Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brining the turkey
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Corn Hole
dakini_painter
I'm hosting some friends at my house for T-day this year. It's kind of a first for me. So I've started studying up on the art of turkey preparation and cooking. I remember someone telling me that brining your turkey (perhaps in buttermilk) so I'm curious to hear from real experts. I'm sure there's some here with knowledge to share.

Advice welcome!

Thanks in advance.
kaseijin
It's kind of counter-intuitive on the surface, but brining your turkey will actually cause it to retain moisture when you cook it.

I'm not certain that I have the science of it 100% right here, but the way I always assumed it to work would be that you sort of dry the chicken out prior to cooking, and then - when you cook the bird, more of the fat stays *in* it instead of running off.

Anyway use about a cup of salt and 2 gallons of liquid… and whatever else you want. You can use stock, water, whatever. Then add in whatever else you want for taste -- rosemary, thyme, peppercorns, sugar, what have you.

Start it soaking the night before, and rinse it off (inside and out) before you roast.
Shabba53
I HIGHLY recommend seeking out Alton Brown's episode on brining. Not only does it explain the whole scientific process, but he also gives some great recipes for the brine.

Soaking in buttermilk is different than brining, but brings about a lot of the same results.

Edit: Here's a 5 minute primer from that episode.
Tibro
Be sure you don't get a turkey too big for your oven either. Yeah, sounds pretty self-evident but because we have a small oven and limited options for birds we had a beast bigger than our hot-box one year. But I'm sure you're smarter than I am.
dakini_painter
I don't know if I'm smarter than you, but I think my oven will be large enough for the small bird (14-16#) I hope to get.
Steyr850
I brined using Alton's method. I also brined and deep fried one.
Shabba53
Now you're talkin!
Steyr850
After having brined and roasted vs. brined and fried, no comparison, brine-n-fry. But, you need to be set up for the fry, if you are it will serve much more and faster than a roast where you have just one shot. With frying, you can do just breasts and actually change it up per load. Grease lasts.
dakini_painter
It's going to be roasted. That's the way my mammy did it, and her mammy beforn her.

You kids with your new-fangled ideas. heart.gif

Say hi to Mrs. Elf for me!
Funky D
QUOTE(Steyr850 @ Oct 29 2009, 09:50 PM) *

But, you need to be set up for the fry

…and you need to avoid burning down the house. blink.gif
dakini_painter
I concur.
Kirk
I enjoyed the usual Thanksgiving this year,
for me, it's not Thanksgiving if you don't have the jiggly
The glistening, muddy red, cylindrical delight, delicately ribbed, preserving the shape of a metal soup can, sliding onto the serving dish with a sloooop, and a plop.
Others go for for the fresh cranberry salad
but for me, it wouldn't be Thanksgiving without the jiggly.
Jaded Prole
The usual for me too. I best like the stuffing and gravy. The daughter-in-law made some fine crandied branberries.
dakini_painter
In the end I didn't brine. Just lots of the usual. And homemade cranberry sauce. Tits are meant for jiggling.
Artemis
I like the whole berry sauce - it has a tartness and texture, but that's a fine tribute by Kirk to the other kind, which I like almost as well. Down here we had a fried turkey and a roasted one, gumbo, two kinds of bread pudding, and various experiments with oysters on the grill, some with spinach, cheese, bacon, etc. Unfortunately I had no absinthe to douse any, much less drink, and had to settle for a bottle of Jim Beam black cherry bourbon, which wasn't too awful.
Donnie Darko
I need to get new glasses. I thought the title of this thread said "Blinging the turkey", and I imagined a turkey wearing a diamond studded grille with his initials on it and gold chains.

The Alton Brown episode on brining the turkey is a treasure. My wife is a vegetarian, hasn't eaten turkey since she was 9, and she made his turkey brining recipe and it was the best turkey I've ever had.
Patlow
That's a great gal. It's hard to do that.

Read this:

http://www.amazon.com/Eating-Animals-Jonat…r/dp/0316069906
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.