Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LEEEEEEEE!!!
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Entertainment
Patlow
1-0

(6-1!!!)

LOVING IT!!!

LARS!.gif
Absomphe
What you said!
Patlow
1-1.

Not bad. Split the series in NYC.

Now they are coming home.

Go PHILS!
Donnie Darko
Sorry about Hamels. He started out awesome, but shouldn't have listened to his stupid catcher. Why throw anything other than a heater to a pitcher who almost never stands at home plate?

It's no matter to me, I'm a Cubs fan, but this series sure is a tough fight.
Patlow
Yup! Didn't like that 2nd curveball… Grrr… Go Phils!
Tibro
Gettin' kinda quiet in here.
Absomphe
Ya think?
Tibro
Just kinda waiting for the last hurrah.
Patlow
I think Lee wins tonight, but NYC will be tough… Been a tough few days in Philly…
Absomphe
QUOTE(Patlow @ Nov 2 2009, 07:15 AM) *

I think Lee wins tonight…maybe, but NYC will be impossible…

There, that's better.

Or not, but more realistic.
eric
The Phils blew it last night when they started Blanton instead of Lee. It was totally foolish to rest their ace when they were down 2-1 at home.
They will probably win tonight but the Yankees are in a very good spot right now.
Patlow
I agree. It was a HUGE mistake and colossal momentum shifter. Extremely disappointed here.

You can't make ANY mistakes against these Yankees and we've made a few. The sleeping bat of Howard isn't helping either.

It would be miraculous at this point to pull it off. But it's baseball so, anything is possible.
Tibro
QUOTE(Absomphe @ Nov 2 2009, 10:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Patlow @ Nov 2 2009, 07:15 AM) *

I think Lee wins tonight…maybe, but NYC will be impossible…

There, that's better.

Or not, but more realistic.

Ever the realist.

Can somebody change the headings on this topic now?
Patlow
We had a great season, that's for sure. Can't lose three in a row to the Yankees and then expect them to shit the bed too.

Football time!

(And yes, the heading should def. change or be deleted. Acknowledged.)
Donnie Darko
Can we change it to Cubs Win the Series in 2010!!!! ?

Or maybe Cold Fusion discovered and harnessed!

Both are equally likely.
Patlow
Will they win in TD BANK Park?
dakini_painter
I think they'd be embarrassed to do so.

Rant: Naming ballparks after banks and corporations (and for money at that) is one of the many indications of America's failure. How the mighty have fallen. And the depths to which they'll sink for their greed.
Donnie Darko
Well, right now it's named after Wrigley, which is a corporation. Honestly professional sports has always been about price gouging and overpaid "executives" (i.e. athletes), so they could call the park Enron park for all I care (investing in Milton Bradley was kind of like investing in Enron).

It won't get renamed though. People in Chicago are very sensitive about the names of things. They threw an unholy tantrum there when Marshall Fields was bought by Macy's and renamed. There were actually protestors, lots of them, on a freezing November day outside, because somebody renamed their department store. No way in hell is Wrigley getting renamed.
dakini_painter
Thanks Donnie. Wiki has an interesting (to me) article on Wrigley Field. I guess when you're a chewing gum magnate and own the field, you can name it whatever you want.

I'm probably wrong, but it seems part of the historical fondness for players until the 1950's or even 60's was they seemed like regular Joes. Now it's all about the multi-million dollar contracts. I think it's been that way for a while. I'm just thinking out loud.
Provenance
QUOTE(dakini_painter @ Nov 6 2009, 04:17 AM) *
Rant: Naming ballparks after banks and corporations (and for money at that) is one of the many indications of America's failure.

I thought the problem was spending hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars (per stadium) to subsidize entertainment corporations.
dakini_painter
Agreed.

And if the guy who got the contract for demolishing Old Yankee Stadium is smart he'll sell off one pound pieces of concrete (from the stadium) as souvenirs.
Tibro
Common knowledge, I thought, was that if you keep the masses entertained they are much less likely to complain about their lot and demand what is their proper due.
G&C
Worked for Caesar.
G&C
To a point.
dakini_painter
Actually Caesar was killed by the rich. See:

The Assassination of Julius Caesar: A People's History of Ancient Rome, by Michael Parenti. Also worth reading is Democracy for the Few.

G&C
Like I said…
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.