Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: La Fée Verte C'est La Mort?
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > General Absinthe Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
Provenance
IPB Image
G&C
Pretty lively across town in comparison.

Click to view attachment
speedle
We all used to be things we aren't anymore.

Which would be sad, in this case. Just goes to show you what a bunch of insults will do for site traffic.
Absomphe
Czeching out the activity in that other longstanding absinthe forum makes that even clearer.
kaseijin
Always see a lot of people checking the site. Just happenstance that nobody has much been posting lately.
Tirador
QUOTE(kaseijin @ Nov 12 2009, 02:37 PM) *

Always see a lot of people checking the site. Just happenstance that nobody has much been posting lately.

I used to be really active here … but of late people here are just so … unfriendly …

I'm friendly with any absinture I encounter, and will help any distiller of any spirit out whenever I can … including giving them access to my extensive library of rare distillation texts … just because it's a good thing to do.

In short, I try and treat people the way I'd like to be treated … not a difficult concept is it?

Just something to think about.

OCvertDe
And here I thought everyone was getting real warm and fuzzy around here lately. Huh.
Steve
QUOTE(Tirador @ Nov 12 2009, 05:18 PM) *

I used to be really active here … but of late people here are just so … unfriendly …

I wouldn't really call having 47 posts "really active". I know you're friends with some of the distillers here but for the rest of us you never really introduced yourself. We're not unfriendly, but we can be a tough crowd.
Grim
QUOTE(Tirador @ Nov 12 2009, 06:18 PM) *

I used to be really active here … but of late people here are just so … unfriendly … [I] will help any distiller of any spirit out whenever I can … including giving them access to my extensive library of rare distillation texts … just because it's a good thing to do.

Well, I'd gladly review any book you have in your library.

I'm a distiller. I collect distillation texts. I don't distill "any spirit," but I distill many spirits…

Access to your extensive library?! I'm game. If you really want to be liberal about exchanging information on the art, I'm all about that, too.

(But just remember you're no JBM.)
Provenance
QUOTE(speedle @ Nov 12 2009, 01:34 PM) *

In that the quote is from a book, I wouldn't expect you to understand it.
Kirk

Which would be sad, in this case. Just goes to show you what a bunch of insults will do for site traffic.

Speedle,
what's the difference between Jam and Jelly?
Artemis
QUOTE(Tirador @ Nov 13 2009, 01:18 AM) *

I'm friendly with any absinture I encounter, and will help any distiller of any spirit out whenever I can … including giving them access to my extensive library of rare distillation texts … just because it's a good thing to do.

In short, I try and treat people the way I'd like to be treated … not a difficult concept is it?

Just something to think about.

What's to think about? I don't even begin to get that - this place is the friendliest it has EVER been, by far, and people are being treated here, exactly as suggested above, to a far greater extent than has EVER been the case here in the past. Distillation was not discussed here at all (or discouraged if it came up) because there was no LEGAL absinthe distillation going on at the time. And that has changed as well. Anybody complaining about this forum would complain about being hung with a new rope - better check those other forums to see how nasty things can be.
Marc
.. says the man we all respect.
Amen.
Artemis
Thank you, mon ami. "All" is no doubt going too far. I am for sure not what I used to be.

I should clarify that my remark about other forums is not meant as an insult to the Lounge. Far from it - the thread there about the mess in question "Peter is an ASS" - shows a remarkable degree of restraint and consideration from Lounge old-timers. The actual nastiness took place elsewhere, it seems.
speedle
I agree. Then there is this, of course.

QUOTE(Kirk @ Nov 13 2009, 10:47 AM) *

Pro, I admit, I stole that just to make a point, it served a purpose. No implication that I understood either its origin or its import to you personally.

Speedle,
what's the difference between Jam and Jelly?

Is that like a pot and kettle reference?
Artemis
I didn't understand that exchange at all, but many subtle things go right over my head here. That other stuff was a train wreck by comparison.
Provenance
I doubt any old Lounger interpreted Atremis' post as remotely insulting. Or disagreed with Marc's statements regarding "the man we all respect."
Tibro
Which I believe ties into Kirk's query. Preserves. That's the difference. And it makes all the difference. Jams and jellies are both mere exercises in canning. Preserves. That's something worth holding onto and saving. Savoring and enjoying. As time befits.
speedle
Ah, I see. Can't disagree with that one bit.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Artemis @ Nov 13 2009, 08:36 AM) *

…this place is the friendliest it has EVER been, by far, and people are being treated here, exactly as suggested above, to a far greater extent than has EVER been the case here in the past.

Indeed.

Perhaps as result of a genuine maturation process not dissimilar to that undergone by the aforementioned preserves, as well as fine absinthe and other noble potables.
eric
What is the difference between jam and jelly?
Is that like a pot and kettle reference?

The answer is…

Well, I sure the hell didn't jelly my cock in your mother's ass last night.
kaseijin
blink.gif

HA!
speedle
Sucha motha fucka he is.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(eric @ Nov 13 2009, 04:20 PM) *

Well, I sure the hell didn't jelly my cock in your mothers ass last night.

Good one. The only thing I never got about those jokes was that it implicates the joke teller as somebody who likes to ass-fuck old ladies. I think it would be better if it said "I sure as hell didn't "jelly" my cock into your 20 year old hot daughter's ass last night" or something like that.
Absomphe
Get with the program, Donnie.

MILFs and Cougars are where it's at, these days.

Or so I've heard.
dakini_painter
Actually speedle, eric is making a joke. If he really didn't like you, he'd just say you were a shit and be done with it.

I've met Kirk and spent time with him and Mrs Kirk and they're wonderful people. I've met Oscar and hissy and spent time with them and they are wonderful people. eric is a wonderful person. Prol and Mrs Prol are great people. I've met peridot and Brian Robinson and I cannot say that any person I've met so far was a bad person. I've met a few other folks too, or spoken with them from time to time. In fact they were all very decent wonderful human beings. Regardless of my differences with them about absinthe or which forum they prefer.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Artemis @ Nov 13 2009, 11:36 AM) *

better check those other forums to see how nasty things can be.

They could start by searching this forum's old archives for posts by Don Walsh, Marc Campbell, Anatomist, etc. While I wouldn't accuse any of them of being pleasant all the time (although they all had moments of niceness), they certainly could handle a blow-torch in an expert and amusing fashion.
Steve
I kept a low profile in those days. It got pretty brutal sometimes, but always fascinating.
thegreenimp
I thought everything went downhill when Head stopped posting his poems.
Artemis
Don and Hippie MC and Anatomist and some others used words like spiked knuckles in here, as did I - I crossed swords with all of them at some point myself. That they were so good at it made all the difference; it was a sport in itself. Head P first showed up in here spraying graffiti on the walls to make fun of the whole pretentious mess, like a poet in a Krusty the Clown suit at the Roman arena. There were giants in those days.

Eric was just farting in church in the above remark to break up the cloying sweetness and light, which I believe Speedle appreciated fully, as shown by his answer - motha fucka - which was funny in its own right. Everyone from here I have met in person (many) was alright.

Now excuse me, I have a sack of puppies I must set out to freeze.
Grim
Forums are for saying "Happy Birthday" and kissing ass.
Wild Bill Turkey
Come on, there's more to it than that. The forums are great places for doing newcomer introduction threads.
G&C
Hi my name is G&C.
I'm drunk and it''s my birthday.

At least it was when I started drinking.
absinthist
Hello Newbie!
speedle
QUOTE(dakini_painter @ Nov 13 2009, 05:25 PM) *

Actually speedle, eric is making a joke. If he really didn't like you, he'd just say you were a shit and be done with it.

I've met Kirk and spent time with him and Mrs Kirk and they're wonderful people. I've met Oscar and hissy and spent time with them and they are wonderful people. eric is a wonderful person. Prol and Mrs Prol are great people. I've met peridot and Brian Robinson and I cannot say that any person I've met so far was a bad person. I've met a few other folks too, or spoken with them from time to time. In fact they were all very decent wonderful human beings. Regardless of my differences with them about absinthe or which forum they prefer.

Ha! So was my reply. :) But I appreciate you pointing that out, DP.

Apparently his joke was funnier than mine.

Your other point is right on, everyone I've met from any of the forums has been not only nice, but a lot of fun to drink with! Maybe it's just me, but all the forums seem to be getting mellower these days.
dakini_painter
You see I'm so out of touch even speedle knows more than me.
EdouardPerneau
Forums are so 2008
dakini_painter
Well then, be a fan on Facebook. blink.gif chickawow.gif
Kirk
face-ists are over rated.
Absomphe
QUOTE(dakini_painter @ Nov 14 2009, 03:57 PM) *

Well then, be a fan on Facebook. blink.gif chickawow.gif

Not now, or ever, onacuz I'm basically so 1908.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Artemis @ Nov 13 2009, 07:54 PM) *

Don and Hippie MC and Anatomist and some others used words like spiked knuckles in here, as did I - I crossed swords with all of them at some point myself. That they were so good at it made all the difference; it was a sport in itself. Head P first showed up in here spraying graffiti on the walls to make fun of the whole pretentious mess, like a poet in a Krusty the Clown suit at the Roman arena. There were giants in those days.

Eric was just farting in church in the above remark to break up the cloying sweetness and light, which I believe Speedle appreciated fully, as shown by his answer - motha fucka - which was funny in its own right. Everyone from here I have met in person (many) was alright.

Don't live near a lake, eh? I suppose freezing to death isn't as bad as drowning, and at least if you put them outside there's a chance somebody might rescue them. Throwing them
in the river usually means it's curtains for them. Enough sick ass jokes from me though.

I remember when I first strutted in here I got my head handed to me by Marc, you and Chong all at the same time. I deserved it. Forums are asshole magnets. Exhibit A: I'm still here.
Patlow
This forum is like a Haruki Murakami novel to me.

It exists somewhere in between sleep, in between drinks, and in between dreams.

"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional." --H.M.
Donnie Darko
I loved Hard Boiled Wonderland. An old friend member from the Lounge named Sheepprofessor (another Murakami reference) actually read in in Japanese. He said the American version was the best translation of any Japanese novel he'd ever read.
Patlow
You don't disappoint much do you, D.D.?

The Wind Up Bird Chronicle is my fav.
Oxygenee
QUOTE(Artemis @ Nov 14 2009, 03:54 AM) *

Ah, the Old Days. Happy times.

Good to see you here, old friend.
Artemis
Don't live near a lake, eh?

Modest Mouse - The Devil's Workday:

Gonna take this sack of puppies
Gonna set it out to freeze
Gonna crawl around on all fours
Til the blood runs out my knees

Gonna take this potted plant
To the woods and set it free
Gonna tell the owners
Just how nice that was of me

I remember stepping in to try and get Chong and Anatomist to ease up on each other and Anatomist replied fuck you, I hate you worse than Chong ...... all in a devil's workday

Artemis
Good to see you here, old friend.

Thank you.

Tirador
QUOTE(Grim @ Nov 13 2009, 01:04 AM) *

QUOTE(Tirador @ Nov 12 2009, 06:18 PM) *

I used to be really active here … but of late people here are just so … unfriendly … [I] will help any distiller of any spirit out whenever I can … including giving them access to my extensive library of rare distillation texts … just because it's a good thing to do.

Well, I'd gladly review any book you have in your library.

I'm a distiller. I collect distillation texts. I don't distill "any spirit," but I distill many spirits…

Access to your extensive library?! I'm game. If you really want to be liberal about exchanging information on the art, I'm all about that, too.

(But just remember you're no JBM.)

JBM?
OCvertDe
Wait for it… wait foooor iiiiiiiiiiit…
Lord Stanley
[IPB Image

JBM? (No time to draw in the handle bars)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.