Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Absinthe J. Edouard Pernot spoon
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthiana & Collectibles
Absinthia
Recently someone approached me with an interesting question. She found a strange little spoon on a flee market, which evidently is an absinthe spoon. She wants to know if it's a genuine antique, or a fake. At first I had my doubts, as it seemed to "clean" and light, but later pictures sort of convinced me it could be a real one. Does anyone has some practical advice on this?

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

She saw one such spoon being sold on eBay for $160, so she's also curious as to how much this spoon might be worth.
Thanks for your input!
pierreverte
the spoon looks real, the value ? certainly one could go for that price…
Kirk
I would say the spoon is not a fake , too difficult to make , anyone that could fake that spoon would not bother with deception .
The question of price or value is easily determined by what it commonly sells for , eBay being a good a metric .
OCvertDe
I think if I found that at a flea market I'd probably buy it and worry about the possible question of authenticity later. I've never seen anything at a flea market that was actually worth anything that was priced higher than anything else, and most of the time the vendor hasn't a clue what they actually have.
Absinthia
Thank you everybody, I will let her know she should count herself lucky having stumbled across such a great object.

In case someone's interested in the spoon, she might be willing to sell it. I don't have the money to spend on an old spoon wink.gif
absinthist
old spoon

Steve is relatively young evill.gif do not be so cruel to him.
Absomphe
But I'm "Old Man", and we're the same age, so make up your besotted mind, already, you senile kid!
absinthist
Oh yeah, Old Man harhar.gif
OCvertDe
Do you know what she paid for it?
G&C
Does it really matter?
OCvertDe
Not yet.
Absinthia
No idea. Considering she found it at a flea market amidst a whole lot of spoons, forks and knives, I think she made a bargain there. Why is it no flea markets I visit have such objects? …
Steve
QUOTE(absinthist @ Apr 25 2009, 11:59 AM) *

old spoon

Steve is relatively young evill.gif do not be so cruel to him.

Yes, relatively young if standing next to Walter Cronkite. But thanks…
absinthist
QUOTE(Absinthia @ Apr 28 2009, 03:54 AM) *

Why is it no flea markets I visit have such objects? …

Coz it is more common to come across fully-functional Panzerfaust than a stupid absinthe spoon.
Marc
It's a very nice spoon, one of the most sturdy in hands.
The last one I saw on eBay sold for 161€ ($213) and it's worth it imo, not a common spoon. I paid mine 160€ too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.