Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brut d'Alambic,
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe Brands Discussion
sixela
While strolling through the Liqueurs de France website, I see:

http://www.absintheonline.com/acatalog/Kal…s_absinthe.html

It seems to show the importance of branding. Yes, you can get one of the best blanches ever produced for £38 (bottled at 81%, so it's actually more absinthe than that) or you can get Mansinthe for £36 (whose Brut d'Alambic, i.e. the uncoloured distillate, was actually quite good at a tasting last year, better than the coloured product).

I'm utterly flabbergasted that they still have Brut d'Alambic, Essai 4 after two years! I'm tempted to buy one, but I still have three bottles (or rather, earthenware crockery) of different batches.

And to add insult to injury, the HTML title of the page reads "Mansinthe, Buy, Swiss Absinthe". No mention at all for poor Brut d'Alambic…
Steve
That's a very good deal. No extra charge for the aging!
Marc
No comment.
Tibro
Shh.

Shh!

SHH!
absinthist
3rd when compared to 4th is better, yet requires very conservative ratio 1:1-1:2; and it is very tasty neat, I must admit.
Steve
You're nuts if you drink 83.5% alcohol.
absinthist
Do not you know me? I must try everything neat, then louche it if it is absinthe evill.gif And it is just 81.3% harhar.gif
Steve
I know you, but you're still nuts.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Spoon @ Jul 10 2009, 03:35 PM) *

but

You misspelled 'and'.
Jaded Prole
Was there ever any doubt?
Tibro
Never.
absinthist
And you consider yourselves sane? Haha.
Absinthe Ben
QUOTE(sixela @ Jul 10 2009, 07:18 AM) *

While strolling through the Liqueurs de France website, I see:

http://www.absintheonline.com/acatalog/Kal…s_absinthe.html

It seems to show the importance of branding. Yes, you can get one of the best blanches ever produced for £38 (bottled at 81%, so it's actually more absinthe than that) or you can get Mansinthe for £36 (whose Brut d'Alambic, i.e. the uncoloured distillate, was actually quite good at a tasting last year, better than the coloured product).

I'm utterly flabbergasted that they still have Brut d'Alambic, Essai 4 after two years! I'm tempted to buy one, but I still have three bottles (or rather, earthenware crockery) of different batches.

And to add insult to injury, the HTML title of the page reads "Mansinthe, Buy, Swiss Absinthe". No mention at all for poor Brut d'Alambic…

Very observant! You're right, I can't believe they place that much emphasis on brand recognition when most products on that page are superior to Mansinthe. And you're damn right it is one of the best blanches ever produced. Likewise, I also have three bottles, and am on the fence about buying another, but shit, if there's still some left come my fall order, it's pretty likely one is going to find its way into my basket! I also have ver. 2 and 1 and 3 are on the way…truly, I am a happy man at this stage in my life.

QUOTE(Spoon @ Jul 10 2009, 03:23 PM) *

That's a very good deal. No extra charge for the aging!

They have nudged the price up a bit over time. Not that I'm complaining for the stellar quality of this absinthe.

QUOTE(Tibro @ Jul 10 2009, 07:30 PM) *

SHH!

Whoops, er, yes, on second thought this thread needs to be deleted immediately. Can't have those other pesky absinthe drinkers stealin' our remaining bottles…
Absomphe
QUOTE(absinthist @ Jul 11 2009, 01:57 AM) *

And you consider yourselves sane?

Only relatively.
Kirk
They tell me it's highly over rated.
sixela
Batch #1 *was* incredibly overhyped over at the Lounge (and had execrable fennel that make it nearly undrinkable to me).

But my point is that now, several years later, it's not hyped at all and nearly invisible, so how can it be overrated (given it has a rate of zero)?

It's a lot better now than it was in the hyped batches, by the way.
Kirk
I was speaking of being sane.
sixela
Ah - that explains a lot. Yes, that's overrated, at least when I let others define "sane". (I think I'm perfectly sane, but I'm in a minority of one.)
Provenance
QUOTE(sixela @ Jul 9 2009, 11:18 PM) *

They still have marteau. Proof that goth-sinth sells better than wannabegoth-sinth.
Absinthe Ben
QUOTE(sixela @ Jul 12 2009, 10:50 AM) *

Batch #1 *was* incredibly overhyped over at the Lounge (and had execrable fennel that make it nearly undrinkable to me).

But my point is that now, several years later, it's not hyped at all and nearly invisible, so how can it be overrated (given it has a rate of zero)?

It's a lot better now than it was in the hyped batches, by the way.

Got in my bottles and did a side-by-side of 1 and 3. You're absolutely right about version 1, flat, no balance at all.

I'm trying to get a better idea of what it was competing with at the time. Do you know what year the first version was released?
Sleeper
Essai 5 is incredible. I'll post a review soon.
sbmac
I've been working on #5 for a month or so…the bottle is getting low. So fine. The best commercial blanche I've had. It is SO worth ordering this from LDF in quantity to get free shipping, with a few other choices not available in the US.
Provenance
If drinking is work, something is wrong.
G&C
Indeed!
Jaded Prole
I thought it was the best thing Matter ever did.
Absomphe
QUOTE(G&C @ Jul 27 2010, 07:39 AM) *

Indeed!

Green Baron
I liked the samples of 3 & 4 I had. Smelled like freshly tilled dirt in a strange but good way. #5 is on my list to buy at some point.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.