Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hello
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > General > The Entrance Hall
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Diamondgirl
Hello, everyone. My name is April, I am from Boston, MA.

I enjoy the process of things as much as I enjoy the things themselves; I knit lace shawls, I make obsessively detailed tea sandwiches, polishing silver is my idea of a good time.

Absinthe appears to be another way for me to deliberately slow down what I am doing until I am putting the maximum amount of thought into the minimum amount of action.

I have really only just started drinking absinthe. When it became legal again in the USA, I thought it sounded like a ridiculous, overrated drink. After reading a little more on this and other sites about the interesting history of the drink, I decided it might be worth a look after all. So I bought a bottle of Lucid; I figured if I completely hated it, I could use the cool bottle as a way to get one of my friends to take it off my hands.

It's pretty nice. So I joined on here in the hopes that I could get advice about the drink.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Diamondgirl @ May 25 2009, 03:10 PM) *

When it became legal again in the USA, I thought it sounded like a ridiculous, overrated drink.

Always trust your first instincts, April.

Welcome!
eric
Yes, Absinthe is indeed ridiculous and overrated.

Welcome to the Forum, April.
rjordan
Hmmm. Is that you Geyboy?

gun thug.gif
OCvertDe
Welcome! If you think Lucid is quite nice, wait until you try one that actually isn't ridiculous and over rated! abs-cheers.gif
absinthist
Or get some real absinthe instead, like Walton Waters, Pacifique or Leopold.
Diamondgirl
Well, that's what I need you lot for, isn't it? Before I am seduced by the miracle of online shopping into purchasing an $850 bottle of vintage oven cleaner, I would like to be told what to do by a couple dozen total strangers on the Internet. biggrin.gif

Seriously; I figured $60 for a bottle of booze was enough to satisfy my curiosity until I was directed a little more closely by the experts.

I don't know; do they sell Pacifique in Massachusetts yet? Walton Waters? hmmm (goes to work google fu…)
Kirk
Welcome to the fray .
Vieux Carre is not a bad choice either .
Alan
Diamondgirl, these guys are only being nice to you because they think you are a girl. Don't let your cover slip (or anything else).

I doubt you'll find a good selection in the stores in Mass; you'll probably find the best range available online from Drink Up New York. They have all absinthes mentioned above (apart from Leopold) and quite a few others too.
Diamondgirl
QUOTE(Alan @ May 26 2009, 09:30 AM) *

Diamondgirl, these guys are only being nice to you because they think you are a girl. Don't let your cover slip (or anything else).

I am an old hand at being the rare female on an internet forum; I am an avid gamer, and am used to receiving embarrassingly geeky indecent proposals. You guys can be mean/dirty; I won't cry or run away.

My local package store actually had 6 or 7 (!) kinds of absinthe. I got the Lucid because I couldn't remember offhand whether any of the others were on the highly recommended list.

I am going to rescout the location tonight; if nothing passes the Fee Verte test, I will take your advice and head to Drink Up New York.

Tibro
Welcome, and, uh, just wait until we have the cover of nightfall. You're not afraid of the dark, are you? The real monsters come out at night. Jet fueled.

Kirk, whaddya think? Should we believe her?
Diamondgirl
QUOTE(Tibro @ May 26 2009, 10:37 AM) *

Welcome, and, uh, just wait until we have the cover of nightfall. You're not afraid of the dark, are you? The real monsters come out at night. Jet fueled.

Kirk, whaddya think? Should we believe her?

Hah, *me,* afraid of the dark? evill.gif

Should you believe what? That I am a girl? (considers and rejects various ways to prove stated assertion)
Patlow
Welcome!

Absomphe
QUOTE(Tibro @ May 26 2009, 07:37 AM) *

The real monsters come out at night. Jet fueled.

They rarely find anyone posting here at that time, which makes them very angry, and even hungrier in the daytime. Zombie3.gif
Diamondgirl
Okey dokey. I have been back to Blanchard's, and have discovered tucked between the peach schnapps and the Sambuca;

Lucid
Kubler
Grand Absente - Absinthe Originale
Absente - Absinthe Refined
La Muse Verte
Le Tourment Verte
St. Germain

I believe that means I am off to Drink Up New York.

Also, I am not into buying piles of accessories for something I am not entirely into yet, so I do not have anything in the way of reservoir glasses, absinthe spoons, or special little fountains. I am drinking the Lucid out of a wine glass. I put an old 1920's silverplate sugar sifter on top of the glass, sit an ice cube on it, and let the ice drip into the glass. It seems to work fine. Sometimes I put a sugar cube on with the ice cube. It takes a loooong time, but I don't have anything that I can pour slowly with; I have shaky hands.

Someone please let me know if I am making the Green Fairy cry her sparkly eyeshadow off by doing it that way.
Patlow
Yeah, go to DUNY.

In Paris the water is delicious and ice cold so you can set it to slowly drip out of the tap. Very good lazy way to pour an absinthe. How is your water?
Diamondgirl
My water is actually pretty good. In fact, the faucet has a rather annoying but potentially useful drip, now that you mention it….
Wild Bill Turkey
QUOTE(Diamondgirl @ May 26 2009, 02:34 PM) *

Lucid
Kubler
La Muse Verte
Le Tourment Verte
St. Germain

I put an old 1920's silverplate sugar sifter on top of the glass, sit an ice cube on it, and let the ice drip into the glass. It seems to work fine. Sometimes I put a sugar cube on with the ice cube. It takes a loooong time, but I don't have anything that I can pour slowly with; I have shaky hands.

You're either talking about the St. Germain elderflower liqueur, which is a great boon to humanity, but is not an absinthe-related product, or St. George Absinthe Verte which, in my mind, is also not an absinthe-related product, or a great boon to humanity. Either way I agree, it's off to DUNY with your money.

The ice drip sounds like a very long process indeed, and while I applaud your commitment to doing things right, this degree of patience isn't really necessary. I saw a YouTube video where a couple of kids covered the tops of their glasses with aluminum foil, not taught, but creating a small crater that they poked holes in the bottom of, making their own dripper, or brouille. They put the sugar cube into it and added ice-cold water. Mainly, you just want individual droplets to slap the surface rather than a smooth, even stream. The aggitation helps build the louche.
Diamondgirl
It was definitely St. Germain. It was right next to the absinthes, so I assumed it was one. I stand happily corrected. :) What does elderflower taste like?

Yes, it took me an hour to be able to drink my drink today. Perhaps I will try the tinfoil; that sounds good. Though honestly, sitting the glass in the window and letting it louche for an hour meant that the aroma was wafting around me the whole time, and it was pretty nice.

I can't wait until I can get hold of a really good absinthe!
Wild Bill Turkey
The elderflower liqueur tastes like a blend of lychee fruit and pear, but in fact it contains neither. It became an instant classic the moment it was released, and one of our own, Shabba, just won a national cocktail competition using it in a recipe.
Patlow
AN HOUR!?!?! That can't be cold anymore! Just pour some damned ice-cold water in there and be done with it! Yum, yum, and all that rot…
G&C
Or drop an ice cube in before louching.
Patlow
… even better.
Kirk
After louching .
sardonix
QUOTE(Diamondgirl @ May 26 2009, 05:34 PM) *

Lucid
Kubler
La Muse Verte
Le Tourment Verte
St. Germain

I believe that means I am off to Drink Up New York.

Hello, Diamondgirl. In my humble opinion, Lucid and Kubler are OK absinthes to start with. DUNY is definitely to be recommended for a larger selection. Vieux Carre is my current drink. I also like Obsello, which is a pretty good deal. Hopefully Leopold will be available again. I feel a need to try Pacifique sometime soon from the good word I hear about it. abs-cheers.gif
Diamondgirl
QUOTE(Patlow @ May 26 2009, 09:05 PM) *

AN HOUR!?!?!

biggrin.gif

Yep. I think I inhaled more than I drank.
Provenance
Diamondgirl

You sure do shine

Now show us your tits.
Shabba53
QUOTE(Provenance @ May 27 2009, 10:54 AM) *

Now show us your tits.

He's not kidding. They made me do it too.
Diamondgirl
(.)(.)

EDIT - Looking at DUNY right now. OMG. I have no idea what to even buy first. I have heard such good things about Pacifique, Vieux Carre, and the Delaware Phoenix products, but I am probably not going to purchase $400 worth of liquor right this second. How do you guys pick? With dice? Should I ask Tarot?
Absomphe
My sources say no.

Ask again later.
dakini_painter
Maybe a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors?

Diamondgirl
With myself? Or should I grab a random pedestrian from the sidewalk in front of my house? Luckily, I live in a neighborhood where that would not be considered odd.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Diamondgirl @ May 26 2009, 09:55 AM) *

QUOTE(Alan @ May 26 2009, 09:30 AM) *

I am an old hand at being the rare female on an internet forum; I am an avid gamer, and am used to receiving embarrassingly geeky indecent proposals. You guys can be mean/dirty; I won't cry or run away.

Now you've done it. What gaming system do you have? If you have a PS3 I certainly hope you've played Flower… (sounds right up your alley since you like slow pretty things).

My wife is a gamer too, so no embarrassingly geeky indecent proposals from me. I'll be mean/dirty anyway though, that's what the internet is for.
Diamondgirl
Yes, I know; I have opened the floodgates. Luckily, I live far away from at least most of you. biggrin.gif

No sexxxay PS3 for me; I am on PC. Which I like, because it means I can mod my games.

No, I have not played Flower, actually… I am big into the Elder Scrolls series, have played embarrassing amounts of Diablo: LOD (OMG COWZ PLZ!1!1), and also have played a lot of Dungeons & Dragons style things like Baldur's Gate I & II, Icewind Dale, etc. I have avoided getting sucked into NWN. I have also avoided WoW.

Right now I am replaying Bioshock. It is a pretty sickening game, but I *love* the art and the classic music.
dakini_painter
QUOTE(Diamondgirl @ May 27 2009, 05:49 PM) *

With myself? Or should I grab a random pedestrian from the sidewalk in front of my house?

You never even have to leave the house.

http://www.playrps.com/
http://www.rpsgame.com/
http://www.worldrps.com/
http://www.rpssuperchallenge.com/

Has other humans:
http://www.weebls-stuff.com/games/Rock+Sci…er+Multiplayer/
http://handwar.com/

Some lizards use it in mating selections, so it must be a good method.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock-paper-scissors
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Diamondgirl @ May 27 2009, 06:12 PM) *

I am big into the Elder Scrolls series

Yep, Oblivion was fantastic. I liked how most missions didn't feel redundant and just the vast expanse of the world. The problem was once I got the Umbra sword and invisibility I was pretty much invincible, so the last few hours of the game were a bit too easy.

I have avoided getting sucked into NWN. I have also avoided WoW.

Good for you. I know a guy who is pretty much Cartman from the South Park WoW episode. He spends most of his time earning weapons and selling them and also farming gold. Who wants a game that feels like a job? I'll never play that game, I don't like other people enough to want to have an entire world of real people invade my fantasy world.

Right now I am replaying Bioshock. It is a pretty sickening game, but I *love* the art and the classic music.

Bioshock and Portal are IMO the two best games I've played in the last 10 years (well, OK, Metal Gear Solid IV deserves to be ranked that high too, but you can't play that on a PC so…). There's just so much obvious care put into the design, game-play, story and controls that it makes me want to bow down and worship the creators. If you haven't played Portal stop whatever you're doing right now, get it and play it all the way through.

Out of curiosity the first time through Bioshock, did you save the Little Sister or not?
dakini_painter
I don't like other people enough to want to have an entire world of real people invade my fantasy world.

yes.gif

Kirk
I don't like games enough to give up a few minutes of the real world and play one .
Donnie Darko
They're the real world as much as this is.
G&C
Not quite.
Kirk
He's been playing too long .
Diamondgirl
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ May 28 2009, 07:51 AM) *

I'll never play that game, I don't like other people enough to want to have an entire world of real people invade my fantasy world.

[…]

Out of curiosity the first time through Bioshock, did you save the Little Sister or not?

Hah. AGREED! That's why I love the Elder Scrolls… there is never any chance of other people bothering me. Though that is expected to change in TES V. Diablo II LOD turned into item trolling for me; it ended up being like playing the slots in Vegas and constantly winning just enough to replace what I was spending. So I knew enough NOT to dip a toe in the WoW pit. My MIT buddies are practically like WoW-playing members of the Borg.

I did save the little girls. I wanted to know what Tennenbaum's 'reward' would be. And they are such sweet little chickens. Apart from the corpse-sucking part.

I prefer video games to, say, movies or television. I get to be part of the process in a video game. TV and movies just pour information into one's head.

EDIT - Portal looks too clinical for me. I like the pretty.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Kirk @ May 28 2009, 06:09 AM) *

He's been playing too long .

Indeed.

It's all Evercrack.
Donnie Darko
Agreed on the film/gaming comparisons. Plus it's nice that video games thus far have resisted all the celebrity Hollywood bullshit that goes along with movies. Gabe Newell doesn't have an entourage. Plus you usually get 12-50 hours of entertainment for way less $ than you'd pay for that amount of time going to the movies. Meanwhile a game with a similar budget to a movie will employ double the # of people a film hires for quadruple the amount of time. Gaming is far less elitist than the Hollywood machine.

Of course there are some wonderful films that are fantastic art that no video game can approach, and there are some directors out there who continually awe me with their craft, but honestly if I'm going to spend some time in a make believe world then I'd like to have some influence/control. You get a feeling of accomplishment in games. I don't see how any film can give you that. Yes, there's the image of the bloodshot-eyed fat scruffy guy with no girlfriend who sits on his couch and games all day, and I do know people like that, but I've noticed that a fair amount of the time that supposed "loser" also happens to be the person that a lot of companies want to hire because he's damned good at problem solving. Of course there are also the gamers who sit around all day doing bong rips and who can't hold down a normal job because there's not enough Adderol in the world to cure their ADHD, but hey, at least games give them some amount of joy.

As for Bioshock, I let the little sister die the first time around, as I assumed there would be some trick to the game where if you let them live then they end up destroying the world or something. I played through the 2nd time letting them live though.
Diamondgirl
I don't even have to quote you. Agree, agree, agree on all points.

Since I started playing games (and I mean really beautiful games like Oblivion and Bioshock, I am not talking Minesweeper here), I have had less and less interest in movies. I go to the movies once a year, if that. Watching images just seems so meaningless; I want a hand in what happens.

Though a really well-made movie is still a treat, of course.

Hey, I spent most of Memorial Day out hiking a nature trail with my husband. Yesterday was rainy and cold, and my husband was away at a class, so I spent a couple of hours exploring a drowning Art Deco city full of genetic mutants. What should I have been doing in the real world? Stuffing my face with Pop Tarts and watching reruns of Seinfeld? Organizing my sock drawer? I don't think gaming (in moderation) is any less valid than any other leisure pursuit.

(Disclaimer - I am not accusing anyone on this forum of excessive Pop Tart consumption or of being obsessive about their socks - those are just random examples of what people do on cold, rainy evenings when their spouses are out.)

Back on the topic of absinthe; I tried the tinfoil louche technique mentioned above (somewhere) by Wild Bill Turkey. It worked fine, but it wasn't very pretty. It kind of made my drink look like leftovers.
Patlow
Someone buy the lady a Brouilleur! Or is it Brouilleurs?
Diamondgirl
Sigh. I suppose I must go get a little drippinator.
Patlow
The first one on this page is still my fav. I find I use it much more often than a fountain to make a quick glass. It is actually very pretty in person as well and quite a conversation piece. There is a restaurant in NYC that uses these to serve their absinthe, but I forget which one… I love it! (And get silver polish.)

http://www.absinthespoon.com/absinthe_brouilleurs.html
Diamondgirl
Ooooh, that is pretty! This forum makes my credit card sad. biggrin.gif

Oh, I have silver polish, my friend. Fear not! It is my best friend.
Tirador
What would I recommend … REDUX Absinthe, of course! Oh wait, the guy that makes it hasn't gotten off his rear and gotten it on the market yet … soon though (so he says).

Perhaps I'm a bit biased …

Seriously though, welcome!

My advice on figuring out which Absinthe to choose next is to read a lot, pick a bottle, drink it … read more, pick another, drink it … etc. That way you'll begin to get a taste for what you do and don't like in an Absinthe.

Any of those you've listed would be a good start.

There are a lot of opinions (especially on this forum) as to what is and is not a good Absinthe. Bottom line is, that only you can actually figure out what it is that you like.

Also, I'd stick to distilled rather then macerated Absinthes though. You should also read the reviews section here, and check out a few of the other sites as well.

Good luck … and remember that the only person that can tell you what you like is you. Enjoy.

S.

QUOTE(Diamondgirl @ May 27 2009, 07:12 AM) *

(.)(.)

EDIT - Looking at DUNY right now. OMG. I have no idea what to even buy first. I have heard such good things about Pacifique, Vieux Carre, and the Delaware Phoenix products, but I am probably not going to purchase $400 worth of liquor right this second. How do you guys pick? With dice? Should I ask Tarot?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.