Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Going to make Absinthe Glasses
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthiana & Collectibles
Flasheart
A little over two years ago I met a glass bloser from Nagasaki, and I talked to him about trying to make some Absinthe glasses, since I just can't find any in Japan to buy. I faxed him some pictures and a description in my limited Japanese ability. He tried. He didn't really succeed.

If I did this right I just put a picture of the two glasses he made in this message. If not I have no idea where it just went :)

One of the glasses' resevoir is almost right on 30ml, but nothing else is quite the right size, so he wants to make it while I'm there to tell him what to do I guess. So on Saturday I'm going to Nagasaki and we're going to try. Does anyone have any experience or advice?

I don't know what you'd call this. Free hand glass blowing? No molds. I was also wondeirng about making molds. I could do some in ceramic, but I don't know if that is ever used. There is no was I could ever make metal molds, but I have access to a few different kilns, so if I could manage to make and fire a mold in clay I wonder if it would be usable.

Sorry if my train of though wanders through the hills a little :)
Marc
Can't see the pic, do you have the direct URL ?

Maybe this page could help a little : http://www.oxygenee.com/absinthe/glasses3.html
Tirador
Ceramic molds have been used at least since Roman times to make bottles and glasses … so it might just work. Especially if the guy's a talented glass blower.

I talked to a glass blower friend of mine and he said it wasn't a bad idea.

I don't have much more advice then that though … sorry.

S.
Kirk
Wooden molds were often used but hard to make .
A cast refractory material would be easier to make , even plaster could work for a few dozen runs .
Flasheart
QUOTE(mthuilli @ Jun 8 2009, 07:45 PM) *

Can't see the pic, do you have the direct URL ?

Maybe this page could help a little : http://www.oxygenee.com/absinthe/glasses3.html

I've seen that webpage before, but thanks for pointing it out again! I'd forgotten. As for the pic, I tried to upload it directly into the message from my computer. I don't have it up anywhere else. I don;t know why it failed.
Flasheart
QUOTE(Tirador @ Jun 8 2009, 08:27 PM) *

Ceramic molds have been used at least since Roman times to make bottles and glasses … so it might just work. Especially if the guy's a talented glass blower.

Thanks, I wasn't sure about ceramic. Everywhere I checked just had metal and wood. I'd think wood would burn down a bit evertime you used it. Now we'll just have to see if I can make a mold! :)
Flasheart
QUOTE(Kirk @ Jun 8 2009, 09:41 PM) *

even plaster could work for a few dozen runs .

I never would have guessed that! I would have just thought a plaster cast would crumble away! I've used them for pottery, but I never would have thought you could use them for molten glass! :)
Marc
You can upload the picture from your computer directly here : http://imageshack.us/

Then you just post the url that Imageshack will provide you.
OCvertDe
Chikugo, Fukuoka

Best.
Location.
Evar.
Tirador
QUOTE(OCvertDe @ Jun 9 2009, 04:08 AM) *

Chikugo, Fukuoka

Best.
Location.
Evar.

I don't know if I'd say that … there are a couple places south of there that are far nicer (and more remote) in my opinion. Fukuoka can be pretty cool though.
Flasheart
QUOTE(OCvertDe @ Jun 9 2009, 09:08 PM) *

Best.
Location.
Evar.

You've been to Chikugo? Or to Fukuoka? Fukuoka has some nice places, but Chikugo is fairly boring really :)

Flasheart
Click to view attachment

Yeah! I've got the picture working! I think the last time it was too big.

So these are the first attemp by the glassblower by himself, and hopefully I'll be halping him make something better in a few days!
Wild Bill Turkey
Those look like nice hand-made glasses, and it must be fun for you to see them coming to life from your own request! Since you're asking for reactions, I'll state the obvious: just be sure that the top of the glass will hold at least four times the volume of the reservoir at the bottom.
Flasheart
QUOTE(Wild Bill Turkey @ Jun 9 2009, 11:12 PM) *

Those look like nice hand-made glasses, and it must be fun for you to see them coming to life from your own request! Since you're asking for reactions, I'll state the obvious: just be sure that the top of the glass will hold at least four times the volume of the reservoir at the bottom.

Yep. I also want him to shorten up the foot. I'm hoping the next bunch will be about the same hieght, but with the increased upper size.

I'm really looking forward to going to his place. He uses only recycled glass, and he made his kiln/oven (what ever you call it for a glass blower) by himself. This is gonna be fun!!! I'm probably going to come home with almost no arm hair though I'll bet! :)
Wild Bill Turkey
I don't know about shortening the stem. You don't want to have to cup the reservoir in your hand. The point of having a stem is to help keep the drink cold by giving you another way to hold the glass.
Tirador
QUOTE(Flasheart @ Jun 9 2009, 03:24 AM) *

QUOTE(Tirador @ Jun 8 2009, 08:27 PM) *

Thanks, I wasn't sure about ceramic. Everywhere I checked just had metal and wood. I'd think wood would burn down a bit evertime you used it. Now we'll just have to see if I can make a mold! :)

Here's an article that goes into the various ancient techniques of making glass objects. Its a good read if you're interested, and it does discuss blow-molding.

http://artgallery.yale.edu/pdf/perspect/ancient_glass.pdf

Next, here's a link to a book on Roman Mold Blown glass that you can read on-line. The section beginning on page 45 titled "mold blowing" talks about what you're trying to do and even includes pictures and descriptions of clay molds, plus a section titled "the reproduction of molds", which might lead you in the right direction for what you're thinking of.

http://books.google.com/books?id=8a5acebpR…snum=4#PPA48,M1

Enjoy …

S.
Marc
QUOTE(Wild Bill Turkey @ Jun 9 2009, 04:16 PM) *

I don't know about shortening the stem. You don't want to have to cup the reservoir in your hand. The point of having a stem is to help keep the drink cold by giving you another way to hold the glass.

If he wants them to look like Pontarlier glasses, then they mostly have no stem.
I can't hold any absinthe glass by the stem anyway, the balance is too bad at this point.
OCvertDe
QUOTE(Flasheart @ Jun 9 2009, 09:20 AM) *

QUOTE(OCvertDe @ Jun 9 2009, 09:08 PM) *

Best.
Location.
Evar.

You've been to Chikugo? Or to Fukuoka? Fukuoka has some nice places, but Chikugo is fairly boring really :)

No no no:

My location is listed as "New England". True, but not very original.

Steyr850 listed his location as "Sherman's ashtray". Witty. Original.

Tirador is located "Slaving over an old alambic and a pile of herbs and spices". There's a fresh take.

Absinthist is "Somewhere else". Mildly humorous, but not very helpful.

You on the other hand, are in Chikugo, Fukuoka. I don't think I could tell someone that and keep a straight face, and it's an actual place! It's perfect. Probably not funny at all in Japan, but I'm in the immature, horribly inappropriate US. It'd be like actually living at "69 Lover's Lane". OK, not quite, but hopefully you get the picture.
Kirk
Very thin blown glass is also a sign of quality .
Marc
I agree with Kirk, it's harder to make thin glasses.
I think those are way too thick. I like sturdy glasses though, because of the feeling in hands, but above 400-500g it starts to be annoying.
OCvertDe
I agree with both of you.

This was my line of thought when everyone was raving about the new Simon Pierce reservoir glasses that could double as boat anchors, but my ass still hurts from being bent over the couch for saying so.
Flasheart
QUOTE(OCvertDe @ Jun 10 2009, 04:47 AM) *

No no no:

My location is listed as "New England". True, but not very original.

Steyr850 listed his location as "Sherman's ashtray". Witty. Original.

Tirador is located "Slaving over an old alambic and a pile of herbs and spices". There's a fresh take.

Absinthist is "Somewhere else". Mildly humorous, but not very helpful.

You on the other hand, are in Chikugo, Fukuoka. I don't think I could tell someone that and keep a straight face, and it's an actual place! It's perfect. Probably not funny at all in Japan, but I'm in the immature, horribly inappropriate US. It'd be like actually living at "69 Lover's Lane". OK, not quite, but hopefully you get the picture.

Now I get it! You know it never occured me before. If you read it wrong I guess it could come out as "chick you go fuck you ok eh" possibly. :) I don't think I could tell someone that as my home :)
Flasheart
QUOTE(mthuilli @ Jun 10 2009, 04:35 PM) *

I agree with Kirk, it's harder to make thin glasses.
I think those are way too thick. I like sturdy glasses though, because of the feeling in hands, but above 400-500g it starts to be annoying.

I don't know how thin he can make them. These are a bit on the heavy side, especially the tall one. I think a lot of the heavy feeling comes from the foot. It's a lot thicker than the wall of the glass.
We'll just have to try and see how it turns out.
Flasheart
QUOTE(mthuilli @ Jun 10 2009, 01:47 AM) *

If he wants them to look like Pontarlier glasses, then they mostly have no stem.
I can't hold any absinthe glass by the stem anyway, the balance is too bad at this point.

Actually Pontalier is exactly what I'm thinking. I love the look of the pontalier glasses I can find on the net. If I could find them for sale inside Japan I wouldn't have to go through all this trouble to try and make some, but on the other hand I have a feeling making my own is going to be way more fun! (if we manage)
I also tend to hold my glass near the top too, so a short foot will suit me I think. Maybe we can try several different sizes. Who knows.
Flasheart
QUOTE(Tirador @ Jun 10 2009, 01:10 AM) *

Here's an article that goes into the various ancient techniques of making glass objects. Its a good read if you're interested, and it does discuss blow-molding.

Enjoy …

S.

Thanks! There's no way for me to get a mold ready for Saturday, but hopefully sometime I'll manage.
Tirador
QUOTE(Flasheart @ Jun 9 2009, 05:22 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Yeah! I've got the picture working! I think the last time it was too big.

So these are the first attemp by the glassblower by himself, and hopefully I'll be halping him make something better in a few days!

I like those! I'd drink out of them … of course I'd drink out of most anything that will hold liquid.

S.
Flasheart
Well, I've been to Nagasaki and back, and I'm unsure how things are going to turn out. The glass blower is a hopeless alcoholic who started drinking at 7:30 AM and was passed out by 3. I thought we'd be able to get the glases made, but it didn't turn out that way at all. I did print out pictures for him and I think he has the idea of what I want now, using the pictures, one old glass he made with a good resevoir, and one attempt he made yesterday with a good upper glass size as reference, he says he'll make them for me. I'm not sure if anything will come of it though. Screw it. If he makes something decent, great, but I'm not holding my breathe. So screw it, I'm going to Canada in 3 weeks, anyone know where to buy absinthe glasses?
Kirk
Hold on there cowboy , that's an artist you're talking about .
I'll buy a couple of the rejects. How much does he want for a good one ?
Next time bring his favorite booze with you and ask him to share it with you , after he's done blowing.
Tirador
QUOTE(Kirk @ Jun 15 2009, 04:51 AM) *

Next time bring his favorite booze with you and ask him to share it with you , after he's done blowing.

Well Said Kirk! Well Said.

Like I said, I'd drink out of the glasses he's made already … they don't look like mass produced store bought common Absinthe glasses, but that's part of the charm.

Besides, you're in Japan.

1) Take a good look at what the Japanese potters do, and what is considered the top of their craft. You'll find unique asymetrical pieces …

2) Realize that time and art/craft are both viewed differently in Japan (and much of Asia), then they are in the west.

The glass blower you're dealing with comes from these traditions. He's likely not interested in making a cookie cutter absinthe glass. Rather he'll want to make his interpretation of one … and he'll be in no hurry to do so.

Spend some time with the guy. Bring him a good bottle of gizake, tell him you'd like to ice it down while he works and you'll split it with him when he's done. Ask him about his craft, his history, what types of things he likes … his favorate booze.

Also, remember that the Japanese are waaay into presentos. Bring him a little something (wagashi are always good) just to show him you appreciate his attention.

Just my two cents … Oh, and I went to a Japanese high school (NOT an International School) in Kansai for a year, worked in Japan for several years as an executve at a major U.S. company and studied budo for much of my adult life. I also spent time there as a Marine. While I am no expert on Japanese culture, I have been fortunate enough to have learned to survive and prosper in their world as an outsider.

S.
Grim
…and studied budo for much of my adult life…

Formally, or truly as a way of life?
Flasheart
QUOTE(Kirk @ Jun 15 2009, 09:51 PM) *

His favorite was beer, and he were sharing vodka the night before.
That message was written just after I got home and I was very irritated. I thought we'd have a lot more time to work on getting the glasses right, and it just didn't turn out that way. I'm less irritated now, but still not completely positive. I'm hopeful though. He does make some very wonderful stuff. I'm not sure how much he'll want per glass if more people start wanting them. I'll have to ask. Shipping from Japan will not be cheap of course.

I guess I sounded way too negative when I came home, but I was disapointed and very tired.
Flasheart
OK, latest update time.

The glassblower from Nagasaki has been working from my descriptions, the pictures I gave him, and the previous attempts, and has made a glass. I can't wait to see it first hand, cause I like what I see in the picture! Hopefully I'll be getting a few in my hands before too long.

Click to view attachment
Tibro
That definitely looks like a keeper. Very nice.
Marc
Looks nice, do you have a bigger picture?
Flasheart
QUOTE(Marc @ Oct 26 2009, 05:27 PM) *

Looks nice, do you have a bigger picture?

Unfortunately no, not yet. He sent me this picture with his cell phone. When I can actually get my greedy little paws on it, I'll be sure to take some pictures to send! Empty, with absinthe, and during louche maybe?
absinthist
Yes, please.
Flasheart
I know it's been 7 years, but I have an update on these glasses :) Should I start a new post maybe? :)
Kirk
nah, just post some pics, any glasses available for trade yet?
Flasheart
He's been making a more and more glasses. Recently he came to a crafts show just down the road from me. I didn't even know he'd be there. I was selling neckties I'd made and he came up to my booth. Didn;t even recognize him at first. He brought one of his glasses for me to check out and one the second day I took him my Absinthe glass for him to get a good look at the proportions of the glass and his isn't far off. I got some pictures, I just have to figure out how to post them again. It's been a few years. He's curious if anyone here would be interested in buying them and how much you;d think they're worth. Neither of us have experience shipping things like this internationally so that's something we'll have to figure out.
I'll try and post some pictures in an hour or so.
Flasheart
I hope Imgur works here! :)

Green Hand Blown Absinthe Glass
Green Hand Blown Absinthe Glass higher angle
Green Hand Blown Absinthe Glass next to my glass

Ok, links work. I'd rather stick the actual pictures in the post, but I can't remember how at the moment :)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.