Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Absinthe event in Houston, TX Saturday Dec. 5th
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe in the News & in the Media
Id Wizzard
Hello all,

I want to let everyone know about our absinthe event we're putting together here in Houston.

It will be help at a great place called AvantGarden. It looks like it will be pretty big. Great absinthe, music, fairies. You know, the good stuff.

We're working with a group of mixolgists to come up with an absinthe cocktail menu and we're recruiting some celebrity mixologists to mix up some specialty drinks. There will also be tatings of the different absinthes served the traditionally.

At the root of our concept is to introduce people that don't know about absinthe, are scared of it, or simply think it "tastes like licorice" and educate them as best we can. We will open the evening with a presentation for interested folks about the history, misconceptions, methods, verte, blanche, etc..

We're expecting a big turnout. Come join us. I'll post more as things develop.

Id
kaseijin
Being in Texas, I'm curious to know the extent of the absinthe selection being sampled: Are you sticking with the five or six on our state's liquor store shelves (St. George, Mata Hari, Pernod, Kubler, Lucid, LTV), or are you bringing in others?

Id Wizzard
QUOTE(kaseijin @ Oct 26 2009, 04:55 PM) *

Being in Texas, I'm curious to know the extent of the absinthe selection being sampled: Are you sticking with the five or six on our state's liquor store shelves (St. George, Mata Hari, Pernod, Kubler, Lucid, LTV), or are you bringing in others?

That's a great question. We have tried to get a group of absinthes that are not yet available in Texas here for the event. Spec's Liquors is one of the sponsors. They offered to help get these other brands in. But, as of right now, the only producers that are sure to be here are Viridian with all three of their absinthes. That is Lucid, Nouvelle Orleans and Clandestine. Sazerac is sending their reissue of the original Herbsaint (I know it's not an absinthe but it's pretty good stuff). St George has shown interest and is approved here as you know. but they've had some personnel changes and I haven't been in touch with the person that is stepping in to take over these duties.

I am still holding out hope that some of these other producers will get approved before the event with Spec's help but, admittedly, it is looking dim. I would personally love to see Pacifique and Marteau here as well as Delaware Phoenix's absinthes. I believe with Viridain's selctions, we will have a good representaion of a decent absinthe in Lucid, a very, very nice verte in Nouvelle Orleans and a great Swiss blanche in the Clandestine.

I will be attending a meeting tonight and will be updated on what Spec's might have to offer as far as news.

Ted Breaux will be here to represent Viridian's products and Jay Hendrickson will be here for Sazerac. Right now they will be giving a presentation about the history of absinthe, the misconceptions and myths sorrounding it, the making of it, etc. before the doors open to the public.

The concept behind the event was borne of widening the public interest in absinthe. For that reason the presentation will be helpful to those interested. To help with the "tastes like licorice" crowd, we are having a group of mixologists put together a short menu of absinthe cocktails plus we are expecting to have a few celebrity mixologists making specialty absinthe cocktails throughout the evning.

I agree and frankly am disappointed we have not gotten a broader spectrum of different brands represented than we have. It would have been beneficial to all concerned. Spec's would have improved their selection by a good measure and the producers would have broken into a good market. But, like I say, I still have hopes to get some more brands in for the event.

As far as the general public is concerned, I think they will be enjoying great absinthe from Viridian. I know true absintheteurs would like to see other brands as well. But as you pointed out. the extent of absinthe selection here is not what one would hope. Improving that situation was one of my personal goals when we came up with the idea.

It should still be a great evening and hope you'll attend. Please be sure to introduce yourself.

I welcome your comments,
id
kaseijin
I think Viridian is a plenty good introduction. Frankly, and despite being the lowest rated of them, the NO is one of my favorites of the Jade line, and actually one of my favorite absinthes produced (even though the price/value point still isn't there for me). It has a uniqueness of character that I just sorta dig on; not sure what that is.

Regarding the rest of the lot, don't be too disappointed -- it's just our backward-ass state laws. I was hopeful that if Spec's could get more labels in for your shindig, that maybe that would auger well for the Texas market in general.

I have to confess that the weekend of the 5th is touch-and-go for me, being the lady's birthday…though she may have to do her clinical rotations that weekend, so plans are in the air. If I end up being free, I would very much like to try and go.

Any suggestions for reasonable accommodations in the area?
Id Wizzard
QUOTE(kaseijin @ Oct 26 2009, 08:07 PM) *

I think Viridian is a plenty good introduction. Frankly, and despite being the lowest rated of them, the NO is one of my favorites of the Jade line, and actually one of my favorite absinthes produced (even though the price/value point still isn't there for me). It has a uniqueness of character that I just sorta dig on; not sure what that is.

Regarding the rest of the lot, don't be too disappointed -- it's just our backward-ass state laws. I was hopeful that if Spec's could get more labels in for your shindig, that maybe that would auger well for the Texas market in general.

I have to confess that the weekend of the 5th is touch-and-go for me, being the lady's birthday…though she may have to do her clinical rotations that weekend, so plans are in the air. If I end up being free, I would very much like to try and go.

Any suggestions for reasonable accommodations in the area?

I just got back from our meeting and Spec's is basically putting us in contact with their major distributors. Spec's sponsorship is basically being defined by giving us a special email to their 50K+ mailing list about the event. But they are not insisting we have to serve anything from their shelves. That is between us and the producers that can get into Texas. I do still have hopes that we might get some of these guys in. Mariana, the owner of AvantGarden will be talking to Spec's people again to straighten out a couple of facts dealing with communication or lack thereof between the folks involved.

But, I think we agree that, given what we have to work with, we're doing pretty well. We'll be able to serve good stuff which shows variety within absinthe. It should be good time for all and we hope this is the beginning of a tradition. Perhaps next time everybody will get their ducks in a row and we'll have more variety to sample.

I hope you can make it. We'll be glad to help find you accomodations as we get nearer to the event. Just let me know when you know if you can make it.

This has never happened in Houston or Texas as far as I'm aware. So I hope you can make it.

id
kaseijin
Doesn't look like I will be able to make it; birthday plans are go. Sorry to miss it, and hope that it's a smashing success! Have fun!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.