Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hello from CT
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > General > The Entrance Hall
TheMacDonald
Greetings from CT, insurance Capitol of the world. New to Absinthe, but I have drank my way through most all the other alcoholic geneses, scotch, vodka, gin, cognac, so Absinthe seems like the next frontier.

I went to New Orleans in 2000 (Mardi Gras), bellied right up to the bar at the Absinthe House and the Old Absinthe House and tried to order their namesake, but alas…I was thwarted. It seems only recently that quality Absinthe has been available in my area, but I have had Kubler and Vieux Carré.
OCvertDe
And what did you think of them? I'm down in New London County. Welcome!
Marc
Welcome Mc D.
Patlow
Cheers! Welcome!
TheMacDonald
QUOTE(OCvertDe @ Oct 28 2009, 11:00 PM) *

And what did you think of them? I'm down in New London County. Welcome!

“New London Country,” ha! I like it. I'm up north of Hartford in Win-sire (Windsor) recently relocated from the city of Homes, Springfield MA (now with 30% more murder). I have not been to New London in some time but always like the look of the “downtown” area, very classically urban on some steep hills, or maybe I’m confusing that with Groton.

I like the Kubler, although it seems from the reviews it is the "low water mark" in Absinthe. I have not tried the Vieux Carré yet. I bought it last week but it has been such a busy week I have not had time to properly enjoy it.

BTW, Marc, Mc D is the nick name of a fast food corp, my family has the Scottish version of the sir name of the original founder's name, MacDonald.
kaseijin
Here's to Scotsmen - welcome aboard!
G&C
Fast food is Mickey D.

You can be Mackey D.

There all settled.
Absomphe
The lowest of the low, they say?

Colonized by wankers, they say?

Absinthe's the cure, I say! LARS!.gif
kaseijin
Somebody please explain Lars to me. blink.gif
TheMacDonald
QUOTE(G&C @ Oct 29 2009, 03:14 PM) *

Fast food is Mickey D.

You can be Mackey D.

There all settled.

Mackey, Mac, ect and all the varieties including ole' MacDonald had a farm, but not "Mc anything."
Tibro
Hey, Bulldog.
OCvertDe
QUOTE(TheMacDonald @ Oct 29 2009, 09:12 AM) *
I like the Kubler, although it seems from the reviews it is the "low water mark" in Absinthe. I have not tried the Vieux Carré yet. I bought it last week but it has been such a busy week I have not had time to properly enjoy it.

Kubler is more of a "low water mark" for drinkable Absinthe. It's actually middle of the road- trust me, there's a lot that's way worse, absolute crap. I've found Kubler is a good gauge of whether or not someone who has never tried Absinthe will like it. If you do, it's worth your energies to explore deeper… like VC on the other hand, which is very, very good.
TheMacDonald
I should rephrase what I said, Kubler is the begining of good Absinthe, and a good Absinthe in it's self. I know there are a lot of bad (what is sold as) Absinthe.

A former co-worker of mine last year, convinced that the legal Absinthe was only a shadow of the "real deal," spent a small fortune for some former Soviet Bloc small bottle of swill that even to my noob nose was simply bad.

I tried the Vieux Carré last night. Wow, I see the difference between a Blanche and Verte. Beside the visual, the verte was earthy and seemed to contain more in the way of an herbal charcter while the blanche held more of the highnotes of the herbs. I'm hooked, but will I be a verte man or blanche?

OCvertDe
Don't make that decision based on Kubler, the difference between Kubler and VC is a lot more than just color. Until you've had something on the level of Clandestine or Combier Blanchette, you won't know if you're a blanche man or not.
Absinthe Ben
Welcome Mac D. Judging by your few posts you have done your absinthe homework. Cheers!
Patlow
VC is very unique too. Try a Mystique maybe or something like VP for a more classic verte.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.