Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cookie Sharing?
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Entertainment
Wild Bill Turkey
Don't know what to make of this, but it creeps me right the fuck out.

I'm surfing YouTube, and I come upon a funny-ish video by The Onion about a "World of Warcraft" game sequel where you play somebody who is playing WoW. ( Video ) Then I come here to post a link to it for Donnie and Artemis because I seem to remember that they discussed that game a while back. I run a search here for the game's name, but I can't find the thread I was thinking about, so I blow it off.

A few minutes later, I go to ebay to check the status of my auctions, and the home page has a a section of "Suggestions for things you might like", and it's filled with World of Warcraft games for sale, something I've never even remotely shown interest in on their website.

This isn't the first time this has happened to me, and it happens on Amazon, too. I look up Cherry Marnier on an English booze website, and the next time I sign on to ebay, all the suggestions are for Cherry Heering and Grand Marnier. Amazon tries to sell me barspoons after I look one up on Kegworks.com. WTF?
OCvertDe
You shouldn't have said anything… now they know you're on to them.
Kirk
Look at the bright side , at least they aren't trying to sell you depends .
OCvertDe
HA!
speedle
Cookies, they're the devil's spawn.
Donnie Darko
If you have a facebook or myspace page that could explain it. Any word you've ever typed or searched is handed to advertisers for pilfering. I'm pretty sure if you have a gmail account they do the same thing. I never got spam until I signed up for gmail, in spite of checking all boxes that said "do not send me your bullshit". Whoops!

I recommend a colonoscopy. It's less invasive.
Wild Bill Turkey
You know, this shit DID start around the time I got a gmail addy. Hmm. The same goes for My Spacebook too? Good warning, that needs to become more common knowledge.
scuto
If they mine my gmail account for words to give to advertisers, I'm surprised how tame my "targeted ads" are.
Wild Bill Turkey
Well, Amazon can hardly give you "suggestions" to buy underage prostitutes.
scuto
Dad?
Wild Bill Turkey
IPB Image
The Standard Deviant
Disturbingly, it sounds more like Deep Packet Inspection than Google (and might not even be legal):

QUOTE("http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_packet_inspection")
Targeted advertising
Because ISPs route all of their customers' traffic, they are able to monitor web-browsing habits in a very detailed way allowing them to gain information about their customers' interests, which can be used by companies specializing in targeted advertising. At least 100,000 US customers are tracked this way, and as many of 10% of US customers have been tracked in this way. Technology providers include NebuAd, Front Porch and Phorm. US ISPs monitoring their customers include Knology,[6] and Wide Open West, and probably also Embarq. In addition, the UK ISP British Telecom has admitted testing technology from Phorm without their customers' knowledge or consent.[7]

Basically every website you visit is logged, and advertisers (e.g. eBay) pay to know what you've been looking for. I don't know if eBay are involved in this, it's just an example.

One way it can be implemented:

IPB Image
speedle
QUOTE(scuto @ Apr 27 2009, 04:21 PM) *

If they mine my gmail account for words to give to advertisers, I'm surprised how tame my "targeted ads" are.

Ha!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.