Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Happy Interdependence Day
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > The Newgate Calendar
Pages: 1, 2
Jaded Prole
That's July 5th.

In spite of all the artificial divisions created by nationalisms and politics, we are all very much interdependent on this small planet.

A toast to recognizing that and working toward a more cooperative future. abs-cheers.gif
Wild Bill Turkey
Hell with that.
It's Us versus Them, man. Dog eat God. Every man for himself.
It's time to look out for number One, baby, and let the rest of the world choke on number two.
Love it or leave it. Don't trust anybody over thirty.
Don't mess with Texas. Good fences make good neighbors. Blood is thicker than water.
If you can read this, thank a t-shirt.
Tibro
Interesting to note how a hangover can effect different personalities.
Kirk
I'm running the heat today , it's so cold . What happened to global warming , it's been in the 60's and low 70's here all week.
Absomphe
That's our average temperature for this time of year Kirk.

It's been in about 80 here, and we're all sweatin' bullets.
Jaded Prole
What happened to global warming , it's been in the 60's and low 70's here all week.

Just wait until November!
Kirk
You know , it will be a cold day in hell when we figure out who to burn;
Poor little old hillbilly lady moved from a shabby house trailer a few years ago
said she was old enough now , wanted her turn
in a $40,000 house that was only worth 20.
Borrowed 75K against it right away and never did pay
She bought every trick known to man
After a free year the house was repossessed.
Moved back to the shabby house trailer , to the land she owned
She came out ahead , she said , and I'm inclined to agree
Good thing we didn't bail her out , and now she's dead anyway
Poor money men , what do they say ?
You can have that house for 25K.
Donnie Darko
Money men have a job because money is such a pain in the ass. They also have a job because they make money such a pain in the ass.
OCvertDe
One of these days, I'm going to go through this site and put together The Collected Works of Kirk.

It's going to be damn good.

I bet it would sell.
Kirk
Let me know when you do , we'll add every obscure label I have and some recipes.
Kirk
scary stuff
This stuff is chilling, and true. As I get older and lose my sheen, more and more people like these try and recruit me, they are fooled by the white skin and no hair. I had no idea how many of them there are til I got old, when I had long hair they bit their lip. You should see their face when they spout this crap to me and look up and realize they are not talking to who they thought they were talking to.
How can we take a bunch of ignorant, mayonnaise eating white trash voters, and make them embarrassed to vote for these monsters?
Kirk
this is one mans funny way
Provenance
QUOTE(Kirk @ Jul 10 2009, 05:39 AM) *
ignorant, mayonnaise eating white trash voters

Why are you hating on the Belgians?
Absomphe
Yeah, chill out, and pop open a Friteweiser.
G&C
New Lambic?
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Kirk @ Jul 10 2009, 09:39 AM) *

scary stuff
This stuff is chilling, and true. As I get older and lose my sheen, more and more people like these try and recruit me, they are fooled by the white skin and no hair. I had no idea how many of them there are til I got old, when I had long hair they bit their lip.

I received no shortage of proselytizing from such individuals when I had long hair and a skateboard. The Borg will try to assimilate anyone.

You think The Family is nuts, you should check out the people who go to hispanic store-front type churches that litter Brooklyn and Queens. Iglesia Pentecostal is the usual one. Good luck if you're ever on the subway after one of those churches lets out and the members are on the train. Last week 4 of them swarmed my subway car and were shouting and praying for everybody, tried to feed me a flyer asking if I had "heard the good news". I said it sounded like pretty bad news to me, but it seemed a good handful of people on the train actually were into it. One lady sat next to some sad sack looking fellow and held his hand and prayed a bunch of gibberish with him, mostly just a bunch of incoherent nonsense, but spoken with an extreme air of confidence and authority. I entertained myself by putting Ozzy's Crazy Train on the iPod, basking in the fortuitous appropriateness of that tune.

Of course the difference between that and "The Family" is that the NY Hispanic evangelicals don't seem to have very much if any political clout. They are bat-shit looney though, the worse being those who are into Santeria. One woman a few years back cast some demons out of her daughter by smashing her head in with a hammer. I guess some people just really have an intense need to feel like they have super-powers or are plugged in to some kind of magic.

On face value, apocalyptic desires and magical thinking would normally be viewed as about as mentally healthy as the musings of schizophrenics. But if you make it a religion, why then it's a bastion of morality and goodness. Of course I realize the difference is that schizophrenics cannot function at all in normal life, whereas glossy-eyed born-agains seem at least to be able to hold down a job and raise a family, but I'd love to see an fMRI of each one in their respective states of rapture, and see if there's any real difference.
hobgoblin
They are a strange bunch indeed. I know a few evangelical types, nice enough people and well meaning, but boy do some of them think they're on some sort of duty bound mission to convert people. A lot of them are so entrenched and absorbed in it that half the time they don't even seem to realise they're evangelising. But they're not all like that, some of them do keep it pretty much to themselves unless the topic comes up.
Kirk
The last time the Jehovah's witnesses stopped here, when I opened the door they backed back down my steps with their hands up as if to say, "please don't hurt me, sorry I bothered you". Not sure what they had in mind.
Never saw them again.
Donnie Darko
The flipside is one of my co-workers and his wife are Jehovah's Witnesses. They are some of the genuinely nicest people I've met. We even got drinks at L'Absinthe. Apparently that's permitted, or at least in their interpretation it is. They're also an interracial couple, which ain't exactly common among any religion. Go figure.

If religion stays personal and moderate, even though the ideology may make no sense to me, then I have no problem with it.
Donnie Darko
Since this has become just a general political thread, here's one that got me steamed:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/12/military&….ban/index.html

I think that's really rotten up to tell people whose job it is to shoot and get shot at (ridiculous oversimplification, I know) that they can't have a smoke. I'm no fan of smoking, I'm really happy they banned it in NY bars. But that's just plain mean to tell soldiers they can't have a smoke. If we want to really show genuine concern for the health of people whose job it is to protect us then we should ban cops from eating burgers and donuts. I bet if the French military banned smoking then France would have no army.

If this military smoking ban goes through, I think as a consolation they need to give each soldier their own personal prostitute and a stack of $20 bills.
dakini_painter
DD, given your wonderful experience on the subway, I wonder why people don't go out for the entertainment more.

The subway is wonderful I think. I always pass a buck to the musicians or singers, doesn't matter whether it's mariachi's or gospel.
OCvertDe
QUOTE(hobgoblin @ Jul 11 2009, 03:21 PM) *
A lot of them are so entrenched and absorbed in it that half the time they don't even seem to realise they're evangelising.

This makes me think back to my childhood, of something my father (a devoted, born again Christian of several decades) once said about my great-grandfather, a life long Baptist pastor: that he was so spiritually minded he was no earthly good.
I didn't really get it at the time, but I've been chuckling about it ever since I was a teenager.
hobgoblin
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Jul 12 2009, 01:24 PM) *
I think that's really rotten up to tell people whose job it is to shoot and get shot at (ridiculous oversimplification, I know) that they can't have a smoke.

But smoking increases your risk of dying, unlike, of course, driving a jeep along a dusty track in Helmand province or through Sadr City. Complete lunacy.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(OCvertDe @ Jul 12 2009, 12:35 PM) *

QUOTE(hobgoblin @ Jul 11 2009, 03:21 PM) *
A lot of them are so entrenched and absorbed in it that half the time they don't even seem to realise they're evangelising.

This makes me think back to my childhood, of something my father (a devoted, born again Christian of several decades) once said about my great-grandfather, a life long Baptist pastor: that he was so spiritually minded he was no earthly good.

I love that statement, I'll have to put that in my pocket for future use.

My great-grandparents were missionaries in Angola Africa back when it was a Portuguese colony. They built a hospital, gave out vaccinations, treated illnesses and put in pipes to facilitate running water. Of course I have an Atheist friend who was in the Peace Corps and did the same thing in Gambia. I think they both did some amount of earthly good, but one wasn't shackled by the end goal of converting someone to their personal supernaturalism. My friend who was in the peace corps was also a lot more pleasant to have a conversation with, and you could enjoy a beer with him. If one drank beer in the presence of my great-grandparents you'd receive a hefty condemning comment and then they'd leave.

I say cut out the middle man. Do altruistic things because you're an altruistic person (and because you recognize the mutual interdependence of all people… see, I got the thread back on track), not because some religious third party told you that's how you get to heaven.
hobgoblin
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Jul 12 2009, 08:03 PM) *
If one drank beer in the presence of my great-grandparents you'd receive a hefty condemning comment and then they'd leave.

That's something I've never been able to understand. Why is there such an opposition to alcohol amongst many evangelical Christians? They place so much emphasis on a literal interpretation of scripture, so where is the passage that goes something like, "And Moses spake unto the children of Israel, turn ye away from wine and strong liquor, for the Lord sayeth thou shalt not get shitfaced on booze."?
Donnie Darko
Yeah, you'd think since the guy they're named after prestidigitated wine from water, they might be OK with a little imbibing from time to time. My great grandparents were Seventh Day Adventists though, descended from a doomsday cult originally started by this charlatan named William Miller and assisted by a woman with Temporal Lobe Epilepsy named Ellen White, so they're kind of out in left-field even when compared with other evangelicals. Not quite Mormon or Scientologist, but close.

Not only is alcohol a sin, but so is caffeine, eating meat (some moderate SDAs say that's OK), ear-piercing and chess, according to the rules they made up. Jerking off can cause cancer and will eventually lead to death. I asked one pastor at an SDA church about the wine into water miracle, and he insisted it was actually grape juice, it was just a mistranslation.
Grim
Jerking off can cause cancer and will eventually lead to death.

AAAAaaaw, gawd-dammit…
Wild Bill Turkey
I wondered whatever happened to CG.
Jaded Prole
and Jack Batemaster

RIP
hobgoblin
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Jul 12 2009, 10:46 PM) *
Not only is alcohol a sin, but… chess, according to the rules they made up.

Only chess? Or are draughts and tiddly-winks also sinful?
Jaded Prole
Winks are suspect.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(hobgoblin @ Jul 13 2009, 02:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Jul 12 2009, 10:46 PM) *
Not only is alcohol a sin, but… chess, according to the rules they made up.

Only chess? Or are draughts and tiddly-winks also sinful?

Ha. I think any game which could be gambled upon or has the potential to distract one from the Lord's Goodness is Of The Devil.

She didn't say shit about video games though, so I think Grand Theft Auto IV is OK.
Tibro
But then, you are clearly a sinner, so you would think so.

Thank, uh, thank, hmmm, thank you, Donnie, for that.
dakini_painter
Let me see. I'm slow, so let me work through this.

Gambling is a sin.
If you sin you end up in Hell.
Gambling involves money and risk.

Does this mean that the inventors, backers, users and manipulators of credit-default swaps and mortgage backed "securities" are going to Hell?
Jaded Prole
Starting with the Medici, many loopholes sanctioned by god have been discovered.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(dakini_painter @ Jul 13 2009, 04:11 PM) *

Let me see. I'm slow, so let me work through this.

Gambling is a sin.
If you sin you end up in Hell.
Gambling involves money and risk.

Does this mean that the inventors, backers, users and manipulators of credit-default swaps and mortgage backed "securities" are going to Hell?

I think being an investor, backer and user/manipulator of credit-default swaps and mortgage backed "securities" is already pretty much the same thing as being in hell.

So, to answer your question, yes.
Kirk
Right, cept for the cars, caviar and women.
OCvertDe
Pretty sure that would make all the difference for me.
Tibro
And here I was thinking that all you ever cared about was squirrel shit and wooden tokens.
Provenance
QUOTE(Wild Bill Turkey @ Jul 12 2009, 02:53 PM) *

I wondered whatever happened to CG.

A belated Ha!
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Kirk @ Jul 13 2009, 10:26 PM) *

Right, cept for the cars, caviar and women.

And when those things go away their lives become worthless. Being a slave to such materialism sounds like hell to me. I knew a guy like that, drove a Ferrari (used, he couldn't afford a new one but wanted to look rich), went apeshit over stocks all day, cheated on his wife all the time, nearly drove his company into the ground because of his out-of-control habits of consumption, spends all day lying and sucking up to clients so he can feed his monkey.

I'd rather be an orderly at a mental hospital, it would probably feel more sane.
hobgoblin
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Jul 13 2009, 08:47 PM) *

Ha. I think any game which could be gambled upon or has the potential to distract one from the Lord's Goodness is Of The Devil.

I've just gone a quick google and it seems that they allow marbles.

I guess they allow marbles because its a bit difficult to play with something you've already lost.
Shabba53
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Jul 13 2009, 06:03 PM) *

QUOTE(dakini_painter @ Jul 13 2009, 04:11 PM) *

I think being an investor, backer and user/manipulator of credit-default swaps and mortgage backed "securities" is already pretty much the same thing as being in hell.

Hell no. The people who made those things reaped millions.

Investors got hurt, yes. But she said inventors.

But to answer DP's question: I sure hope so.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(hobgoblin @ Jul 14 2009, 01:26 PM) *

I guess they allow marbles because its a bit difficult to play with something you've already lost.

That's hilarious.

I just found the page you must have discovered from the SDA Encylopedia re-affirming the forbiddance of Chess:
"It cannot be denied that chess, and checkers, &c., do afford discipline to the mind. The man who can play a game of chess or checkers, successfully, has got to think, and think sensibly. Neither are they ever used to any great extent in gambling. But they become so fascinating to the mind that they are apt to take far more time and attention than they are worth. . . . I therefore think they should be discouraged as amusements."

Yes, let's discourage all things that are fascinating to the mind, and lets instead occupy our mind reading the stupefyingly idiotic musings of an epileptic woman talking about how women are the weaker gender and masturbation causes death. That's a FAR better way to occupy one's intellect. I'm surprised I didn't find something in the Adventist Encyclopedia about brandishing women adulterers with the letter A and the burning of witches.

What's equally funny is I remember at the one private religious school I attended that Adventists were pretty fond of criticizing Mormons and Catholics for being silly about their beliefs. Hell, at my dad's church about 5 years ago I remember talking with some ignoramus who thought his children were involved in Satanism because he found a Harry Potter book in their room.
poop.gif
dom_lochet
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Jul 14 2009, 09:30 PM) *
some ignoramus who thought his children were involved in Satanism because he found a Harry Potter book in their room.

He was right. You can invoke Satan if you read it backward.
absinthist
Rettop Yrrah-the forgotten true name of Lucifer! Harry Potter is evil, Voldemort is evil, so Harry Potter is Voldemort! shock.gif
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(dom_lochet @ Jul 15 2009, 02:59 AM) *

QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Jul 14 2009, 09:30 PM) *
some ignoramus who thought his children were involved in Satanism because he found a Harry Potter book in their room.

He was right. You can invoke Satan if you read it backward.

Gosh, that would be boring. The magic as described in Harry Potter is far more interesting and seemingly useful than anything Lucifer can supposedly do as described by the Bible. Talking snake? Puhleeeze. Harry understood Parseltongue (snake language) in Book 2 and then killed the snake. Hell, he killed The Dark Lord at the end of book 7 and he wasn't even 20 years old yet. 2,000 years after Jesus's birth and he still has yet to succeed in defeating The Dark Lord. If we're comparing mythologies I'll take Rowling over King James any day of the week.

Speaking of which I saw the new Potter movie at 4AM this morning in IMAX 3D. No, I was not in costume, nor was my wife. I thought it was fantastic. They had to lob out a few bits from the book just to make it a reasonable movie length, but they picked the right things to toss.

I guess me and the 650 other people who were there are going to hell…
scuto
I don't need no stinkin' wands; I'd rather learn the true names of things, like Ged.

QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Jul 15 2009, 08:53 AM) *
2,000 years after Jesus's birth and he still has yet to succeed in defeating The Dark Lord.

This is fucking funny, I don't care who you are.
OCvertDe
It is funny, but I'm not sure it's relevant.
I'm fairly certain Jesus isn't even trying to defeat the Dark Lord, and may in fact be keeping him around for amusement.
I'm under the distinct impression that God enjoys watching him toy with humanity.
Hell, read the book of Job. What a sick joke that was…
dakini_painter
The web site says more Dark Lord coming, check back later.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.