Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Edward III New York Absinthe
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe Brands Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Steve
Another new American absinthe I hadn't heard of goes on presale at DUNY.

I see it's mentioned in Alan's list on his blog.

Anyone know anything else about it?
Provenance
It's from Tuthilltown Spirits. The label says "Manhattan Absinthe" not New York Absinthe. According to TTB,

"THE LONG, STORIED HISTORY OF ABSINTHE BEGAN IN THE LATE EIGHTEENTH CENTURY, AMIDST THE QUIET HILLS OF VAL-DE-TRAVERS SWITZERLAND. AS ABSINTHE'S POPULARITY GREW SO DID ITS NOTORIETY, AND ITS ASSOCIATION WITH THE NINETEENTH CENTURY'S MOST CELEBRATED ARTISTS. AFTER ALMOST ONE-HUNDRED YEARS OF PROHIBITION WE ARE PROUD TO INTRODUCE AN AUTHENTIC "LA BLEUE" STYLE ABSINTHE, MADE USING THE SAME METHODS AND HERBS AS THE FINEST ABSINTHES PRODUCED DURING THE BELLE ÉPOQUE. DEVELOPED BY EDWARD III AND HANDCRAFTED IN COPPER POT STILLS AT TUTHILLTOWN SPIRITS IN NEW YORK’S HUDSON VALLEY, EACH INDIVIDUALLY NUMBERED BOTTLE IS MADE FROM SMALL BATCHES WITH THE FINEST HERBS AND SPICES. ENJOY THIS ARTISANAL SPIRIT RESPONSIBLY, WITH A DASH OF ICE AND THREE PARTS ICE COLD WATER FOR THE MOST TRADITIONAL EXPERIENCE."
absinthist
Have you tried it, Pro?
Provenance
Nope but I may. I've heard good reports on their distilling skills.
Steve
The label at DUNY says "New York Absinthe" not Manhattan.
IPB Image
Absomphe
"Mark is involved with a company that makes non-toxic, green cleaning products."

This is certainly comforting news, if this product turns out to be sink worthy.
Provenance
QUOTE(Steve @ Oct 9 2009, 11:23 AM) *

The label at DUNY says "New York Absinthe" not Manhattan.

True, but the bottle says Manhattan.

IPB Image
Tibro
QUOTE(Provenance @ Oct 9 2009, 08:49 PM) *

It's from Tuthilltown Spirits.

Is this their product proper or someone renting time on their still and license? What I read made me think the latter.
Provenance
Good question. I don't know. I'm also not sure whether the bottle pictured has the actual label or a mock-up. In that the bottle appears to be empty, it could be the latter. Maybe Manhattan was changed to New York for the production run.
kaseijin
A dash of ice?
kaseijin
Oh, also:

Using the facilities of a New York distillery, the creators were able to bring their ideas to life.

That (from the DUNY email) makes me think that they're likely renting space, as well.
Provenance
I can think of people who could make excellent use of those facilities. Of course, I doubt any of them would name an absinthe Edward III.
kaseijin
A quick Google search for Edward Jahn in NY, NY turns up a "Model Mayhem" photographer profile, and a portfolio site for a musician/installation artist who does murals and video art at trendy (bottle service starting at $100) nightclubs. He does good photography, but I still catch an undercurrent of trust fund.

Make of that what you will - it's probably entirely irrelevant.
Patlow
I'm as fake as a wedding cake
And I'm vague and I know that I'm homopolitan
Pitifully predictable
Correctly political
I'm the new, I'm the new, new model…

--M.M. (And he made a real one.)
Funky D
Edouard who? Oh, wait… nevermind.
John Q.
QUOTE(Provenance @ Oct 9 2009, 03:21 PM) *

Nope but I may. I've heard good reports on their distilling skills.

I've had their Baby Bourbon and enjoyed it
enough to want to try their other whiskies.
I have an unopened bottle of the Single Malt
from 2007 first batch that I've been itching
to open.

I would definitely put their Absinthe on my
"taste test" list.
Steyr850
I corresponded with him twice via email over the past couple of years and he indicated they really wanted to make an absinthe but were really busy with bourbon.
Donnie Darko
They're good people up there. Don't know if it's Tuthilltown's absinthe or just a rental though.
Shabba53
I'll find out today. We're going to meet up for drinks. I'll report back.
Grim
We're going to have dinner! HA!

You're funny.

Remember this guy?

He came to Tuthilltown with this project. As I'm aware they only did a few batches from 5 gallon macerates for him.
Tibro
Shabbla is a man of his word.

QUOTE(Shabba53 @ Mar 11 2009, 09:16 PM) *

This was fun. We should do it more often.

absinthist
So, that's the cocainesinthe. Cool. Absinthe in America is hitting the ground.
Shabba53
Apparently they rent out the still. It will be called New York Absinthe. The TTB made them change it.

It's actually pretty good. Martin Lake and I tried it today at Kamal's place. Pretty traditional in profile. I'm going to reserve my formal review for when I get some of the final product, as what we tried today was a trial run.

He had nice things to say about you Grim, but not very nice things to say about the reception he got from FV. evill.gif
G&C
It's a tough crowd here.

A hard venue to play, as it were.
Kirk
Breaks my mother fucking heart.

And Kamal can suck a big bag of dicks.
Shabba53
I guess you know more about the Kamal situation than many people here? An interesting development to say the least.

As for Edward, I don't think he plays well with others. But hey, not like there aren't any of those 'round these parts.
Kirk
You should know.

Fuck you, I'm a small clique within a small clique
Kirk
Everyone pays rent these days
it's a world of rent seeking bitches
and Pimp is dead
Kirk
What? The way you all act, you'd think you have more to lose than me
bunch of pussy footing rent seeking bastards
I hate you all, no one loses more than me
wait I forgot to say
I hate you all
'cept for you man, you know I love you.
Kirk
seriously
Bro

Kill the landlord
Kirk
I saw a virtual city the other day, some lady in china made it nice
I was wondering if I could just buy a hammer there,
a pair of scissors and a motherfucking
vice.
Kirk
This is it for me
I'm all out, I saw a landlord here complaining years ago, (read: Hiram) about people coming to the absinthe well with their money dipper, called it a sin
I showed up with a silver one
and threw the damn thing in.
dakini_painter
QUOTE(Shabba53 @ Oct 15 2009, 11:24 PM) *

I guess you know more about the Kamal situation than many people here? An interesting development to say the least.

Kirk and I are good friends. Kirk, for some inexplicable reason that's beyond me, seems to have taken a strong liking to my absinthes. So it was a huge WTF? when DUNY dropped my absinthes from their site. So he's taken a bit of a dislike to DUNY and it's ownership. To read anything else into it is to not know Kirk.

Sounds too like there's a bit of a problem down in the holler there that's making him a bit more ticked off than usual.
Absomphe
"Kill the landlord."

Big black dog.

Do he bite?
Leopold
K-I-L-L my Land-Lord.

Ah, memories.
Kirk
He was a true poet, back in the day, I wonder who wrote his stuff?
Kirk
I've been ordering your Leopold absinthe here in Virginia, every month for a year and still have not got a bottle. The State runs the stores here, it's worse than waiting in line at the D.M.V. , lazy, mouth breathing bored state employees, cursing every time another customer dares to walk in.
Leopold
We've pushed, pulled, pleaded, and done everything we could to keep their act together, Kirk.

They have paperwork on every single spirit we make. You can technically order anything we make.

Technically.

Don't really know what else to do. Best Cellars in DC is your best bet, and I'm sorry that it's this much of a pain in the ass to get a simple bottle of spirits.
Patlow
QUOTE(Kirk @ Oct 16 2009, 09:01 AM) *

I've been ordering your Leopold absinthe here in Virginia, every month for a year and still have not got a bottle. The State runs the stores here, it's worse than waiting in line at the D.M.V. , lazy, mouth breathing bored state employees, cursing every time another customer dares to walk in.

I deal with the same thing in PA. The last time I asked a cashier for a bottle of VC he asked if I "could come back tomorrow" because it was in a locked cabinet. I said, "No." He then went and unlocked it and gave it to me with massive series of sighs and exaggerated slow movements. He just didn't want to walk the THREE FEET to do it.
Leopold
Ok, that tops my story.

I don't think that taxpayers understand just how much tax revenue is left on the table on a daily basis at these State run stores.
Kirk
Yeah, you are on the list, they're proud of the fact that they could get anything for you, if they felt like it. It's not just your stuff, if it's not on the shelf with the predictable offerings they stock, you might as well piss up a rope has hope they'll bother getting it for you.
I upped the ante to a full case, hoping it would arouse some sort of survival or profit instinct in them but it's just not in their best interest to bother with a customer.
Jaded Prole
I've been trying to get Pacifique, Voyager and Vieux Carre in the shelves here. Until it's "in the book" you can't even special order it and that takes at least a year if they bother (which as Kirk points out, they don't).

It looks like the Evangelist Repug is going to be our next Governor. While he generally sucks, he does want to privatize liquor sales. I hope he gets that through and we get real liquor stores!
Leopold
QUOTE(Jaded Prole @ Oct 16 2009, 12:53 PM) *

While he generally sucks, he does want to privatize liquor sales. I hope he gets that through and we get real liquor stores!

You, and a whole mess of wholesalers and distillers.
Fizzle
FWIW, Leopold's absinthe is on the shelves in Richmond's stores.
Steve
QUOTE(Grim @ Oct 15 2009, 09:05 AM) *

Remember this guy?

He came to Tuthilltown with this project. As I'm aware they only did a few batches from 5 gallon macerates for him.

Shit. I actually thought about that guy when I first saw this stuff go up on DUNY but for some reason I said to myself, "nah, couldn't be". I ordered a bottle, now it's "processing, can't be cancelled". I guess I'll see if it's as good as the dilute spooge in the dirty glass on the meth-residue table from his stupid photo.
Patlow
That just gave me a good giggle. Thanks, Steve!
absinthist
Cocaine, it is all about cocaine.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Leopold @ Oct 16 2009, 09:51 AM) *

C-I-L-L my Land-Lord.

Ah, memories.

Memories adjusted. wink.gif
Grim
Shit. I actually thought about that guy when I first saw this stuff go up on DUNY… I guess I'll see if it's as good as the dilute spooge in the dirty glass on the meth-residue table from his stupid photo.

I know too much about the process to be objective. But I heard Shabba tried it (with Mark, not Edward).

Joel and Liam of Tuthilltown are kindred spirits… I love those guys. I know for a fact that Joel wants to make amazing spirits… but this is not truly his or their project. Edward brought the macerate in, and the rest is what it is. Certainly not something so serious or purposeful as what Z, daikini or Todd do.
absinthist
Thus, is it absinthe or not? Your word, Grimmy should give us a hint, should not it? Following the rules that had been set many years ago.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.