an adult , I can't even find an immigrant.
One thing I do know is ; high quality botanicals are not going to be readily available because I can't motivate a force to meet the object.
Kirk
Fuyck it, good thing I can still remember where I stashed the bullet.
Kirk
Importing is a joke , why do it?
Something has to give , it must have been me but I'm old , how about we say ; Something has to grow?
Kirk
Life is good , forget about me , how about we talk about you?
My 15 year old Buick runs great , don't want a Hummer .
Well maybe a "hummer" but not a Hummer . Come to think of it, fuck it , I'd like to see someone carry on , or as carrion , I'm not even sure anymore.
Hello , are you the one I'm supposed to kill?
Kirk
Did I say I hate you all ?
I hate you all.

'Cept you , you know I love you , come on , after all , look at all we've been through?
scuto
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Mar 22 2009, 06:55 PM) *
Anise hyssop is a nice herb. If you mash it between your fingers it smells literally like a mixture of great anise and great hyssop. It's a real bumblebee magnet. I have yet to see anyone use it in an absinthe with pleasing results though, at least as far as Absinthes that I knew contained it. Something about it doesn't like alcohol, at least in my unprofessional opinion.

I must arrange an anise hyssop encounter for myself. Somewhere… shady. With bees.

QUOTE(Kirk @ Mar 22 2009, 08:28 PM) *
I know of an absinthe that was made with anise hyssop . It was made with the theory of "cooling" herbs in mind . From all accounts , it was perfectly suited to its intended use.

Good to know it's not unheard of! As for cooling properties (other than mints), it seems I have a bit more education to undergo.
dakini_painter
I can't hire a kid , I can't hire an adult , I can't even find an immigrant.

I understand. Nobody wants to work. Wish I could hire him!
Kirk
Who is this Nobody you speak of ? How much does he have to make?
Doctor Love
Kirk, get ahold of yourself man!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_GJkKMPHxw

That scene still cracks me up no matter how many times I watch it
dakini_painter
QUOTE(Kirk @ Mar 23 2009, 08:57 AM) *

Who is this Nobody you speak of ? How much does he have to make?

Not sure. But last time I saw him he was hopping the 4:07 freight train to Cleveland.

I'd recommend hiring a couple girls in their early 20's that like the dirt and nurturing small thing like plants and puppies. They should look good in cut offs and a tank top or bikini top (for summer work). Guaranteed to attract young men who want to work in the dirt too.

Also look for ag interns from the colleges. Often they get paid by the school, or you just have to provide room and board.
Kirk
Note to self:
One young girl in a tank top can attract three people willing to put out .
Thanks D!
The boom and bust never came here , houses with dirt floors don't spike or drop , you'd think I'd be able to find help .
I think the problem with the economy runs deeper than people realize .
I am fucking sick of it , and I am the one being taxed , there is going to be hell to pay.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.