Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boggy Berger, Boggy Edouard, Boggy Cusenier, Boggy Pernod fils #3 and
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe Brands Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
absinthist
Since there was a demand and so as not divert the other topic regarding Stefano's Art, here you can post your impressions, reviews, etc regarding these extraits, especially:

Boggy Berger #2, Boggy Edouard #1, Boggy Cusenier #1 and #2, Boggy Pernod fils #3 (verte)* and Boggy Pernod fils #4 (blanche).

Updated news: 2 out of 5 samples of BPF#4 have been shipped today. 3 more will follow in the meantime.

*it has been already started in here

For the evaluation of modern Artistry, please check from time to time that
OCvertDe
Clearly, I have not been nice enough to you.
Absomphe
Why do you say that, did he send you some?
Provenance
Ha!
Donnie Darko
I made a Donnie Darko Dornier Tuller and a Donnie Darko Premier Fils too.

Look at the pic, doesn't it look like they taste and smell just like the originals?
IPB Image

Some guy reviewed them and gave both a 97/100, so take that, bitchez. I made a replica of vintage absinthe.
Steve
I was the recipient of a sample of "BPF3". I'm not going to review it numerically, even though Boggy has asked me to. It's hard enough for me to review a commercial absinthe that way (I have made major blunders trying to do that); to score a 15 ml HG sample numerically is too difficult. But I know I would not give it a 97, or an 87, or a 77… The color was actually reasonably close to a sample of PF1914 that a very nice friend gave me. It did sediment quite a lot over the ~6 weeks I held it before tasting. Fragrance and taste were not reminiscent of PF to me, and the louche was weak. The fennel tasted "off" to me. There was no baby powder fragrance. I didn't find it to be a convincing PF replica, or reminiscent of any vintage I've smelled or tasted. Even with my limited vintage experience, I'm quite confident that I would never in a million years think this was any kind of PF. I have already expressed this to Boggy privately twice, but since this thread is here I guess I should relate my experience.
absinthist
Indeed you should, thanks man. Every input is welcome and it is good that your is on the other side unlike what the French and other Americans said. Some people had issues with the louche, some haven't.

I respect being sincere and honest since that is what an experiment requires. You have done your work, Steve, so nothing to worry about as I said you.
Steve
Thanks, Boggy!
OCvertDe
QUOTE(Absomphe @ Dec 17 2009, 05:15 PM) *

Why do you say that, did he send you some?

Yes, but only because I said it.
I said it because he hadn't.

Regardless of quality, when any distiller is kind enough to send me a sample of their absinthe, I'm psyched. Hell, when Martin sent me a whole bottle of the first SA, I was on cloud nine. It was barely drinkable, but it meant a lot to me that he went to the trouble, and I like to think that my feedback played a part in how much better his second batch was than the first (allegedly, as I wasn't one of the ones fortunate enough to land a sample).
That said, I've never had vintage so my impressions will be of questionable value, but I can at least tell him what I think of it.
absinthist
And so shall be.
dakini_painter
VDT Colonial right now. Not sure how this differs from regular VDT (don't have any to compare), but this is a drink for only string men. Or crazy women.

Please back off on the tansy (if that's what I'm tasting), and there's a bitterness I know not where from, but it doesn't add to this version compared to regular VDT. A useful experiment I'm certain, and Boggy is to be congratulated for sending it out.

Sorry I've been late in tasting it. abs-cheers.gif
EdouardPerneau
Boggy Berger one and two :

there were close to the real stuff except that BB1 was more bitter and a better clone that BB2 that was to sweet

Bpf3 :tasting it now
the louche is thin , the smell is mostly badiane-alike , wild camomilia in front than something sweet in back than bitter … so I will agree with Steve for the rest of the description that it can't be a Pernod fils clone definately
Oxygenee
Here is my exact copy of the Mona Lisa, based on extensive research (I've seen it twice in the Louvre). As you'll see it's almost indistinguishable from the original. I think it would be really valuable to have an extensive discussion here on exactly how close this is to Leonardo's version.

I'll also be producing soon an exact clone of the Venus di Milo, which I've never actually seen, but I once read a book explaining precisely how it was made.
eric
Close, but I do not think that you got the coloring quite perfect according to Pernod Fils pre 1850 protocol.
Jaded Prole
She doesn't look bitter enough.
Absomphe
But she is beginning to develop a nice feuille mort.
Tibro
Vintage pigments had a richer mouth feel.
absinthist
David, you have used wrong sienna. Sienna di Amiata is the key to the success. Why her face is so Cezanne'ed, btw?

abs-cheers.gif
Tibro
Probably happened in transit. You know how that is sometimes.
absinthist
Some hints:

http://www.ocregister.com/entertainment/le…ing-camera.html

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/2007/2024699.htm

http://www.lumiere-technology.com/Pages/News/news3.htm

Pascal COTTE’s multispectral camera enabled him to identify the pigments which were used to paint the Mona Lisa.
They answer to the names of cinnabar/vermilion (mercuric sulfide), umber, red ochre, yellow ochre, verdigris, green earth, lead white, lead-tin yellow, azurite, malachite, madder lake and buckthorn lake, and the famous lapis lazuli ultramarine.

Should one have some money, all these pigments are available, as well as tools (little is known, but Leonardo 1)was mixing colours directly on the canvas 2)instead of brush, he was using his thumb) and more.

and finally the original looked really so:

http://www.vinci-editions.com/mona_lisa.html

EDIT: sienna joke was on purpose, but not sarcastic, few people in the world in fact can name the pigments Old Masters, Impressionists and the others used.
absinthist
The very first review of BPF#4 has come (scores removed):

BPF blanche

Reviewed 12/27/2009

COLOR BEFORE WATER
Crystal Clear

LOUCHE ACTION
Slow forming semi-opaque louche. Oil trails appear instantly.

COLOR AFTER WATER
Blanche.

AROMA
Sweet candy fennel. Anise and then AA.

MOUTH-FEEL
Full bodied, slight alcohol sting. Mouth coating from oils. Quality grain base. Slightly salty.

TASTE
Perfect balance with AA, fennel and anise. Nice sweetness from the fennel. AA comes in nicely on the finish. Straight forward in its approach. Base is present.

OVERALL IMPRESSION
Nice blanche. Excellent aroma neat. Interesting study of pre-ban blanche type. Maybe an increase of the fennel and anise by 5-10 grams per liter would improve the louche cover the base a bit better.
Steve
Reviewed by whom?
absinthist
American Artist who rarely partakes in the fora discussions and wants to remain anonymous.
Tibro
So why post it? Isn't this between you and "anonymous"?
absinthist
??? Have you checked the title of the thread?
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Dec 24 2009, 12:46 PM) *

Here is my exact copy of the Mona Lisa,

QUOTE(Tibro @ Dec 24 2009, 03:03 PM) *

Vintage pigments had a richer mouth feel.

Actually the mouth feel for the Mona Lisa was thin, as is evidenced by DaVinci's painting and Oxy's exact copy. She appears to have no lips in either.

Well done, Maestro!
Steve
QUOTE(absinthist @ Dec 28 2009, 06:04 AM) *

American Artist who rarely partakes in the fora discussions and wants to remain anonymous.

Sorry, Boggy, but I give that review zero credibility. For us to be able to judge whether a review has merit or not, we need to know something about the reviewer. For example, I have a lot of respect for a review by Donnie Darko (for example), who is known to be very thoughtful, deliberate and unbiased, but none at all for a review by certain other individuals.

Without context, it means nothing.
G&C
Tiring, even.
OCvertDe
QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 28 2009, 11:23 AM) *
…but none at all for a review by certain other individuals.

Steve, I had no idea you were such a smooth operator.

Touché.
absinthist
QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 28 2009, 08:23 AM) *

we need to know something about the reviewer. For example, I have a lot of respect for a review by Donnie Darko (for example), who is known to be very thoughtful, deliberate and unbiased, but none at all for a review by certain other individuals.

He runs beer and absinthe accessories shop and as an online person posts on only one forum, on the others he is the reader. In previous reviews you might have spotted at Lounge, he was referred as to "Artist from Boston".

I do have a lot of respect for DD's reviews, too.
Tibro
For all we know you could have made that up yourself. Not saying that you did, but how would we know? When you post other people's reviews anonymously there's no guarantees, are there? And if you describe who you mean then you've compromised their anonymity, haven't you? That's why I asked why you posted that. Really, there's no way for you to win in that situation. No matter what the score might be.
Steve
I know exactly who he is, I know his name, but I have no idea whether he is a reliable reviewer. Didn't he give BPF3 a 97?
absinthist
Yes, he did-his sample did louche harhar.gif . In my opinion, he is a very reliable one, I have been getting dozens of my products reviewed by him getting very different scores.
Steve
The point is, none of us here can judge the quality of his reviews. No one but EP, Dakini and I have given our opinions here. I'm sure you sent stuff to lots more folks here.
absinthist
Yes, and I hope they speak up. And mind you, you are not the judge. These are his reviews and his opinions. I appreciate each of them, even though I might disagree with this and that.
Steve
All I'm saying is, your quoting this guy's review means exactly as much as Donnie's post #5 and Oxy's post #13.
absinthist
They were OT's I admit and jokes, his review is a review and is posted where it should be posted, right? Right.

If he comes over and speaks his mind, it is up to him and not my intention forcing him to do so.
Tibro
QUOTE(absinthist @ Dec 28 2009, 07:31 PM) *

They were adrOiT, I admit

I concur. Hard to argue. DD and Oxy are awfully predictable that way.
G&C
Boggy.
Quit Rubber Necking in public.

It doesn't look good.
Jaded Prole
It's bad form to toot your own tarnished horn. If others want to comment on what you sent than they can without your help.
Steve
Also, "Boveresse Messiah"? WTF?
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 28 2009, 11:23 AM) *

For example, I have a lot of respect for a review by Donnie Darko (for example), who is known to be very thoughtful, deliberate and unbiased

Thanks, but sometimes I question my own judgment. For example I was once pretty enthusiastic about Duplais Balance but now I won't even finish a glass. Absinthe can be a real shape-shifting target, and the challenge is made more difficult by evolving tastes, my own included.

Once upon a time there was a place, now long gone, where the FV scoring system was used to review HG absinthes. It was used exclusively as a constructive feedback tool, and I do not recall any maker ever showing off all their absinthes and posting glowing reviews other people had given their products. I'm curious as to the purpose of doing that, especially since this is not an HG forum and no home distillers can give constructive advice or feedback. Is the showcasing of certain HGs in here just for vanity?

"Hey, look, I made an absinthe some people think is awesome".

Ok, good for you. My wife made some awesome sesame noodles the other night too. Big deal.
eric
4) FORBIDDEN SUBJECTS: Discussions at Fee Verte are freewheeling and wide-ranging, and cover not just absinthe (and everything related to it) itself, but art, entertainment, politics, religion history and culture. Very few topics are off-limits, with the following noticeable exceptions:
  1. In order to protect all members and forum participants from unwanted attention from such agencies as the ATF, please do not discuss clandestine or home distillation, or the products of such activities, which are illegal in the US.
absinthist
I am only wondering whether the newest Art of Stefano Steve was distributing is to be considered a CO (then the thread is justified) or HG (then it is not, looking above), I am just wondering…
G&C
I would say HG since it was not available commercially.

Same as yours.
OCvertDe
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Dec 29 2009, 01:00 AM) *
My wife made some awesome sesame noodles the other night too. Big deal.

Butt this isn't a sesame noodle forum.

Never mind, I get your point.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(G&C @ Dec 29 2009, 03:40 AM) *

I would say HG since it was not available commercially.

Same as yours.

The difference is that Stefano was not showcasing his product, and it only came about due to an attempt at an experiment that wasn't even intended for the forums originally. Other forumites just liked it, shared it and commented on it. But I guess it is an HG, and in that sense Boggy has a point.
OCvertDe
While the argument held by our TOS is still valid, I think the gravity of the situation has lessened substantially since the US "opened it's doors", so to speak, to Absinthe.
G&C
Home distillation is still not legal in the United States.
4) FORBIDDEN SUBJECTS: Discussions at Fee Verte are freewheeling and wide-ranging, and cover not just absinthe (and everything related to it) itself, but art, entertainment, politics, religion history and culture. Very few topics are off-limits, with the following noticeable exceptions:
  1. In order to protect all members and forum participants from unwanted attention from such agencies as the ATF, please do not discuss clandestine or home distillation, or the products of such activities, which are illegal in the US.

End of Story.
Jaded Prole
Stephano is a commercial distiller. There is a difference between prototypes and HG.

There is also a difference between sharing what one makes and bragging about it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.