Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: artistes!
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Arts & Philosphical Sundries
abCynthia
hey everyone, i am new here - this is my first post.

i came here to learn about absinthe, which i have by lurking around a bit, but i've also discovered that many of you here are exceptional artists!

in particular, i am interested in doll making. my question for those of you who do, is where do you get the articulated bodies to build on? is there a place you can order them, or do you use old barbie dolls or something and just embellish? OR do you build them yourselves? HOW i ask? this is something i have been wanting to do.

i really admire the jewelry pix posted here also, really beautiful and unusual. i make jewelry too, but not metal work - just beaded stuff, necklaces, bracelets, earrings and such like.

i wonder how much of your artwork is inspired by the green faerie? that question is for everyone here, not just the doll and jewelry makers!

i have not tried absinthe yet, but i am looking forward to it, especially the inspiration part!

and i look forward to talking with y'all!

- cyn

Head_prosthesis
Speaking of...

Head_prosthesis
For a quick answer to the question...

Look on Ebay for Volks bodies.
Or buy yourself some "My Scene" or "Bratz" dolls.
They're cheaper and less dissapointing to mangle
until you've gotten the hang of rubbing off the faces
with xylene, toulene, acetone etc.

For the long answer see:
http://www.blastmilk.com

Look in the links section

If you have the money to spend Rudi's the Man.
If you have the money to spend on both Dolls
AND Asbinthe you're doing very well for yourself.
abCynthia
thank you for the tips! i'm pretty psyched to get started.

the blastmilk site looks particularly good! hyper.gif

thanks again!

Kirk
QUOTE (abCynthia @ Jan 25 2004, 11:14 AM)
i wonder how much of your artwork is inspired by the green faerie? that question is for everyone here, not just the doll and jewelry makers!

i

The only thing I have made so far that was inspired by absinthe is my sputnick sculpture and the spoon chain. Allthough the thing that makes me make things probably helped me to enjoy growing and playing with herbs. Thanks for asking . Welcome , Abcynthia.
Conju
QUOTE (abCynthia @ Jan 25 2004, 08:14 AM)
hey everyone, i am new here - this is my first post.

i came here to learn about absinthe, which i have by lurking around a bit, but i've also discovered that many of you here are exceptional artists!

in particular, i am interested in doll making. my question for those of you who do, is where do you get the articulated bodies to build on? is there a place you can order them, or do you use old barbie dolls or something and just embellish? OR do you build them yourselves? HOW i ask? this is something i have been wanting to do.

i really admire the jewelry pix posted here also, really beautiful and unusual. i make jewelry too, but not metal work - just beaded stuff, necklaces, bracelets, earrings and such like.

i have not tried absinthe yet, but i am looking forward to it, especially the inspiration part!

and i look forward to talking with y'all!

- cyn

The only absinthe induced artwork I have ever made is a piece I'd like to call "Spit on a friends face" but it was a czech potion that I had been drinking so it really doesnt count as art at all. I'll let you know when further developments occur though.
Hiram
Dolls. Apparently here is a little art niche I've missed. And some gorgeous stuff, but $900??? How big are these things? They appear to be about 3.5' - 4' high.

My wife is a big fan of Living Dead Dolls; I'm sure she'd love to have one that size.
Absomphe
Conju:

That last remark was definitely up to your revolting standard...thanks for sharing, Buddy!! dev.gif
dangerousangels
Our house loves Living Dead Dolls too.

"i wonder how much of your artwork is inspired by the green faerie? that question is for everyone here, not just the doll and jewelry makers!"

abCynthia, how in the moment is your art?
Or how in the moment do you make it?
As a doll maker it is probably very rewarding
but very slow.

I have found that absinthe is great for in the moment creation, especially in a band context. But it works with mask making and writers block too.
I have found that it certainly loosens one up and focuses them.
And loose like a goose is the place to strive for as an artist.
Where everything is done without thought.
This observation was made while drinking with my band where I brought absinthe to the rehearsal for the others to try.
For myself while I drink and create, I hear my voice as it should be, and I shoot for it hard, I hear harmonies amplified in my head, and I have tremendous power and control of my voice...which has not been my general experience with music and drinking. So chalk that into the absinthe secondary effects.

The other members of the band went from being very typical and rowdy angst ridden boys(ah...my rock a babes, pure fire), to being exceedingly focused, creatively fluid and much more in the moment, after imbibing the green fairy. Of course once other chemicals were introduced to the fray...

So there. It grants you focus as long as you don't tip one too many.
I find that after three, for myself anyway, I loose that edge and it gives way to a wooziness in the head.

Absomphe
Dangerousangels:

May I heartily recommend Fougerolles Version II, the UNFILTERED, now being sold by LDF...the secondaries are wonderful, as is the flavor profile, vastly improved and different from the "Old Fougerolles" (of a week ago!)

Please forgive that this post is not in Modern Brands Reviews and News, I just reacted viscerally to your post, in the hope of offering an artistic aide!
Morrigan
Wow - a doll thread in the Absinthe forum shock.gif The culmination of Kallisti's work has now reached it's ultimate zenith. (Blastmilk is the work of our own dear forum "Head-mistress" <-- double pun)

And I got quite a chuckle out of how much Mr. Head P now knows about dollies!! harhar.gif
Head_prosthesis
JimbobWan made me realize
that's A. O. K. for a man to play
with dolls.

user posted image
Artemis
One of the first times I met Head in person, among the things he brought to show me (he always brings things, interesting things) were some Action Figures he had just acquired. It made me happy to see him happy with them.
Mulletman

For me in particular I can write without questioning what I'm writing. Usually if I sit down and try to write I pick apart every word/phrase I can. But with absinthe it just flows cleanly without the sloppiness of a drunkard (for awhile, then I pass out on bathroom floors........) But it does spark creativity in ways I didn't think possible. All this and I also have been consciously experiencing my dreams lately which is something I didn't know was possible but it's pretty interesting.
dangerousangels
QUOTE (Absomphe @ Mar 22 2004, 02:27 PM)
I just reacted viscerally to your post, in the hope of offering an artistic aide!

I appreciate all artistic aides...oh yeah!

We are looking to try the new Fou later next month, along with more Sapin( I LOVE THAT STUFF) and that INCREDIBLE strawberry liquer from LDF.

And Mulletman..I agree. Fully.
It does open and spark so very cool creative avenues.
Head_prosthesis
MOLLY HOLLY!!!
Absomphe
"All this and I also have been consciously experiencing my dreams lately which is something I didn't know was possible but it's pretty interesting."

Lucid dreaming can be an incredible experience...there are few "highs" that I have found to match the most intense of conscious dreams, especially if you do not give in to the temptation to control them. Once in awhile, such a dream can be nothing short of profound.
Kirk
Carlito! is that you?
Mulletman
In my most recent conscious dream I watched a naked girl crawl into a box from far away and went over to take a look but was woken up by my dad telling me it was time to go to school. (a dream inside a dream) Yeah I REALLY don't want to look into the symbolism of that dream. EVER. shock.gif
Absomphe
That was DEEP, MM! sleepy.gif
Provenance
It’s true that the mirror was in love, finding itself in every face.
It was not a function of syntax. His life was slurred.

M. Brennan

IPB Image
Kirk
QUOTE(Hiram @ Jan 28 2004, 02:57 PM) *

Dolls. Apparently here is a little art niche I've missed. And some gorgeous stuff, but $900??? How big are these things? They appear to be about 3.5' - 4' high.

My wife is a big fan of Living Dead Dolls; I'm sure she'd love to have one that size.

That would be a big change for her, I'm sure.
Jack Batemaster
Certainement !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.