Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rzeszów 1st Wine Fair
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > The Cellar
Pages: 1, 2
absinthist
15 participants from abroad (Amirani, Domaine Menada, etc) and 2 from Poland: wines, accessories, etc, brandies, ecological food, genuine honey, etc, etc. Organized by my local supermarket "Jedynka". There were wines from Bulgaria, Montenegro, France, Italy, Georgia, Spain, Poland (but served under the counter, just like my specialties evill.gif ), really good selection and once you leave the tent you could buy them for half of their regular price in "Jedynka".

Particularly interesting were wines from Georgia-Amirani line, Transylvannian "Vampire" brand, Montenegro's "Vranac"-the best wine of the Fair, "Chacha"-Georgian marc, but man, oh man, so beautifully rectified that at first I thought it was pure grape brandy, not a single burnt™ characteristics.

Absinthe using that base would have a nice perfume instead of the stench we meet in Jadesinthes or Belle Amie #2. Georgia makes decent cognacs, too. Spain had a nice selection of organic wines, we could compare regular rioja with organic rioja, unbelievable difference.

Everything was organized in a huge tent, you pay the fee (2zł, so really nothing) and you take the glass and make rounds. I have acquainted with many people during the first two days, at first I was sharing only my gin (the next day I had to bring another bottle harhar.gif and traded some plus another of my Zubrówka for vintage Georgian wines) and vintage Stock brandy 1970. Yesterday I had on me: gin, Żubrówka, Liqueur de Faivre, two benedictines (one I made in 2006), my aged slivovitz, Espoir de la Pologne (my new liqueur following 1864 recipe) and was tasting everything they were pouring me, not only wines hehe. Some time later I was helping the Amirani guys selling their wines as well as encouraging the coming people (young and old, around 6 pm the tent was a bit crowded) to try the chateau wines at another stall.

Friendly atmosphere, lots of new tastes, everyone was happy, from the non-wine range, there were Bulgarian plum "wine", lychee "wine" (yuck, too fuckin' sweet) or "schoko chilli"-smells of chocolate, tastes of red wine, finish is chilli, really weird, but appropriate for ladies, German make.

Some pics-mostly from the 2nd day, although the 3rd one was the greatest:

http://picasaweb.google.pl/tanacetum546/TargiWinRzeszow09#

In a year, we should meet again. In fact, it was very Boveresse akin.
Alan
Boggy, you can't keep on about what is real absinthe and what isn't, and then say:-
QUOTE(absinthist @ Sep 28 2009, 05:27 AM) *
Georgia makes decent cognacs, too.

Georgia may make good brandy, but unless this refers to a woman who works in the Cognac area of France, Georgia doesn't make ANY cognac.
absinthist
Was just pulling your leg, friend, trying to figure out who spots it the first, and we have a winner! Fanfares for Alan! But you know, it is nice to play Devil's Advocate and wait for the reaction.

Obviously, Georgia (and especially the company in question "Eniseli Bagrationi") makes brandy, even on their labels, we can clearly read "Georgian wine brandy".
absinthist
Have forgotten to add:

http://picasaweb.google.com/tanacetum546/Targi1szyDzien#

Rzeszów 2nd Wine Fair.
Stroller
You hangin' with the profiteers????
absinthist
All the wines I have been given via trade. No secrets, no looking down at you. People in the wine industry are really nice and friendly. We have had Georgian XO brandy they weren't supposed to open.

I am hanging out with friends that share.
hartsmar
QUOTE(absinthist @ Sep 28 2009, 07:30 AM) *
Was just pulling your leg, friend, trying to figure out who spots it the first, and we have a winner! Fanfares for Alan! But you know, it is nice to play Devil's Advocate and wait for the reaction.

Yeah, ok... Even my daughters know that "come back" doesn't fly anymore...
Sheesh.

QUOTE(Stroller @ Oct 17 2010, 08:44 AM) *

You hangin' with the profiteers????

Nah, if they share (and don't spit what they're given) they're Artists... I'm sure none of them really wants to make money if they just didn't have to.
absinthist
They do not spit, they are civilized. It is Poland, after all, not some bushland.

All wines sold during the Fair were 50% off and still some of them are offerred for half a price. They are just bringing the good wines all over Poland-that's all.
Tibro
You sharing your rose hips with 'em, sweet tart?
absinthist
From now on be sure I won't share anything you will beg to do.
Tibro
I have to guess at unraveling your grammar, but I think I should beg you to keep posting.
absinthist
Nothing more. Skrew you.

And I don't remember your hole hosting any wine or whatever fair.
Tibro
Um, your "wine fair" is a tent in the parking lot of the local supermarket?
Stroller
A tent where they swallow instead of spit.
absinthist
QUOTE(Tibro @ Oct 17 2010, 11:05 AM) *

Um, your "wine fair" is a tent in the parking lot of the local supermarket?

At least we have a supermarket, barnboy.
Tibro
Q: What's the difference between a Polish "wine fair" and a supermarket promotion?

A: Nothing.

I hope the paper napkins for dabbing the corners of your mouth were on sale.
absinthist
Supermarket promotion is inside the supermarket. The Wine Fair was connected with degustation, eating, regional products, various craft presentations, music, fire dancing, fireworks and more. I know, you do not have such attractions and these make you jealous, but at least do not comment on something you have not been a part of.
Tibro
…because what's a wine fair without fire dancing?
absinthist
Just a part of it. 22 producers were represented, each having 6 wines and more for tasting. 1/3 of them you won't find in your village "shop".
sixela
Give Boggy a break. It's perfectly possible to have a wine fair in Poland. (Of course, it's ludicrous to make some of the comparisons he makes, but that's a different point --and thread.)
hartsmar
QUOTE(absinthist @ Oct 17 2010, 10:56 AM) *

Skrew you.

That's "Screw" to you, Mr. wink.gif
Absomphe
You can take the boy out of Communism, but…
Jaded Prole
. . .
Oxygenee
QUOTE(absinthist @ Oct 17 2010, 10:31 PM) *

Supermarket promotion is inside the supermarket. The Wine Fair was connected with ….. fire dancing, fireworks and more.

Note to self: Ask "when does the fire dancing start?" at every wine fair I attend from now on.
G&C
Sounds more like a kegger I went to about 35 years ago, than a wine tasting.
Donnie Darko
I don't know. Any wine tasting that features Dracula wine from Transylvania sounds pretty serious to me. Especially if each bottle were to come with the latest installment of Twilight and was autographed by Kristen Stewart.
absinthist
http://www.brandchannel.com/features_profile.asp?pr_id=359

both Vampire red Feteasce Negra and Vampire Feteasca Alba white are excellent wines for a reasonable price. The connotation and allure are free. And they are available in the US/Canada: http://orient.bowdoin.edu/orient/article.p…tion=4&id=4
Phoenix
Will it age in it's bottle?
hartsmar
It's undead, what do you think?
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(absinthist @ Oct 19 2010, 02:59 AM) *

both Vampire red Feteasce Negra and Vampire Feteasca Alba white are excellent wines for a reasonable price. The connotation and allure are free. And they are available in the US/Canada: http://orient.bowdoin.edu/orient/article.p…tion=4&id=4

Well, if a College kid at Bowdoin says it's the shit, then who can argue with that?

Come on Boggy. Transylvania Vampire wine released in time for Halloween? Think of how apeshit we'd go if there was an absinthe called Vampire absinthe from Transylvania released just in time for Halloween. Exactly zero of us would take it seriously, and it's obviously not intended for even half-serious wine enthusiasts. Just because it has alcohol in it doesn't mean it's good. What's also confusing is you said they were from Transylvania, but the link for the wine you posted is from some vineyard in California.

And I'll tell you something. I've actually tasted that Vampire wine, as it was actually released "in time for halloween" several years ago. I ordered a glass at Hi-Fi bar in the East Village 3 years ago as a joke, my friend who is the bartender dared me, as he thought it was good. The initial taste surprised me, as I expected it would be akin to manischewitz or Carlo Rossi. It was actually fairly fruity sweet, and at least better than those two. The problem was that it was so nauseatingly cloyingly sweet that it tasted like somebody had added red jelly beans to it. There was actually no taste of "grapes" in it that I could detect at all, and it had a horrific aftertaste, alcoholic and chemical, as if vodka had been added rather than due to natural fermentation. I didn't finish the glass, and my wife couldn't finish the half-full glass I gave her either, whose idea of a great wine is those screw top Rieslings that are $10. My wife made fun of me for even taking a chance on some shit in a bottle with blood dripping off the name called Vampire, and she was right. It was stupid of me to waste $6 on the glass.

I'm glad you had a great time at the wine fair, but you can't be surprised that we're reacting to the whole thing as if it were just a boozy frat party when you enthusiastically post that Vampire Wine was one of the "Featured" wines. And hey, there's nothing wrong with a fun stinking drunk party, but don't be surprised that we aren't interested.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Phoenix @ Oct 19 2010, 02:19 AM) *

The real question is, will it age in its bottle.
hartsmar
QUOTE(Absomphe @ Oct 19 2010, 04:57 AM) *

The real question is, will it age in Tits' bottle.

Tibro
Tits' bots are ageless.
absinthist
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Oct 19 2010, 03:25 AM) *

I'm glad you had a great time at the wine fair, but you can't be surprised that we're reacting to the whole thing as if it were just a boozy frat party when you enthusiastically post that Vampire Wine was one of the "Featured" wines.

No offense. That's all I found by doing a search. Both of the Vampire wines that are available here and now are from the 2007 vintage and so they're not going to be found on that website. Have you had either of these? I can put an image of the labels up. Or maybe it was a completely different Vampire (wine)?
Grim
QUOTE(absinthist @ Oct 19 2010, 09:06 AM) *

No offense. That's all I found by doing a search. Both of the Vampire wines that are available here and now are from the 2007 vintage and so they're not going to be found on that website. Have you had either of these? I can put an image of the labels up. Or maybe it was a completely different Vampire (wine)?

Tibro
That's a mighty big project to start.
absinthist
Just a quick look so as not to get confused:

Feteasca Negra variety's label is black, the rest is the same.
absinthist
QUOTE(Phoenix @ Oct 19 2010, 01:19 AM) *

Yes, because it is wine. I have opened Red some time ago to accompany the meal-delicious and White one is still in my cellar.
Stroller
Are you worried the children will get into the White one?
absinthist
When they appear they will be introduced to all the wines and spirits step by step.
Artemis
There's nothing wrong with the fire dancing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsQiH6mqcZQ

except for the crappy music.

Imagine it choreographed for and replaced with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LupmmElMoI
Oxygenee
What I'm thinking, quite seriously, is why I should tolerate this fascist pig on my forum any longer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPsjkj2MkTI…feature=related
eric
Fascism really does suck.
sixela
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Oct 19 2010, 08:28 PM) *

What I'm thinking, quite seriously, is why I should tolerate this fascist pig on my forum any longer.

Because he can't spell "Giovinezza"?

Because someone might say "if you join this party, this guy will come and sing along with you"?

Because you value freedom of expression, even for the comically incorrect?
Oxygenee
There are lots of neo-Nazi and fascist websites and forums, why should I allow this type of racist scum to post on the one I host?
Tibro
The comic aspect wore thin a long time ago.

Fascism is never in fashion. Dictatorial rule is for dicks.

But I don't suspect everyone will complain.

QUOTE(Shabba53 @ Nov 24 2008, 08:49 PM) *

And why is that? People can run a forum however they so choose. Hypocritical or not. It doesn't matter. They pay the bills, not you. As Donnie just said, change the channel if you don't like the program. I'm not here to defend or disparage any of the forums, but I find it funny that someone who joins an online forum thinks they have a say as to how its run. It totally depends on who's running it. If you don't like it, tuff titty. It is what it is.

Artemis
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Oct 19 2010, 08:03 PM) *
There are lots of neo-Nazi and fascist websites and forums, why should I allow this type of racist scum to post on the one I host?

Are you seriously asking for input on this, or is it a rhetorical question?
Oxygenee
QUOTE(Artemis @ Oct 19 2010, 11:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Oct 19 2010, 08:03 PM) *

Are you seriously asking for input on this, or is it a rhetorical question?

I'm always interested in what you have to say on pretty much any topic, Artemis.
Jaded Prole
As a life-long anti-fascist, I think while Boggy regularly posts all kinds of inane BS, he has rarely if ever posted any really hateful fascist crap and this isn't H5.

On the other hand, you probably won't get many objections and as many warnings as he's had no one can say you aren't the most patient and kind internet despot around.
Artemis
Thank you Oxy, I appreciate that consideration.

I would say that IF there was a rule against expressing fascist views on this forum and IF he had violated that rule it would be clear cut.

As it is, it's not so clear cut.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.