Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why Absinthe?
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > General Absinthe Discussion
TheMacDonald
Here comes the new guy question…I have been wondering for a while what made you an Absinthe enthusiasts. I understand that the legend of thujue is generally debunked, although I have notice a distinct difference in the “headiness” of Absinthe compared to other drinks. I drink certain drinks for certain reasons, all of them because I enjoy them, but scotch cues certain memories, gin when I want to know what it is like to ingest a super nova, cognac relaxes my muscles after a rare day of hard work, ect., so, why Absinthe? Beyond the novelty and taste, what, if there is something, draws you back to it over and over again?
kaseijin
Hmm. Long question, and yet – given the stories of others here – my answer is probably one of the shorter stories.

I’d be a liar if I said that part of the appeal of absinthe at first was the fact that you couldn’t get it. I’m also just sorta baseline fascinated by things like this that are steeped in ritual and tradition, especially (being something of a foodie) if they are loosely part of the culinary world. I guess it was around the summer of 2002 that I first determined to research the drink and see if I could get my hands on some. In doing so, I discovered the FV forums (then a portion of the Sepulchritude site). I didn’t speak up much at all, since the folks here were at the time a lot more rowdy than they are now, but I read a whole lot; it’s also kind of intimidating to be a total newb at something and find yourself surrounded by people who are leagues past your understanding of the subject.

chop.gif was honestly never an issue for me. If anything, the science being laid down here that debunked the effects and dangers of chop.gif went a long way to convincing me to try some absinthe. I’m not an experimenter with substances.

The first I had was honestly pretty bad. I got a bottle of Absente at the liquor store (this would have been 1999 – before I discovered Sepulchritude, or really learned anything at all about the drink, short of "it's green and you use a spoon"). It was nasty. The Sepulchritude forums convinced me that it wasn’t just me that found Absente nasty, and that I shouldn’t take it as representative of the drink…so I resolved to try again. Some friends and I did the journey at the time through various oil mixes and then the Un Emiles. Those first few bottles I wasn’t a huge fan of, but we drank them since we had paid for them.

I am still not a huge licorice fan, interestingly enough. Now, of course, it actually doesn’t taste like licorice to me at all. Or rather, it doesn’t taste like black jellybeans. When I taste a good absinthe, it tastes more like a garden to me: there’s a whole variety of plants in there, and their tastes come to the fore at different times. It’s nice and complex, and I can get into it on an entirely different level, sort of like a Scotch.

So why do I keep returning to it? I like the ritual, the tradition, the science, the taste. It’s an old-fashioned drink, and for a second while drinking it, you’re absorbed by it…its aroma, its beauty, its taste. The slowness of dripping from a fountain forces you to take a moment to relax. For somebody who works online, and is constantly sweating deadlines, that forced relaxation is a nice way to reset your priorities. On a warm day, the cool sweetness of it is refreshing. And it’s also elegant, with all its trappings and accoutrements, and getting further into it has tapped into both my pack-rat enjoyment of collecting and my as yet clumsy and hamfisted love of gardening.
Absomphe
QUOTE(kaseijin @ Nov 10 2009, 01:25 PM) *

hamfisted

I swear my brain first interpreted this word as 'hamsterfied'.

I guess this stuff really does turn you gay. sleepy.gif
Donnie Darko
I heard it removed panties better than any other hooch, and who could say no to that?
dakini_painter
I came to absinthe late, in early 2006. It was even just the word "absinthe" that interested me. After trying it a few times I got seduced.

I actually don't like licorice candy (even the top quality ones with real licorice), but I really like absinthe. It's the fact that it's quite a light alcohol, easy to drink, tasty. Other than good beer I drink nothing other than absinthe. And it's absinthe more often than anything else.
absinthist
Drink it or sink it. Or move to the next one.

@MacDonald: please, use a smaller font, will you?
TheMacDonald
QUOTE(absinthist @ Nov 10 2009, 10:31 PM) *

Lol, sorry about that, I forgot Times New Roman comes out tiny. Again, I'm going to pull my neww guy card until it is worn thin.
G&C
It was all about getting high for me.
I wanted to see things that aren't really there and cut off my ear.

I'm still looking for the fairies…
kaseijin
QUOTE(kaseijin @ Nov 10 2009, 01:25 PM) *

[…] if I said that part of the appeal of absinthe at first WASN'T the fact that you couldn’t get it. […]

..in other words, the lack of availability was enticing. headbonk.gif
Absomphe
QUOTE(G&C @ Nov 10 2009, 03:17 PM) *

I'm still looking for the fairies…

Capitol Hill, last time I checked.
mxreb0
Yeah… it really is addictive.
speedle
QUOTE(absinthist @ Nov 10 2009, 05:31 PM) *

Did you get lost and think this was Twitter?
celticgent
it's the gayest drink this side of a Flaming Pink Squirrel.

if that's not reason enough, go shit in your hat.
scuto
Done.

What's next?
AgamemnonAtreides
I like absinthe because it is a pleasant drink (it doesn't seem to produce hangovers), it tastes exquisite, and the ritual is suited to the way in which I like to drink; slowly, and with introspection.
Patlow
Oh, there ARE absinthe hangovers, my friend…
Tibro
Just another reason not to use sugar. I mean, besides not marring the flavors.
G&C
Indeed!
Absomphe
QUOTE(Patlow @ Dec 18 2009, 12:57 PM) *

Not Absomphesizing™ really keeps those in Czech, or so I've heard.
Funky D
I thought absinthe cured hangovers… substitute coffe for absinthe with your eggs and ham.
Donnie Darko
Absinthe results in less of a hangover because you're drinking 3-4 ounces of fresh water for every 1 ounce of alcohol. But if you do push it to the point of an actual hangover, an absinthe hangover is the meanest hangover you will ever encounter, which will make even your most grueling tequila hangovers seem like a relaxing tropical vacation.
Kirk
I had an absinthe hangover that lasted 4 days. For 3 days my kidneys didn't work at all, I couldn't swallow an ounce of water without puking and when I did, there were delicate threads of red blood throughout. I wasn't at all sure I was going to survive it. 375 Ml of E.T. almost sent me to my maker.
kaseijin
That's what we call 'alcohol poisoning'…. been there, and it's no fun. Glad you made it through.

Edit: Also…. what Donnie said.
BrSpiritus
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Dec 19 2009, 10:25 AM) *

Absinthe results in less of a hangover because you're drinking 3-4 ounces of fresh water for every 1 ounce of alcohol. But if you do push it to the point of an actual hangover, an absinthe hangover is the meanest hangover you will ever encounter, which will make even your most grueling tequila hangovers seem like a relaxing tropical vacation.

Hmmm I remember fondly a Deva hangover I had back in 2001… fun times.

I must be one of the oldest researchers with absinthe because I first started getting interested in it in '92 when it appeared in Bram Stoker's Dracula. I've been with the forum since the earliest days… kinda like joining the Nazi party when Hitler was still speaking on street corners (LOL it's just a joke). It brings a tear to my eye to see how far we have come with product availability and legalization. My first bottle of absinthe was Sebor's and I still have a photo of my collection that shows Deva, Segarra, Absenta NS and a bottle of Ted's NO distiller's proof.

BR
Grim
BR!!!

Welcome back…
thegreenimp
QUOTE(TheMacDonald @ Nov 10 2009, 03:02 PM) *
Why Absinthe?

Click to view attachment
Artemis
Grim, your mailbox is not accepting messages. Maybe it's full.
sardonix
QUOTE(Patlow @ Dec 18 2009, 03:57 PM) *

…As I found out this past summer…after touting the "non-hangover" effects of the absinthe buzz to some friends sharing a beach house who were new to the drink…'Twas a fun evening! Little by little, one by one, they disappeared from the bonfire…eventually leaving me to myself and the bottle…Unfortunately, the next day was not so fun…I got up in time to go to dinner for some Asian cuisine, which would have been much more enjoyable had I not felt like my brain went through a wood chipper… guillotine.gif
Grim
QUOTE(Artemis @ Feb 22 2010, 12:09 AM) *

Grim, your mailbox is not accepting messages. Maybe it's full.

Corrected, Sir!
R3al Caravano
The best trick to avoid hangovers, is to not stop drinking.
speedle
I've heard that somewhere.
Touch-money
I got interested in Absinthe after a friend and I bought a bottle of Sebor. I soon there after stumbled upon this website and became informed and realized what absinthe was all about. After trying many other brands I got my hands on a bottle of Jade VS Distillers Proof and there was no turning back!
mgs
I got interested in absinthe when I lived in France two years ago. I remember I had Pastis and thought that was very nice to mix it with water and get a refreshing still alcoholic drink…. I mentioned to some Swiss friends about Pastis and they said, you have to try absinthe in my house….. I went there, they prepared with the sugar cube and dripping water from a small carafe…. After we drank they showed some youtube videos and then I learned of the history of the ban….. I got really curious, anything that has some mistery or ritual is kind of attracted to me. I came to US and several friends said that it was not legal. I went to Brazil and heard stories of people getting completely wasted with absinthe….. After a few times that I tried different brands I started to develop my own perception of anise versus wormwood taste. All the way to prepare with the water fountain, using different glasses is fascinating. I don't think that drinking is something for the pleasure to get drunk, there is something more in enjoying wine, beer or absinthe…. what is behind the "boisson"…. that is what brought me and kept me to absinthe.

- Marcelo
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.