Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suggestions for absinthe cocktails
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > General Absinthe Discussion
Id Wizzard
Hello all,

As our Celebration of Absinthe event draws near here in Houston (Dec 5th), we are having a small gathering to sample and come up with a short menu of easy to make absinthe cocktails for the bar staff.

What are your favorite recipes?

id
Kirk
My favorite is: Just add water.
Tibro
Something brought this to my attention today. Maybe it's useful. Or maybe it's just more zombie litter.
Alan
QUOTE(Kirk @ Nov 4 2009, 06:07 AM) *

Dangerous. There seem to be more people dying from water intoxication than from absinthe and we wouldn't want water to spoil the reputation of absinthe.
absinthist
QUOTE(Kirk @ Nov 4 2009, 06:07 AM) *

And nothing more is required.
G&C
Indeed.
dakini_painter
I personally agree that simple preparations of absinthe in the traditional manner (excepting sugar) are the best and help introduce people to the historical character of traditional absinthe.

That said, an absinthe frappe was a fairly common pre-Prohibition American preparation for absinthe (or as impy will point out: Herbsaint).

The following recipe comes from Lars (Brooks' brother) whom many know.

1 oz absinthe
4 shakes Peychaud's
1/4-1/2 tsp simple syrup (to taste)
3 oz water
lemon twist

Into the cocktail shaker it goes. Add lots o' ice. Shake like to mean it. Pour and strain into a cocktail glass. Fish the lemon twist out and toss in if you want.

This is a drink every girl will love, as will a few strong men. Especially men that walk into a bar and all the other patrons leave. They can drink whatever they like, however they want.

And for those having an experimental bent, with many new bitters being available perhaps one of those would work as well.
Id Wizzard
Agreed! Really good absinthe is best served tradtionally. All of us the can appreciate absinthe for what it is don't require anything else. Personally, I do enjoy some good cheese (what a friend we have in cheeses) or some nice chcolate.

I have found it very frustrating throughout the years, when introducing someone to absinthe, when they just shrug and say "uh, tastes like licorice". It makes me just wanna slap 'em up side da hed (as they say around these parts).

With the resurgence of interest in cocktails and some of the very cool things mixologists are creating, I feel absinthe should be a part of it.

And, if I can get a cocktail past one of those "licorice cretins", I'd be happy.

This is one of the biggest challenges we're facing with our absinthe event. Yes, we're serving absinthe in the tradtional manner but we've got to help the less open minded to try something beyond their own prejudice.

Although there are many books and recipes listed everywhere, I thought it would be good to get personal suggestions for favorites.

thanks,
id

Tibro
Cheese can be found nearly everywhere you look these days. Chcolate I'm not sure where to find, but it sounds exotic.
G&C
Here.
This one is pretty tasty.

Clipper Ship

2 ounce gin
1 ounce St-Germain
1/2 ounce lime juice
1 dash absinthe
Garnish: Lime twist
Shake with ice, strain into an ice-filled Old Fashioned glass.
Source: Robert Hess (2008)
Pacific Distilleries "Voyager" gin is recommended for this drink.
G&C
I like this one, also.

Corpse Reviver #2

3/4 ounce gin
3/4 ounce lemon juice
3/4 ounce Cointreau
3/4 ounce Lillet blanc
1 dash absinthe
Shake with ice. Strain into a cocktail glass.
Source: "The Savoy Cocktail Book" by Harry Craddock (1930)
G&C
This one is really good.
Obituary Cocktail

2 ounce gin
1/4 ounce dry vermouth
1/4 ounce absinthe
Stir with ice. Strain into a cocktail glass.
G&C
Here's a cocktail that one can really hurt themselves with.

Monkey Gland

2 ounce gin
1 ounce orange juice
1/4 ounce grenadine
1 dash absinthe
Garnish: Orange twist
Shake with ice. Strain into a cocktail glass.
G&C
I hope this helps.
Id Wizzard
QUOTE(G&C @ Nov 5 2009, 07:13 PM) *

I hope this helps.

Thanks G&C,

Good ones,

id
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.