Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: top 5 of absinthe verte
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe Brands Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
EdouardPerneau
I would like to know your top 5 in absinthe verte :

mine :

helfrich ( as nice to be everyday absinthe)
belle amie #1 ( #2 not tasted yet)
verte suisse
roquette 1797
françois guy ( why not ? VERY good anise )

and you?

Kirk
Meadow of love
Walton Waters
Leopold Verte
Vieux Carre .
Pacifique
Not necessarily in that order .
Steve
I have 4 of Kirk's choices on order, so I haven't tasted them yet.

My list might be:

Verte Suisse
Nouvelle Orléans
l'Italienne
Vieux Pontarlier
Doubs Mystique
absinthist
Walton Waters, Pacifique, L'Italienne, Leopold, Helfrich in no particular order since each of them is unique on its own.
Grim
The sad thing is how well I know a few of those makers (immediately above) but I haven't tried any of those… well, straight out of a full bottle.
Green Baron
Well, I might as well do this before I try Walton Waters and Meadow of Love. I have a feeling just listing 5 will become nigh impossible at that point.

Pacifique
Marteau Belle Epoque
L'Italienne
Helfrich 68
Leopold Bros.

Sort of in that order, but of course it varies, yadda yadda.

On any given random day, Jade VS or Ed displaces one of the ones on the list.
Absinthe Ben
Listing a top 5 is almost impossible, yes, so instead I'll say the top three brands I've treid in the last year are probably:

Blanche Traditionelle Brut d'alambic Essai 4
Promethee
Pacifique

Rather disappointed with the Belle Amie II, I've hardly touched it after trying a few glasses over the past month…
techdiver
PF 1901 and Doubs Mystique are my 2 favorites. Belle Amie ranks high though a bit unsatifying in the louche department. Marteau Verte Classique is another favorite. Hate to admit to having another 10 bottles that have yet to be opened, but having over a dozen open now is sufficient.
synthetic buddhist

Top Five ….Just for Today, anyway wacko.gif

Pacifique
Marteau Belle Epoque
Meadow of Love
Leopold Bros.
L'italienne/Doubs Mystique, either/or, depending on whatever..
Absomphe
Nice list.
Shabba53
QUOTE(techdiver @ May 16 2009, 03:44 PM) *
but having over a dozen open now is sufficient.

Pshaw. harhar.gif
Absomphe
Whaddaya mean, pshaw?

I'll be that's how many you opened………yesterday.
Patlow
Is it safe to say that Americans are taking over absinthe? Not that they didn't do it in Europe already if you want to get cunty about it.

But I mean, hhhmmm…
Kirk
I agree with that assessment .
My 3 favorite absinthes are all made in the USA .
I am ashamed to admit that I have tried pretty much everything that was possible to obtain in an absinthe since day one of the "revival" . Some of these were good , a few were great . I happily gave away nearly full bottles of anything that threatened to be finicky.
I think an absinthe should be accessible and honest . Absinthe should not be fragile , and it should not be finicky . A good absinthe will louche at the sink , if it won't , it is flawed .
A weak louche is not just a visual flaw , it is indicative of a process flaw . The nature of absinthe is in the oils it contains , no louche means no oil .
Currently the best absinthe on the market is Vieux Carre , anything from Delaware Phoenix and Leopold Brothers Verte .
Not necessarily in that order.
G&C
Except the louche should be opalescent, not snot-ball thick or completely opaque.
The drink is to be refreshing, not throat clogging.
Absomphe
Indeed.

As exemplified by a particularly elegant American absinthe conspicuously absent from that short list.
Kirk
I understand your position .
And yes, it is a very short list but it's an honest one .
I could stretch it a little but after the next few entries the list would become meaningless . Certainly after the top 5 things get mediocre , strange at best.
I will include Pacifique but to be fair , it is a little temperamental , which gets back to what I said about an absinthe being accessible or user friendly . If I pay money for a top brand I like it to not make me work too hard to understand it . I think the coloring job on the Pacifique is near flawless though.
Kirk
QUOTE(G&C @ May 17 2009, 08:58 PM) *

Except the louche should be opalescent, not snot-ball thick or completely opaque.
The drink is to be refreshing, not throat clogging.

A thick and turgid louche could also be a sign of process or recipe flaw . We all know of examples of this . The ideal absinthe in my mind has both a thick louche and a refreshing flavor .
dakini_painter
I've had arak that "louches like a brick" as a friend likes to say, and it's quite refreshing. I've had absinthes that louche thickly and they're refreshing too.

If you look at the other categories I think invariably the more flavorful beverages are the ones more highly regarded. You can enjoy a full flavored Scotch whisky, or you can enjoy the light version that's been diluted with GNS and water. Take your pick.

You can buy a nice Beaujolis or Cabernet, or you can buy a bag-in-a-box wine. I bet I know which one is going to have more flavor.

You can buy a nice well made Pilsner, or other beer in one of the lighter styles, or you can buy Bud, Miller or Coors. I bet I know which one is going to have more flavor.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Kirk @ May 17 2009, 06:19 PM) *

I will include Pacifique but to be fair , it is a little temperamental.

I've watered Pacifique out of a sport bottle with room temperature water, and I've gotten a semi-opaque louche with lovely opalescence. The mouth feel wasn't as satiny as it was using a fountain, and iced water, but I've honestly not had a single experience with it that was reminiscent of, say, the original Belle Amie, and certainly not what I'd call temperamental, but to each his own.
eric
QUOTE(Kirk @ May 17 2009, 07:42 PM) *
A good absinthe will louche at the sink , if it won't , it is flawed .
A weak louche is not just a visual flaw , it is indicative of a process flaw . The nature of absinthe is in the oils it contains , no louche means no oil .

I tend to agree with maybe a couple of exceptions. I will often test a new sample with water at room temperature. If I cannot coax at least a modest louche, I will more than likely lose interest.
Kirk

I've met the creator of Pacifique , I've drank with him on different occasions , late into the night . I like him , I know him to be a man that sticks to his ideals and I wish him all the success in this he wants .
I think the gin is great .
Kirk
You can't put too much water in a nuclear reactor.
Kirk
At least we are talking about Pacifique , to not talk about it would be an insult. . I don't mean to tear it down or stop people from buying it .

I could list dozens that are not worth saying much at all about . . .
so I won't.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Kirk @ May 17 2009, 06:19 PM) *

If I pay money for a top brand I like it to not make me work too hard to understand it.

Ah, here's where we differ.

To me, a great absinthe is akin to a great woman…seductive, elegant, intricately woven, complex, and more than a bit mysterious.

For me, Pacifique is one of those truly rare absinthes.
Kirk

Maybe so but your analogy is unsettling.
OCvertDe
QUOTE(Kirk @ May 17 2009, 10:19 PM) *
I could list dozens that are not worth saying much at all about . . .
so I won't.

Hmm… the anti-BG. There's a concept.
dakini_painter
QUOTE(Absomphe @ May 17 2009, 10:31 PM) *

To me, a great absinthe is akin to a great woman…seductive, elegant, intricately woven, complex, and more than a bit mysterious.

QUOTE(Kirk @ May 17 2009, 11:03 PM) *

Maybe so but your analogy is unsettling.

I want that Pacifique dude to be very successful, second only to me MAWHAHA! evill.gif , but I wouldn't want an absinthe to be like Brigid O'Shaughnessy, Phyllis Dietrichson or even Ellen Berent.
Absomphe
Yup, you're spot on, Dakini, that's just the way I like 'em.

Oh, I forgot a little bit dangerous.

Throw in Kathie Moffat.
sixela
QUOTE(Absomphe @ May 18 2009, 03:31 AM) *

The expletive I'd be tempted to use when I'm out of ice cubes would be "high maintenance bitch" - I'm with Kirk; despite your findings (you must have some strange tap water or live close one of the poles - no, not that Pole) I don't get a decent louche from tap water, and too little taste.

Now, when I do have ice cubes at my disposal I suddenly realise I have nothing against bitches…
Absomphe
QUOTE(sixela @ May 18 2009, 07:36 AM) *

(you must have some strange tap water or live close one of the poles - no, not [that[/i] Pole)

Well, I might live a tad closer to the North Pole than you do, but it's very consoling (to me, at least) that you live considerably closer to that Pole than I do.

Btw, I never said I use tap water, only room temprature water, after which I chill the louched absinthe down for awhile. I wouldn't drink our (unfiltered) tap water straight, let alone sully a fine absinthe with it.
eric
Well, I might live a tad closer to the North Pole than you do

Nope, Sixer is further north than you.

absinthist
QUOTE(eric @ May 17 2009, 06:00 PM) *

I will often test a new sample with water at room temperature. If I cannot coax at least a modest louche, I will more than likely lose interest.

Doing the same. First, the trial with room temperature water, then with a frozen one. If the louche is not satisfactory or, what is worse, the louche is barely there, I am analyzing what mistakes might have occurred and whether these can be fixed. When absinthe louches nicely with room temp water, it is indicative it should be nice as well. Yet, I use only one and the same water-spring water we use for everything at home, so cooking, tea, art, what not. I put it in the freezer for 30 mins and when the ice starts to form within, it is ready to be used with absinthe.

QUOTE(sixela @ May 18 2009, 06:36 AM) *

you must have some strange tap water or live close one of the poles - no, not that Pole) I don't get a decent louche from tap water, and too little taste.

IMO, tap water should not be used for louching or for anything like drinking especially. No matter how many times you run it thru Brita filters and such, it remains what it is-tap (crap?) water.

What about that Pole? We have very good and clean water in Poland.
Kirk
My tap water starts out very clean , then I filter it . I find it much cleaner and more refreshing than bottled water .
Bottled water is , after all , filtered tap water . Now that I have been drinking good clean, fresh water , the bottled tastes like it's contaminated with petroleum .
Steve
We're lucky in San Francisco to have very good tap water. It's not even contaminated with pharmaceuticals like most metropolitan water supplies, since ours comes from the Sierra mountains. I leave a glass pitcher in the fridge filled with water. Letting it age a day or two allows the chloramine to dissipate. I agree that bottled water actually tends to have a petroleum-ish taste. I also stopped buying bottled water for environmental reasons. The downside is, I no longer have a supply of "earthquake water".

I always use lots of ice and the cold water from the fridge in a fountain with a slow drip to make my drink because it is always produces good refreshing results.
Tibro
Kirk took the words from my keyboard verbatim. My tap water comes from our well, which supplies one of my neighbors as well. It's the most reliable home well in the neighborhood. Filtered once and once and I have yet to find another source quite as refreshing and clean tasting.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Kirk @ May 17 2009, 09:19 PM) *

I will include Pacifique but to be fair , it is a little temperamental , which gets back to what I said about an absinthe being accessible or user friendly. If I pay money for a top brand I like it to not make me work too hard to understand it . I think the coloring job on the Pacifique is near flawless though.

I think Pacifique's louche and color are comparable to the Pernod Fils "Very Green" sample that some people had last year, though the louche is maybe just a tiny bit lighter. I had a glass last night though and the louche was opaque without being thick. The only arena in which I think it could use improvement is the aroma is rather light. The aroma that is there is very good, but pretty subtle considering the quality of herbs used and the great color.

I think any louche criticisms about Pacifique are due to it being batch #1 of the traditional interpretation of the Swiss method as described in Duplais. I expect subsequent batches will have a little more "oopmh".

But as it is right now I'd still put it in the top 5 of US available Vertes.

My list would be, in no particular order: Vieux Pontarlier, WW Meadow of Love, Leopold, and Pacifique. I have yet to give Vieux Carré a proper evaluation, but hopefully will soon. I had a tiny taste at the DUNY party but I didn't trust my besotted tastebuds at that event to give it a fair evaluation.

And I use NYC tap water sent through a PUR pitcher filter. Tastes fine to me. Supposedly NYC tap water is some of the best in the US.
Jaded Prole
NY tap water is the best. The water here is not good. I use a Virginia spring water kept in the fridge. I've had very good absinthe with a moderate louche and very good absinthe with a turgid louche but I do like complexity. I get bored easily. Absinthe should be a well balanced, floral, celebration of flavors that stays interesting. Accessible yet with depth and complexity.
tommynar
From what I've drank and finished the bottles (not just a single drink sampled but the whole thing):

Vieux Carre
Jade PF 1901
Jade Edouard
Belle Amie (1)
Hills ( shock.gif kidding )
Doubs Mystique Gold

Or really:

Vieux Carre
Vieux Carre
Vieux Carre
Vieux Carre
Jade PF 1901
OCvertDe
blink.gif
Kirk
I think any louche criticisms about Pacifique are due to it being batch #1 of the traditional interpretation of the Swiss method as described in Duplais. I expect subsequent batches will have a little more "oopmh".

Yeah.
Absinthe Ben
QUOTE(absinthist @ May 18 2009, 03:03 PM) *

QUOTE(eric @ May 17 2009, 06:00 PM) *

I will often test a new sample with water at room temperature. If I cannot coax at least a modest louche, I will more than likely lose interest.

Doing the same. First, the trial with room temperature water, then with a frozen one. If the louche is not satisfactory or, what is worse, the louche is barely there, I am analyzing what mistakes might have occurred and whether these can be fixed. When absinthe louches nicely with room temp water, it is indicative it should be nice as well. Yet, I use only one and the same water-spring water we use for everything at home, so cooking, tea, art, what not. I put it in the freezer for 30 mins and when the ice starts to form within, it is ready to be used with absinthe.

Yeah, I also like to test the louche with room temperature water. Ever tried to louche Un Emile 45 with room temp water? Pitiful.

Not that anyone should bother with any Un Emile product in the first place, mind you…
Absomphe
Thanks for the timely advice, Ben.

I'll look for something better now.
Provenance
Un Emile 68?
Absomphe
HA!
OCvertDe
68 Sapin.
Absomphe
It was funny the first time.
Absinthe Ben
Oh, come now, I'm only a few years late. harhar.gif

Sapin is equally meh.
Patlow
It is interesting. It's worth the flask purchase.
OCvertDe
I really like the Sapin, and I really don't like the others. I'd pretty much given up on UE when I tried the Sapin, it was a pleasant surprise. It's no Jade mind you, but on the other hand it's no Lucid either.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.