Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trip down Scandinavia lane
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Vintage Absinthe
hartsmar
The sequel - back with a vengeance.

Happy to have found another Danish absinthe it was time to try it. This was about six months ago...

Absinth by Arthur Fich, Copenhagen. circa 1950.

Click to view attachment

Extracting the contents I found that it was a bright blueish green. Reminded a lot of crap like Pere Kermann.
The aroma mostly chemical and candy-like.
The louche, non-existent.
The taste, alcohol and chemical additives.

Click to view attachment

Danes should stick to making beer.

...to be continued...
Gertz
Apparently, my nation's proud contribution to absinthe history is to be among the pioneers of czech-style crap.
absinthist
Any more info as regards the producer? What was he specializing in, when he established that brand and is it authentic since the contents are not what one would await from bot/label?
Patlow
That sucks.

:(

(BTW, can't we get a proper sad face around here, for fuck's sake!?!?!?)
Green Baron
Doracula.gif
G&C
This isn't sad enough for you?
queen_vic2.gif
Patlow
Yes. She works. Thank you!
G&C
You're welcome.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Patlow @ May 31 2009, 09:30 AM) *

Yes. She works.

Hell, no, she didn't.

All she ever did was collect welfare like the all the other royal parasites, and eat like food was goin' outta style.
Patlow
Good point! Just get us a sad face then…
Absinthia
Thanks for sharing this, Hartsmar. I had no idea Denmark ever made some absinthe in the past, albeit something awful. 50 years ago people couldn't sell crap like that for long I suppose, where as nowadays they obviously can…

Evolution. Perhaps Darwin could explain this to me, if he stuck around a bit longer.
hartsmar
QUOTE(absinthist @ May 30 2009, 11:56 AM) *

Any more info as regards the producer? What was he specializing in, when he established that brand and is it authentic since the contents are not what one would await from bot/label?

Just realized I never answered this... Yes, it's authentic. I have no reason to believe otherwise. Cork and seal and everything in absolute perfect condition.

The other information I keep to myself for now.

Edit: And just now realized that I did answer it, in "part 1" of the trip down Scandinavian lane... Oooh boy.
hartsmar
And lookie lookie... A review! Wowsah!

http://www.absinthe.se/absinthe-reviews/vi...h-absinthe-1935

viking_emoticon.gif
absinthion
The eucalyptus taste of the Arthur Fich is really confusing. There are so many questions: Was this taste intended or rather an accident? Did they use some real eucalyptus some oil or essence, or was the tase achieved by some weird herbs or spiritus? And, are the rumours true and the Arthur Fich was secretly designed for the Australian market, targeting Koalas as the main customers?
Absomphe
QUOTE(hartsmar @ Aug 26 2012, 11:23 PM) *

And lookie lookie… A review! Wowsah!

It's comforting to know that, along with death and taxes, your masochism remains the third absolute certainty of existence. harhar.gif
hartsmar
QUOTE(absinthion @ Aug 29 2012, 12:47 PM) *

And, are the rumours true and the Arthur Fich was secretly designed for the Australian market, targeting Koalas as the main customers?

HA!
abs-cheers.gif
thegreenimp
We have a contender with Scandinavia joining Scotland, in having food and drink based on a dare.
Provenance
Fitch sounds like the perfect beverage to go with Surströmming
R3al Caravano
QUOTE(Absinthia @ Jun 3 2009, 02:59 PM) *

Thanks for sharing this, Hartsmar. I had no idea Denmark ever made some absinthe in the past, albeit something awful. 50 years ago people couldn't sell crap like that for long I suppose, where as nowadays they obviously can…

Evolution. Perhaps Darwin could explain this to me, if he stuck around a bit longer.

Well that's easy. There is no higher species on the food chain, so if there is no way biologically or assisted by modern science they will not reproduce. This discounts the other methods of fitness like isolation or lack of local food sourcee, or good taste in booze.
absinthion
In evolutionary terms Danish brands like Bennoh and Arthur Fich are an extincted branch in the ancestral chart of absinthes, as random mutations like eucalyptus note didn't provide a competitive advantage - not even in a protected environment like Danmark.

The only surviving Danish absinthe brand is Kruts Karport. It recently led to a new Danish subspecies: the Esrum Sø absinthe. Only a few exemplaries were spotted in the wild yet. But from previous encounters with that species we can conclude it is very different from the main branches of the absinthe family tree. Also, the Esrum coexists rather harmonically with dill akvavit.

Provenance
QUOTE(absinthion @ Aug 30 2012, 11:09 PM) *
Kruts Karport

I love that stuff. Probably the best absinthe ever made.
absinthion
Kruts Karport was my very first absinthe. They served it in glasses that came directly from the steaming dish washer and the water in the carafe wasn't chilled. Truly an experience to remember.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.