Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thujone in Green
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Dr Magnan's Lab
Provenance
Research was conducted to ascertain whether analyses of vintage absinthe samples represent their original composition in the early 1900s. Absinthe stored in traditional green glass bottles and irradiated with ultraviolet light for up to 200 h exhibited unchanged composition. Samples stored in clear glass exhibited an 18% reduction in beta-thujone content and a concurrent decoloration. These experiments indicate the stability of thujone in vintage absinthes, as these were stored in green glass bottles. The preserved color of the preban absinthes subjected to analysis indicates that no significant light exposure occurred throughout the duration of storage, and therefore provides indirect proof that no loss of terpenes occurred. The stability of absinthe was further demonstrated through the reanalysis of samples from 2001-2005, which exhibited no changes in thujone content as of 2008. A previous evaluation of preban absinthe was therefore valid and not confounded by significant thujone deterioration over time.
Shabba53
Good stuff. Where do we find the rest?
Provenance
You can buy a copy for about $30 or, after consultation with my IP legal counsel, I could email a pdf.
Absomphe
Sounds like the final nail in the coffin of a certain "Doctor's" dead horse. LARS!.gif
Jaded Prole
Don't count your horses before they rot.
Kirk
Strange that there is a rise after a fall .
Provenance
And always will be.
dakini_painter
All the articles published by Dr. Dirk Lachenmeier in Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry can be found here:

http://pubs.acs.org/action/doSearch?search…cation=40026026

Provenance
But the site does (reasonably) require payment for access to the full text of the article.
absinthist
Why don't you better ask around? No payment=full satisfaction of reading an article guaranteed.
dakini_painter
The journal has staff to keep employed and put the thing together. Most scientific journals don't have advertising so it's the responsibility of the subscribers to help support the journal through their subscriptions.

There are also placed called Libraries. I suspect that other university libraries other than Univ. du Quebec, Trois-Rivieres has copies.

You could also consider that membership in the American Chemical Society could be of value to you, if you think there are more articles of interest becoming a member may be of benefit.

In any case, $30 is less than the price of most bottles of absinthe in the US. So it's not much money.
Kirk
Speaking of articles , check out the April '09 issue of The Artists Magazine .
absinthist
"When Realism isn't real?" page 44?
Kirk
Yup , home town boy makes good .
Kirk
Aaron Morgan Brown
Donnie Darko
Every time I see something of his my jaw drops.

As for the tJone article, yay.
Provenance
QUOTE(dakini_painter @ Apr 3 2009, 03:37 AM) *
There are also placed called Libraries.

A frequently under appreciated resource.
Absomphe
Not here in Bellingham, at least not since the onset of the recession.

Library cards are all the rage, these days, and folks are actually using them.
Provenance
One advantage to being here in the cradle of civilization -- access to some of the world's greatest libraries.
Absomphe
Indeed™.
G&C
We're in Alexandria?
Provenance
Quite close.
eric
Ha!
Kirk
Provenance seems to me to have access to libraries I've never seen , even the ones he's shown me ,
in fact , I think he knows the lobbies , mezzanine and body and
I know ( I hope ) he's not lobbing me .
Kirk
I smell smoke , prov , you got a truck ?
G&C
I thought the good stuff already burned.
dakini_painter
Yes it did. Grimmy has a papyrus scroll that proves the Alexandrian alchemists knew about distillation, and made absinthe better than anything we've ever seen.
absinthist
QUOTE(G&C @ Apr 3 2009, 09:12 PM) *

I thought the good stuff already burned.

I thought the 'good stuff' was believed to be burnt™. However, haven't we learnt more in the recent days?
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Provenance @ Apr 1 2009, 05:31 PM) *

Research was conducted to ascertain whether analyses of vintage absinthe samples represent their original composition in the early 1900s. Absinthe stored in traditional green glass bottles and irradiated with ultraviolet light for up to 200 h exhibited unchanged composition. Samples stored in clear glass exhibited an 18% reduction in beta-thujone content and a concurrent decoloration. These experiments indicate the stability of thujone in vintage absinthes, as these were stored in green glass bottles. The preserved color of the preban absinthes subjected to analysis indicates that no significant light exposure occurred throughout the duration of storage, and therefore provides indirect proof that no loss of terpenes occurred. The stability of absinthe was further demonstrated through the reanalysis of samples from 2001-2005, which exhibited no changes in thujone content as of 2008. A previous evaluation of preban absinthe was therefore valid and not confounded by significant thujone deterioration over time.

The full paper can now be found at Thujon.info. (I'm not going to bother changing the font to get around the silly word filter…)

Though not the intention of the article, I'd be curious to see what effect, if any, UV radiation had on anethole levels. UV definitely has an affect on organoleptic properties, so I'd be very curious to see if it could be determined what chemical components were changing as a result of UV exposure.
dakini_painter
I'm sure some research has been done in this area.

Oxidation reactions of some natural volatile aromatic compounds: anethole and eugenol
http://www.springerlink.com/content/tt871041566m1h88/

LC Determination of Anethole in Aniseed Drinks
http://www.springerlink.com/content/t4k4867728154306/

http://www.rsc.org/Publishing/ChemScience/…eeping_ouzo.asp
Photochemistry in everyday life: The effect of spontaneous emulsification on the photochemistry of trans-anethole
http://www.rsc.org/Publishing/Journals/PP/…sp?doi=b614244c

Phytochemical and chemotaxonomic studies of Foeniculum vulgare
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=A…04eff8171fe4f03

Lots more if you have time…
Provenance
Organo….what? There's been a misunderstanding. This thread was intended as a tribute to the upcoming 50th anniversary of….
eric
That is an amazing song Prov. Brings back some of my most heartbreaking memories.
sixela
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Jun 19 2009, 04:11 PM) *
UV definitely has an affect on

Grrr…

Absomphe
Ah, disaffected youth…
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.