Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is Absinthe Too Sweet?
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > General Absinthe Discussion
Provenance
After recently trying samples of three well respected COs, it seems to me that absinthe has gotten too sweet.

I seem to remember that the best absinthes kept a crisp balance between anise and wormwood while maintaining a fundamentally earthy, roll-in-the-alpine-meadow quality. Absinthe wasn't bitter but it had an edge. Now I find that, at least for those recent unnamed samples, that the balance is gone and the result is cloying. What's going on? Faulty memory? Changing tastebuds? Makers veering towards sweetness?
Shabba53
I've noticed the same thing. Lots of new products are quite sweet and would be toothache sweet with sugar.
Provenance
Interesting. I wonder if any producers have thoughts on the issue.
absinthist
QUOTE(Provenance @ Dec 28 2009, 10:28 AM) *

three well respected COs

Which particular brands would these be? End of year-signs of Apocalypse approaching surface.
Provenance
QUOTE(Provenance @ Dec 28 2009, 10:28 AM) *
unnamed samples

I am interested in the issue of what I taste as increased sweetness across a number of brands, not discussing the merits of any given absinthe.
Tibro
Could it be a contributing factor that on the CO level, at least, production outputs have now outstripped the availability of top-quality wormwood, thus tipping recipes unwittingly towards sweetness?

I don't always get everything that's coming out, or return to any number of examples over time, so I can't say that I've got an accurate gauge of the trajectory that Pro is proposing, so this is mere speculation about what he's trying to get at. I will say that I have noted examples of what I think he means though.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Tibro @ Dec 28 2009, 01:20 PM) *

Could it be a contributing factor that on the CO level, at least, production outputs have now outstripped the availability of top-quality wormwood, thus tipping recipes unwittingly towards sweetness?

And (or) perhaps, with an eye on the relatively new U.S. market, European absinthe distillers are erring on the side of caution, and reducing the wormwood content of their absinthes, just to be extra-sure that the final final product has a residual thujone reading as close to zero as possible.
dakini_painter
if any producers have thoughts on the issue

I personally agree that absinthe should be anise, wormwood and then other stuff. I don't think it's appropriate for me to discuss specific other absinthes, and I must admit that my experience with the currently available US offerings is very limited, and with the recent EU offerings, nonexistent.

I know with my own absinthes I always recommend sans sucre. I certainly feel they are sweet enough as is. Have they crossed a line and become too sweet? I'm too wrapped up in my own production processes to be able to say for certain.
Patlow
Solipsist! wink.gif
absinthist
Had some recent Swiss ones and they were not sweet. I believe the problem might lie in the "American palate", hence some of the American CO brands might have followed the way and adjusted (consciously/subconsciously) to the market/clientele demands. It is nothing new. Since there is really nothing new coming from Europe, in Europe, that trend has not been observed as of recent times. Yet.
Leopold
Maybe Star Anise.
Marc
Pernod Fils was sweet too, mainly because of an incredibly rich green anise.

The only thing I've noticed myself is that I've decreased the amount of sugar over the years to almost zero today, so I guess my palate got used to the herbal and hearthy taste of absinthe year after year while the product itself didn't change. To the point that I can't drink any sweet liquor anymore.
Steve
Yes, the anise in PF was significantly sweeter and richer-tasting than that found in today's absinthes. Another interesting aspect of Stefano's vintage-ish experiment is that the anise tastes very sweet and rich like the old stuff.
absinthist
Different anise-Stefano used Italian one, which just as his fennel, yields the aroma not found in the current Andalusian anise, more often in Lebanese, Syrian, Turkish or Egyptian varieties.

Nevertheless, the absinthes would have to use helluva of it or combine with too much badiane to arrive at the pushed-over-limits-sweetness. Walton Waters has the sweetness for example, provided by green anise, so has Pacifique (although it is more on the drier side in that comparison), neither of these two is too sweet, though. I found Sirene to be overly licoriced, what might be taken for anise role, but still not too sweet, either.
G&C
Absinthe has always been sweet to my tongue.
Most times almost too sweet.

That's why it's really all about the Voyager Gin.
No one can ever say it's too sweet.

Which proves it's really all about the Gin.
Absomphe
I'd agree, except it's really always been all about the beer.
G&C
That was before Gin.
Absomphe
Always room for both.

After all, one's food, the other's drink.
absinthist
Gin has set the standard for dry and flavoursome, IMO. Beer, as long it was gruit or hoppied to hell.

Absinthe used to be not that sweet back in 1798 or earlier. The palates changed. Genever, from which gin has evolved, used to be on the sweeter side, too. Russians were the first to sweeten clear vodka with syrup and get away with it, unlike in likkers. Fuck! It seems that it is all about sugar. shock.gif
Marc
Boggy you've tasted absinthe from 1798 and earlier? chickawow.gif
absinthist
I wish I had that privilege. Nevertheless, such an old extrait has not been discovered yet, right? Or maybe you have found one and hidden it from the public evill.gif ?

According to these words:

IPB Image
Provenance
QUOTE(Marc @ Dec 31 2009, 12:15 AM) *
absinthe from 1798 and earlier?

Available from Oxy's Bullion-Only VIP website.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.