Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Absinthe in P.G. Wodehouse
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > The Absinthe Library
Absinthesizer
From The Passing of Ambrose, 1928

Ambrose, greatly restored, turned to dealing out in his mind the details of the drink which his man, under his own personal supervision, should mix for him immediately upon his return. As to this he was quite clear. Many fellows in his position - practically, you might say, saved at last from worse than death - would make it a stiff whisky-and-soda. But Ambrose, though he had no prejudice against whisky-and-soda, felt otherwise. It must be a cocktail. The cocktail of a lifetime. A cocktail that would ring down the ages, in which gin blended smoothly with Italian Vermouth and the spot of old brandy nestled like a trusting child against the dash of absinthe. . . .

Hmmm - would that be dry vermouth or sweet vermouth?
Steve
Sounds like a "rouge gorge" like they serve at Aux Deux Canards in Paris, except I don't think they used any absinthe. Red vermouth, though.
Absinthesizer
Thanks - I think I'll give it a try today. Something to warm up with (it's currently 5 degrees fahrenheit here, and has been snowing for three days straight, which basically never happens) …

Or I might just go with a hot buttered absinthe! abs-cheers.gif
Tibro
Hot buttered absinthe would require a completely different emoticon than the one you offered.
Steve
That would be het.gif
Steve
Rouges gorges, on the other hand, are delicious, and go down easily. We had about 5 each one night.
Wild Bill Turkey
If this was written in 1928, then Italian vermouth definitely means sweet red. At about that time, vermouth was starting to get popular as a mixer, and vermouth came in two styles; sweet red Italian, and dry white French. When a recipe called for Italian, well you get the idea. Nowadays everybody who makes vermouth makes three types, dry white, fruity white or Bianco, and sweet red. But most educated bartenders will still respond to a request for Italian vermouth by pouring red.

The Cocktail Database shows no listings for a cocktail that combines only the ingredients mentioned in the story, but there is one that uses dry vermouth. There is also one that uses the sweet red, but improbably adds grenadine to the ingredients list, making it sound too sweet for human consumption.
Provenance
QUOTE(Absinthesizer @ Dec 8 2009, 08:53 AM) *
I might just go with a hot buttered absinthe

I prefer Hot Buttered Soul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N8k3uJu6K8
Absinthesizer
As Isaac would say (3:35) - "Unh!"
Steve
OK, I was wrong about the recipe for rouge gorge. Here it is! No vermouth. The residual memory is coming back, but I did drink at least 5 of them, plus wine, plus…
thegreenimp
Here is one to try with the new Herbsaint Original, and Carpano Antica.

Click to view attachment
Oxygenee
QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 8 2009, 05:47 PM) *

Sounds like a "rouge gorge" like they serve at Aux Deux Canards in Paris, except I don't think they used any absinthe. Red vermouth, though.

Nope, a Rouge Gorge is made from red wine (Côtes du Rhône recommended), gin (they use Tanqueray at the restaurant) and crème de mûre (similar to a crème de cassis, but made with blackberries, not blackcurrents).
Absinthesizer
Fwiw, I tried this cocktail, with three parts gin to one part sweet vermouth, and it was okay, but nothing to write a poem about. (At two parts gin it was not really okay …) My favorite part was the hint of absinthe, which just shows where my allegiance lies.
dakini_painter
The Cocktail DB lists quite a few cocktails using gin and sweet vermouth as ingredients. Their sweet martini gives 1.75 oz gin and 0.75 oz sweet vermouth for their proportions. Perhaps 0.25 oz each of the brandy and absinthe would work, or maybe just a dash on the absinthe.

And it could all turn on which gin and sweet vermouth you use and their combination.
Jaded Prole
The "Hanky Panky" takes 1½ oz Gin, 1½ oz sweet vermouth and a dash of Frenet Branca.

Most of these are a waste of good gin but I like the "Foggy Day": 1 oz Gin and ½ oz absinthe louched with a lemon twist.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.