Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So my first glass of Vieux Carre….
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe Brands Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
Mike R.
..was very nice.

From the perspective of a total[u] novice, read with light criticism.

Preparation: La Rochere absinthe glass, dripper, crushed ice and ice cold water with a teaspoon of sugar completely dissolved in the water (could not find cubes).

Added absinthe to glass (45ml or so), placed dripper on glass added crushed ice and water (90/100ml?). Let drip.

While waiting, the show was great. I can not go into educated detail about the coloring or what I was supposed to look for, but there were green swirls all about the glass with a darker green layer on the top. As the glass filled, I figured I have added enough water as soon as the darker green layer on the top disappeared.

The taste was herby and very refreshing. I cannot comment on the specifics, only to say that there were numerous flavors running around, a slight numbing of the tongue, but nothing over the top, and the aftertaste was woody with some anise thrown in.

All in all, I liked it very much and look forward to another glass tonight.

It does make you "comfortable" if you get my drift. Not all out drunk, but relaxed and feeling good. Two glasses? I'm out. I could tell that immediately.

Now I am deciding on another bottle to compare it to.

My short list (from reviews here and at the other forum)?

Walton Waters
Meadow of Love
Roquette 1797
L'Italienne
Obsello

If anyone has any good suggestions of a second bottle that would contrast nicely to the Vieux Carre, please feel free to chime in.

Thanks,

Mike R.

Provenance
QUOTE(Mike R. @ Jul 28 2009, 08:57 AM) *
It does make you "comfortable" if you get my drift.

Well, no, I don't.
speedle
Like after a good dump? That kind of comfortable? evill.gif
Shabba53
That's one of the best kinds of comfortable.
Marc
QUOTE(Mike R. @ Jul 28 2009, 05:57 PM) *

If anyone has any good suggestions of a second bottle that would contrast nicely to the Vieux Carre, please feel free to chime in.

Vieux Pontarlier.
Wild Bill Turkey
But they're both so vieux. Isn't there any fresh, green absinthe?
Steve
Yes, Vieux Pontarlier. And forget the Obsello.
Funky D
Where are you guys finding the VP these days? DUNY has been out of stock for months now…

From one novice to another, I'd add La Clandestine to the list if you're looking for something different. I've found the majority of my friends prefer a blanche to a verte, so you may find more people to share a drink with as well. Unless you don't want to share, of course! evill.gif
Steve
I haven't been able to buy any VP for quite a while. DUNY is out os stock with no ETA, BevMo doesn't carry it, etc. It's still available at the place I got my first bottle, the Jug Shop in San Francisco. I might have to make a cross-town trip this weekend.
Steve
and yes, la Clandestine is a good recommendation.
pierreverte
Vieux Pontarlier can also be purchased on-line in the USA at: Toast
Toast - Wines By Taste - 984B Farmington Ave., West Hartford CT 06107 (860)-236-3515

in California, the best price is at:
Bottle Barn - 3331 “A” INDUSTRIAL DRIVE, SANTA ROSA, CA (707) 528-1161
OCvertDe
God dammit, I was just in West Hartford last weekend! frusty.gif
Patlow
Thanks PV.
Donnie Darko
VP is great. Also highly recommended are Pacifique, both Delaware Phoenix absinthes and Leopold. If you want non-US legal imports, Doubs and L'Italienne are both reasonably priced and great.

I can't find VP or Leopold anywhere on shelves here in NYC though.
Kirk
My last bottle of Pacifique was phenomenal.
G&C
As was mine.
Absomphe
Even more betterer than the first run?
EdouardPerneau
QUOTE(Kirk @ Jul 29 2009, 10:52 AM) *

My last bottle of Pacifique was phenomenal.

really ?
Kirk
Yup.
Jaded Prole
Glad to hear it.
Funky D
I'm getting my first bottle of Pacifique tomorrow. I'm hoping it's as good as the bottles you all speak of. I have the Wizard of Oz and the Dark Side of the Moon all queued up, and if those poppies don't turn green I want my money back.
speedle
You may want to get started on that letter then. Despite the certainty that your bottle will taste great.
eam5171
Any other reviews of this Vieux Carre? I noticed they have it ay my local state store. Is it worth picking up a bottle?
absinthist
It is for three reasons:

1) it is real deal absinthe

2) it is coloured properly

3) it uses the finest herbs out there

Shabba53
QUOTE(eam5171 @ Jan 7 2010, 02:38 PM) *

Any other reviews of this Vieux Carre?

Here are 11 more reviews. Sorry about cross-pollinating.
eam5171
Looks worthy of trying, but I'm going to have to wait as I just ordered three bottles which equals… expensive for a college student.
Provenance
College students should be drinking, not wasting money on tuition.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Shabba53 @ Jan 7 2010, 03:22 PM) *

QUOTE(eam5171 @ Jan 7 2010, 02:38 PM) *

Any other reviews of this Vieux Carre?

Here are 11 more reviews. Sorry about cross-pollinating.

I see it didn't score as high as Marteau, but then nothing has.
Absomphe
Untrue.

Meadow of Love's score is virtually identical, and Pacifique has scored higher than Marteau.
Shabba53
Now now Donnie, there's no reason to lie just to try to disparage the WS. He asked for more reviews. I provided them.
Shabba53
QUOTE(Absomphe @ Jan 7 2010, 04:38 PM) *

Untrue.

Meadow of Love's score is virtually identical, and Pacifique has scored higher than Marteau.

As have 3 others. As would more if we had additional reviews from more members.

I originally gave VC even higher scores, but revised them down a bit as the color is a bit too dark for my taste.

Gary Vaynerchuck of WineLibraryTV seemed to like VC the best of the three we tried. It was a shame the show axed Pacifique, as I'm sure that would have been another star.

RE: my personal reviews, I've scored 4 absinthes above Marteau (still haven't formally scored DP's stuff yet), and another 6 have scored the same.

Marteau also scored in the middle of the pack at the blind tasting, so let's dispense with the inferences that Marteau is given preference, eh?
Absomphe
QUOTE(Shabba53 @ Jan 7 2010, 01:42 PM) *

As have three others.

Actually, including vintage, nine absinthes have outscored Marteau, even.
Tibro
QUOTE(Shabba53 @ Jan 7 2010, 10:42 PM) *

the color is a bit too dark for my taste.

If you mean the actual hue of the absinthe that's just a concomitant accident to the second maceration which is about adding another layer of flavor. But maybe you can taste with your eyes. Which might explain why you're the reviews magus at the temple mount.
Absomphe
Well, that, and the fact that he can afford to taste more examples than the rest of us mired in the hoi polloi.
absinthist
as opposed to the undercoloured ones, it might be too dark, even though it is just au courant.
Shabba53
QUOTE(Tibro @ Jan 7 2010, 04:58 PM) *

Which might explain why you're the reviews magus at the temple mount.

I'm the editor. That means I read the other reviews to make sure they are legit as opposed to company sponsored spam. That's all.

But my assumption is that you already knew that.

My number of reviews is a wholly separate matter and based on availability and committment. I don't think that's something you can really poke fun at.

Tibro
Don't you get some kind of preferred status acknowledgment attached to your reviews?

And if I could taste with my eyes the world would be my limitless smorgasbord.
Shabba53
QUOTE(Tibro @ Jan 7 2010, 04:58 PM) *

which is about adding another layer of flavor.

I know what coloration is about. In fact, I made that same statement about a week ago. However, I also know that even in the FV system, a brand would be penalized for having sea monkeys. My bottle of VC has about a half inch of them. It's an issue that Robert himself has addressed as a concern. So pick at my opinion all you like, but know that it's not a unique one.
Absomphe
"If I could taste with my eyes, the world would be my limitless smorgasbord."

Which only would have made growing up in Buffalo that much more painful. wink.gif
Tibro
Sea monkeys happen. It's a better option than over-aggressive filtration. Proper tasting absinthe seems to happen all too infrequently. A perfect review system will never happen.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Shabba53 @ Jan 7 2010, 02:27 PM) *

However, I also know that even in the FV system, a brand would be penalized for having sea monkeys. My bottle of VC has about a half inch of them.

A modicum of sea monkeys, I don't find offensive, but a half an inch of them is another story.

Perhaps I should view them as the counterpart to a heavily sedimented bottle conditioned beer, but I just can't quite bring myself to do that.
Shabba53
QUOTE(Tibro @ Jan 7 2010, 05:32 PM) *

It's a better option than over-aggressive filtration. Proper tasting absinthe seems to happen all too infrequently. A perfect review system will never happen.

Agreed on all counts.

Have you tried the VC yet, Tibro?
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Shabba53 @ Jan 7 2010, 04:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Absomphe @ Jan 7 2010, 04:38 PM) *

Untrue.

As have 3 others. As would more if we had additional reviews from more members.

How come when I sort by Editor rating from highest to lowest, Marteau is highest? I didn't make that up.
http://www.wormwoodsociety.org/index.php?o…age:1/limit:10/

There's nothing wrong with that, and these days the WS buyer's guide certainly beats the nearly dead buyer's guide here. Just making an observation about something that I found surprising, and is in fact true. I like that WS separates editor and member reviews, which is akin to reviewing systems on other websites, but editor reviews are usually considered to be a more authoritative source, so that's why I sorted by editor review.

I got nothing against VC, I've heard it was good. I tried it at the DUNY party but my palate was already too saturated with Pacifique to give it a fair assessment.
Shabba53
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Jan 7 2010, 05:43 PM) *
How come when I sort by Editor rating from highest to lowest, Marteau is highest?

Ah, sorry Donnie. I didn't realize that, as I never sort that way. But, in either case, I didn't post the editor review for Marteau.

And the default sorting is done by user review, not editor's, since the majority opinion is more important to us. More authoritative? Maybe. I view it more as just a reliable guideline to use in comparison to the rest of the user reviews, which can sometimes vary widely.
Tibro
Democracy at its finest. Let the majority rule, that way they're bound to get what they deserve.

And you're the reviews editor but the Editor's Reviews aren't necessarily yours?

Shabba, I also have to admit that I thought you were originally referencing the Marteau as over-colored. Not that it makes a difference in regard to what I had to say. Applies equally to any verte.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Shabba53 @ Jan 7 2010, 02:47 PM) *

And the default sorting is done by user review, not editor's, since the majority opinion is more important to us.

Bingo.
Shabba53
Oh, woops. I guess I wasn't very clear on that point. Sorry about that, Tibro. Yes, I meant the VC.
EdouardPerneau
I would get back on the sea monkey case … the best advice I could give is to let settle for a longer time in vat before bottleling as the pre-ban producer were doing it
Shabba53
QUOTE(Tibro @ Jan 7 2010, 05:47 PM) *
And you're the reviews editor but the Editor's Reviews aren't necessarily yours?

Correct. There is a group of about 5 people who, when they post a review, it will be categorized as the 'editor's review'. This group is regularly reviewed based on participation and quality of reviews, and is added to or subtracted from based on group concensus.

ORiginally, the term was set as 'expert's review', but we found that to be a bit ostentatious, so it was recommended to be reverted back to what it is now until we can find a better term.
Tibro
Well, you could just call it the "Ostentatious Review". But perhaps that's too obvious. You seem to prefer blurring over clarity as far as singling out one review for ostentatious display. Whatever trips your trigger. That review site is not for me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.