Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Good news for Jade fans
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe Brands Discussion
Steve
Luc from Vert d'Absinthe announced on twitter and facebook that the entire range of Jade absinthes will be available in France from the end of November. The three that have been recently missing - Edouard, Verte Suisse, and PF1901 - will again be available.
Green Baron
That's great, I'm glad they're not gone. Too bad they're way outta my budget right now tho.
speedle
Still, sweet jesus I'm happy!
Ron
Pretty great news. I'll be ready to buy as soon as possible.
Tibro
Yeah, I was kind of hoping the news was going to read that they're back and now competitively priced for today's competitive market and floundering economy. I guess the question now is will you be paying the same for a quality that's not the same as it used to be?
Provenance
In that the dollar has tanked, I doubt anything imported from Europe can be competitively priced.
kaseijin
As much as I do love and appreciate the Jades, I'll be passing on this. The dollar is weak, we've had to take temporary pay cuts at work, and they'd be expensive even in a good economy.

Plus, as Tibro suggested (at least how I read it): The Jade line used to be a good value primarily by being head and shoulders above every other offering out there, and by a fairly substantial margin. They're still the top of the crop, but that once-huge gap has been dramatically narrowed. I can pay out the arse for some Jade Edouard, or I can pay substantially less for a damn fine domestic bottle of DP.

Me, my money will stay in the US this time around.

EDIT>> For what it's worth, too… These days, I just *feel* better about supporting a venture like Leopold or DP. It's impossible and asinine to not recognize the impact that Ted has had with the Jade line and with Lucid - were it not largely for his efforts, we'd all still be ordering from LdF or, dog forbid, Bettina. And one also has to recognize that Ted is a *very* busy man these days, but Leopold and Dakini have done a much better job lately of maintaining a friendly and outgoing presence around here and other forums -- and that right there is good marketing. Purchasing their products feels like you're helping a friend, whether you know them personally or not.
Absomphe
What he said.
Steve
I still really like all of the Jades, and I will always keep a couple (at least) around. Also I like and respect Ted, and give him huge props for what he's done. If you think the absinthe world would be anything like it is today without Ted, I think you're very wrong.
Tibro
I think you're very right.

For what it's worth.
kaseijin
QUOTE(Steve @ Oct 23 2009, 10:08 AM) *
[…]huge props for what he's done. If you think the absinthe world would be anything like it is today without Ted, I think you're very wrong.

Oh…I certainly can't argue that, which is essentially what I was attempting to articulate above – sorry if I muddled the point. Ted's impact has been enormous, and his work both in his own facilities and at Combier have awakened people to what a quality absinthe can be, educated vast numbers of people about the science of the drink, and set the bar very high for commercial offerings…all things that have pushed absinthe worldwide further than I really ever thought I'd see it go. Dude's a freakin' dynamo, and no matter which way you slice it he's deserving of mad props.

The point, though, is that -- as it stands today -- these are European offerings priced at a luxury price point for a European market. Shipping costs suck. Currency exchange rates suck.

There was a time when I happily ordered Jade from LdF. In fact, I basically sustained myself by nursing a few bottles while I was in a long-term buying hiatus. But the presence of a quality product like Jade in the market, and Ted's efforts to bring legal absinthe to the US has resulted in some very quality domestic product. When there was nothing else in the market that even compared, $150 bucks plus shipping for a bottle of Jade was an exorbitant treat, but it was worth it.

These days, I can pay that $150 or I can pay less than half of that for a bottle that is very nearly as good. (Some would even say better - though I still give the edge to Jade here). Additionally, most people in the US would not have to worry with the possibility of a package seizure (I happen to live in ass-backwards Texas, so I still have to rely on kindly friends to send me bottles).

This combination just makes it a bad value (for me, at any rate, YMMV) to purchase top-shelf, Euro-market absinthe. Should the entire Jade line be fully realized in the US market (which I eagerly anticipate), and the price drop to even within say $15-20 of something like DP, I would not hesitate to grab a bottle or two for special occasions. As it is now? Eh… not that excited. Too much money, not enough difference in product.
Wild Bill Turkey
QUOTE(kaseijin @ Oct 23 2009, 07:52 AM) *

Ted is a *very* busy man these days, but Leopold and Dakini have done a much better job lately of maintaining a friendly and outgoing presence around here and other forums -- and that right there is good marketing.

Do you think Ted is trying to maintain a friendly and outgoing presence here? Do you think he should?
Artemis
Kaseijin's second post went mostly to expanding upon the financial disincentives, but I don't think it was that to which Steve took issue. I don't think anyone would take issue with that, or for that matter, with any personal reasons for not supporting a particular product.

The part of the first post that made me (and Steve as well, I think) uncomfortable was the part quoted by Turkey Bill. If those other people had been insulted as long and as hard here and in other forums as was Ted (and almost entirely without cause), they might well have learned to stay away as well. Ted blazed the trail in more ways than are obvious, and one of them was suffering the slings and poison arrows here. As for being a friend, if you have a friend in Ted, you have a solid friend indeed.

kaseijin
Not in the least. He should run his business exactly how he wants to run it -- and, judging from the size and success of his operation, he's doing one hell of a job. He is certainly well past needing to concern himself with what a few Internet blowhards think on some forum. It's not a criticism at all, or not meant as one at any rate.

I'm not dissing on Ted, his contributions, or his fantastic products. What I'm saying is that, given the current pricing structure, available commercial offerings, and economic climate, it is not worth it to me to purchase a Jade product from overseas, as opposed to a good domestic product. And as somebody who likes patronizing local and small businesses, the fact that Dakini and Leopold *do* maintain that presence here goes a long way to me, and I would reckon to some others as well.
Artemis
And I'm saying that it's an easy choice for them to maintain such a presence in view of the fact they receive little other than adulation. That was not the case with Ted.
kaseijin
I gotcha, Artemis -- my post was in response to Wild Bill. Unfortunately, I was not around during the time when Ted was getting shit from people, and so I missed all that.

I certainly can't blame him for staying away, that being the case. I would, too.
Artemis
I see you've been around for a while, and from Austin too, and that means something as well, so I couldn't be sure how much you knew about all that, but the slagging Ted took was brutal.

You can just call it taking up for Ted if you like. Dr. O would, only he would probably call it fellatio, and not in terms that polite, either.
kaseijin
I've been around a while, but I've been out for vast stretches of time, as my miniscule post count will attest -- and even when around, I have been historically rather reticent to get involved in any discussion. I'm generally a pretty shy fellow.

I really didn't intend to ruffle any feathers with my comment in that first post, and -- just to clarify further -- even unaware of the degree of crap Ted took around here, it was not in the least meant as a criticism of Ted's absence, but rather as positive reinforcement for the distillers who do choose to maintain a presence here. Such a presence just makes me feel good about buying from them. Call it a warm fuzzy.

I have an unfortunate way with words, at times, and a preternatural talent for cramming my foot in my mouth.
Patlow
I don't think it's too big a deal.

For what it's worth, I miss Ted's presence around here. And as busy as he is, he took a lot of time out to help me write an article published in PA Wine & Spirits this year. He couldn't have been nicer or more accessible.
dakini_painter
Jade Edouard was the first bottle of absinthe I bought. If I was to buy a bottle of absinthe today, any of the Jades would be on the list.

Absinthe might still be prohibited in the US if not for the efforts of Ted and Kubler. My business exists because of their efforts.

Thanks Ted! heart.gif
Artemis
It's not too big a deal, and no foot in mouth, Kaseijin. I saw you had been around six years and I'm pretty sure that covered the end, if not the beginning, of the gauntlet Ted ran, so I figured you had overlooked it. I believe you when you say you didn't see it.

The comment about Austin was intended to be positive, that is, if you live in Austin you probably have met a prominent member of the underground stream, who is well aware of how things went down for better and for worse.
OCvertDe
QUOTE(Patlow @ Oct 23 2009, 05:21 PM) *
QUOTE(kaseijin @ Oct 23 2009, 05:11 PM) *
I have an unfortunate way with words, at times, and a preternatural talent for cramming my foot in my mouth.

I don't think it's too big a deal.

Perhaps because you don't seem to share the affliction. I can empathize, and concur that it isn't helpful 'round these parts.
Unless you were implying that you don't think kaseijin has a predisposition to put his foot in his mouth, because I haven't really observed that either.
If anything I think he's demure to a fault.

That all being said,

*foot hovering near my lips*

WTF is all this about the weak dollar? I can appreciate the fact that there are finally domestic alternatives to LdF which can give you a far superior value for your dollar, but the dollar is still far from "tanked". While (relative to the Pound) it isn't the strongest it's been in the last year, it still goes a lot farther at LdF right now than it did two Christmases ago. I placed an order at LdF back in '07 which converted around $235, and at this very moment I could place the same order for under $200. Sure, a few months ago it would have been marginally less, but Jesusfuck Henny Penny! The sky may be moving closer again, but it sure as hell isn't falling. Yet.
speedle
That having been said, I was excited to hear the news today of weak GB economic performance, which caused the pound to drop. Wait, is that right, the pound drops and our imports get cheaper and if the dollar drops our imports get more expensive? At any rate, who knows if that state of affairs will maintain itself until the end of November. Because, for my wacky taste buds, I don't care what the exchange rate is, if I can figure out a way to afford ONE bottle of Eddy, I'm buying it!
Marc
Would be nice to have Ted here posting about the comeback of the Jade line, maybe some of them have changed.

Though we can all understand he's too busy to visit forums, and I doubt he cares anymore about the shit he took here. The only one he was really not friend with has not been posting for a while on any forum (still alive btw?).
Green Baron
QUOTE(speedle @ Oct 23 2009, 06:52 PM) *

That having been said, I was excited to hear the news today of weak GB economic performance, which caused the pound to drop. Wait, is that right, the pound drops and our imports get cheaper and if the dollar drops our imports get more expensive?…

If the GBP drops relative to the dollhair, then yeah, the exchange rate is better for US customers. However, that's only a short term price drop, because as Alan pointed out in another thread, the core price driving currency for absinthes made in the EU is the Euro. Have you noticed that LDF has had to raise their GBP prices (compared to last year)? That's because they are paying more in weak pounds for products priced by a relatively strong Euro.

So what I'm saying is, if the GBP drops vs. the dollar and Euro again, buy from LDF quickly if you can afford it before they adjust their prices.
Donnie Darko
I never to this day understood the umbrage some took with Ted. Pretty much everything from his honesty to his sexuality was brought up by the internet tribunal. If one doesn't like the guy, so be it, but I've heard very few legitimate or even true complaints about him.

His absinthes are not only very good but also unique, with the exception of Lucid which IMO has been completely marginalized by similarly priced brands that are superior (Vieux Pontarlier, Pacifique). The price of Jade does make it prohibitive for me, as my absinthe budget has been reduced to birthday and christmas presents for the foreseeable future, but the one Ted absinthe that always gets forgotten is the cheapest one: Blanchette. I've drank more bottles of that than any other absinthe, and the price ain't bad for an overseas absinthe. And it tastes great.

In any case I'm glad to see his absinthes are not dead, and I hope they didn't have to be modified in a way anyone would notice in order to comply with the selectively applied and arbitrary French regulations.
pierreverte
QUOTE(Green Baron @ Oct 24 2009, 06:45 PM) *

Have you noticed that LDF has had to raise their GBP prices (compared to last year)? That's because they are paying more in weak pounds for products priced by a relatively strong Euro.

So what I'm saying is, if the GBP drops vs. the dollar and Euro again, buy from LDF quickly if you can afford it before they adjust their prices.

LDF has never raised the price on the Jades since the release in 2004 (the EU/UK bottles are now all 70cl so there is 5cl less than in the original UK bottlings)
Green Baron
Just so you know, I'm not tryin' to be a hater or anything PV. I'm just trying to point out that savings caused by exchange rate differences can potentially be short lived.

In the specific case of the Jades, I thought I remembered the price changing from £55 to £60 shortly before the page was redone to list only NO and Blanchette. Now of course, IIRC, those absinthes listed were probably out of stock when that price was posted…but I could very well be mistaken.

As far as non-Jades, an actual example would be Duplais Balance going for £20/50cl back in Sept '08, whereas now it's listed at £28/50cl. Not necessarily saying it's overpriced now or anything, I'm just saying the price eventually did get changed.
oglala56
That is great news, I just received an email from LDF and they did not know when the trinity of Jade would be back in stock..I am ready to buy….
hdtv00
One thing I just now noticed and almost made a topic about is the fact that LDF has free worldwide shipping on over 100 British Pounds Sterling. I mean duh no brainer. I only noticed it when I added to cart and the price never changed by a big chunk.

I'm pleased as punch right now.
Shabba53
It's already a topic. wink.gif
OCvertDe
Indeed. And that's good news for LdF shoppers, if not Jade fans specifically.
If only I actually had a few hundred bucks to spend on Absinthe right now.
Regardless, http://www.feeverte.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=5373
hdtv00
Great so now I see this whole can't ship to the US debacle….UGH.
speedle
I think there's a four-letter expression for that….just can't put my finger on it….
Absomphe
Try sweetening her up a bit first, and maybe you'll get lucky.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.