Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Michael Jackson dead ?
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Entertainment
Marc
I'm just hearing the same news again and again but all big websites seem to be dead because of the number of connections so we can't verify…
Steve
LA Times now confirming the report. I read unconfirmed rumors that it was a suicide from sleeping pills. Whatever anyone may have thought about him, I am sorry for him and his family.
eric
Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson on the same day.

RIP to a couple of pop icons.

Marc
Farrah Fawcett too?

Damn!

thegreenimp
Does this mean Macaulay Culkin will get custody of the kids?
Head_prosthesis
Poor Michael. We lost him a long, long, long time ago.
Lord Stanley
First concert I ever saw was Michael Jackson's Victory Tour with all his brothers at Rich Stadium in Buffalo. That was right at the height of Thriller-mania. Too bad his talent had been so overshadowed by lawsuits, financial problems and erratic behavior over the years. There certainly hasn't been a pop culture sensation like him come along since then (although I'll give Madonna an A for effort). He was right up there with Elvis and the Beatles.
Wild Bill Turkey
Yep. He was in that strata. It's a small club.
Tibro
The beer guy? Didn't he die a couple of years ago?
Donnie Darko
I think SC Governor Mark Stanford killed Michael Jackson to shift media attention away from his wayward penis.

In any case though, it's sad he's gone.
Kirk
He did have a certain something.
Patlow
QUOTE(Lord Stanley @ Jun 25 2009, 05:34 PM) *

First concert I ever saw was Michael Jackson's Victory Tour with all his brothers…

Mine too! Vet Stadium Philadelphia. I don't really remember it though.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Kirk @ Jun 26 2009, 10:15 AM) *

He did have a certain something.

Yeah, thank Goddess he wore that mask everywhere, so he wouldn't communicate it to anyone else.
dr_ordinaire
You have to admit that Michael Jackson proved the openness of US society: a poor black boy can grow up and become a rich white woman…

OK, one more and I quit: Burger King is launching the Michael Jackson burger: 50 year old meat in 6 year old buns…

I can't resist: Farrah Fawcett died and went to Heaven. She had been very good, so God granted her a wish.

"Save the children", she asked.

So God killed Michael Jackson…
Kirk
Hah!
eric
Michael was a child at heart.

He liked to Blow Bubbles.

dr_ordinaire
This is off-topic, but is the best nasty joke I've ever heard.

You all know about Princess Di's work against land mines.

What you may not know is what there's in common between Princess Di and land mines.

Easy to lay, messy to remove.
speedle
Jeebus!
Tibro
The real reason for Dr. O's bitterness: he never got a chance to hit the princess?
dr_ordinaire
DISCLAIMER: NO CHILD-MOLESTING POP ARTIST OR VAPID PRINCESSOID WAS HARMED DURING THE PRODUCTION OF THESE JOKES.
Donnie Darko
I still don't think he molested either kid. First, he was acquitted (yeah, I know, so was OJ and he was obviously guilty), and second, both kids had parents that seemed like total gold-diggers. Him settling the first accusation pretty much said to the cancer kid's mom "hey, I'm giving out money if you want to accuse me of anything". The guy was obviously mentally unhinged and an addict, and it seems there wasn't a real person in there anymore, but I don't think he was a child molester.
dr_ordinaire
You know, Donnie, I was going for the quick nasty and witty reply, but I believe you may be right.

What he did, probably, would be considered by the law as child molesting. But it may be that he was, in some way, a kid too. So he was not "abusing" in the sense of a power situation, more like a kid playing with kids. We will never know. He should have been more careful, but that is not an ethical parameter, more a societal one.
Kirk
I believe he was behaving in a way that was consistent with his reality , diseased or not. In either case , he felt like he did no wrong.
speedle
Yes indeed. And for that, I sort of felt sorry for him at the time. Now I'm just trying to escape all the press about him.
Donnie Darko
When I read the news about all this, I can't help but wonder what things are actually like, as opposed to what the news says they are like.

There's something about extremely drawn out public displays of grief that feels incredibly artificial to me. What kind of loss was this to all his fans? I understand why someone would be sad over the passing of someone they idolized and admired. His death is quite sad. But it's not like they knew the guy, and he likely would have tried to avoid meeting them at all costs. He had his own private entrance built at Sony just so he could avoid as much human interaction as possible.

I read some quote where somebody said "Michael would have really loved this memorial for him". Yeah? What famous person doesn't get a nice funeral with lots of people they never met crying because the famous person was a fool who killed themselves? Yeah, it's sad he's gone. But the whole clusterfuck surrounding it, with journalists jumping for glee that they've got several weeks worth of stories out of his death, is even sadder.
Tibro
I was recently told about an innerweb discussion-slash-argument taking place about whether Michael Jackson or Robert McNamara had a more wide-spread and lasting impact on the world. It was pretty one-sided from what I was told.
speedle
I bet. And that's a fookin' sad indictment all by itself. How soon people forget about decisions made by leaders who couldn't, even when their life depended on it (political life that is), think outside the domino box.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Tibro @ Jul 8 2009, 12:14 PM) *

I was recently told about an innerweb discussion-slash-argument taking place about whether Michael Jackson or Robert McNamara had a more wide-spread and lasting impact on the world. It was pretty one-sided from what I was told.

As much as I think MJ's impact is way overblown, in a saner world it would have far overshadowed the enduring legacy of that other aforementioned son of a bitch.
Donnie Darko
You should watch The Fog of War if you haven't already. Best documentary I've ever seen. McNamara was a very wise man, who learned quite a bit from his mistakes. It's pretty intense to see a former secretary of defense cry on camera.

Unfortunately Bush's entire military team saw no value in learning from the experiences of others, and ended up stubbornly repeating some of the same mistakes.

At least Michael Jackson brought a lot of fun and joy into the lives of some people, even though he was a train wreck.
dakini_painter
The NYT writeup on McNamara mentioned that originally they thought they could wrap up the war in Vietnam in a few months. The European nations thought WWI would be over in a few months too. Countless other examples too.

Easy to start war, much harder to end.
speedle
What DD said. Although, I have to say that I think his hindsight should have taught him even more than that, and of course that's how we are stuck in two wars today.
G&C
Not two. One.
One war against terrorists. Fought world wide.
Jaded Prole
And "Terrorist" is a broad enough category that anyone can be put in it from Islamists and Burmese Monks to resentful minorities or striking workers!

(But never your boss or the police of course.)
Provenance
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Jul 8 2009, 09:20 AM) *
I can't help but wonder what things are actually like, as opposed to what the news says they are like.

There's ever a difference?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.