Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Extreme beers
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > The Cellar
absinthist
Good direction.

At 10 per cent, a 330ml bottle would be four units – the recommended daily amount for a man.

What that norom™ is talking about? The recommended daily amount is the daily amount the drinker recommends for himself. Four units sounds like a chapter in English coursebook harhar.gif . 330ml is not a bottle, even in here we call it "bączek" so something really small, for one gulp or such.

There's no way someone can drink 20 a night

There is no way someone cannot drink 20 a night. It is just an equivalent of more or less 14 regular and normal (500ml) beers.

a bottle of vodka for £5

Why sooooooooo expensive? Where this world is heading?
Shabba53
QUOTE(absinthist @ Mar 30 2009, 08:17 AM) *

There's no way someone can drink 20 a night

There is no way someone cannot drink 20 a night. It is just an equivalent of more or less 14 regular and normal (500ml) beers.

You misunderstood his point. He was saying there are much cheaper ways to drink 20 beers.
absinthist
20 beers (if that funny 33cl) is more or less the equivalent of 75cl of vodka. In here, as regards the price comparison it would be like 30zł (assuming we take cheap beers available in 33cl) to 28zł per vodka, so then drinking vodka is relatively cheaper than eating beers. However, if you happen to find a 33cl beer that costs 1zł, 20 beers would be just 20zł, so it would be cheaper to eat beer than drink vodka in that case. Hence, his point is invalid because it is viewed from one angle only and doesn't allow further possibilities or alternatives.
Shabba53
Again, you misunderstand.

He is being attacked for making strong beer. His point in that he's making it for the connoisseur crowd, and not for the crowd who is just looking to get messed up. At 4 quid per bottle, it's obviously not just about the alcohol content, it's about the craft.

His point is perfectly valid. His beer isn't to be construed as the Everclear of beers.
Absomphe
"The new breed of bitters, with their intense flavours and alcohol contents of up to 12 per cent…"

British vagina.gif

He needs to sip on a few bottles of Hair of the Dog Dave, in order to grow a set.
Provenance
What good is high alcohol unless it's at least a little sour?
G&C
I liked the Speed Ball reference.
Plus the only death they mentioned was of a drug crazed wanna be from more than 27 years ago.
Le Gimp
I think it is all a matter of creating news to sell papers.

I'm starting the evening with a 750mL bottle of Old Woody bottled in 2001. 10% abv, oak aged Old Ale.

Absomphe
I sipped one of those not too long ago.

The name says it all.
absinthist
What about that?

Since it is three times freeze-distilled, should we consider it beer and at that walloping strength?

http://www.brewdog.com/tactical_nuclear_penguin.php

Btw, anyone has had it yet?
OCvertDe
At £35 per bottle, I wonder how hardcore a beer drinker would have to be to bet that the ride was going to be worth the entry fee.
absinthist
Of the freeze-distilled beers, I have had that xit as a bock it was really nice, robust and complex but nothing that spectatular to wank over such a tiny bottle and for such a prohibitive price I must admit.
Provenance
QUOTE(Le Gimp @ Dec 29 2009, 06:09 PM) *
bottle of Old Woody

???
Absomphe
QUOTE(OCvertDe @ Dec 30 2009, 04:36 AM) *

At £35 per bottle, I wonder how hardcore a beer drinker would have to be to bet that the ride was going to be worth the entry fee.

I'm not so sure about that.

I'd gladly pay 35 quid to try a bottle of Hair of the Dog Dave, and that weighs in at 29%abv.

Aside from that, Brew Dog has produced some very respectable scotch barrel aged beers, so this once frozen, concentrated example might well turn out to be delicious. Well, with some really long cellaring, anyway.
OCvertDe
I'm just saying, for roughly the same cost as a fifth of Walton Waters, I'm having trouble getting my head around it.

ON the other hand, a $50 steak probably doesn't make much sense to a vegetarian either, and something like that may be at work here.
absinthist
Schorschbräu Schorschbock is 43%, previously Brew Dog with Sink the Bismarck has hit at 41%. It all started with BD's Penguin at 32%. 't Koelschip had an answer-Oblix at 45%.

Brew Dog releases The End of History at 55%. 't Koelschip is not waiting and strikes back with Start the Future at 60%.

Some of these "beers" are stronger than regular bierbrands, wtf? Profiteering™ in beer industry?
Absomphe
poop.gif

At least one of those wanker breweries should have the balls to name the next one Penis Envy.
grey boy
Shut up kettle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.