Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dealware Phoenix
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe in the News & in the Media
Kirk
Meadow Of Love
Zman
Excellent and way to go!
Donnie Darko
That's a nice stream coming out of that alambic.
Absomphe
Indeed, Cheryl!

That could definitely make an old guy jealous. wink.gif
absinthist
Keep it up, gal!
Patlow
Wow. That was fun to watch. I need to try the WW.
Marc
Ditto.
Absomphe
Indeed.

You furriners are so out of the loop.

Particularly the guy above you, Marc. harhar.gif
Nephrite
What they said… please PM us when we can call astorwines.com wink.gif
Grim
That's really great, Cheryl… CONGRATULATIONS!
Screwtape
joy. (Stimpy style)

I had a glass of the WW last night.

Even in the pouring the opal came out beautifully… sort of an umberish amber through the thickest parts and a sort of soft violet blue towards the edges of the glass. gorgeous! I used to drink out of a pontarlier, but lately I use a larger white wine balloon glass… i can put it on it's side and really see what I'm drinking, not to mention it shoves all those delicious aromatics up my schnozz.

<haze newb for this> When I first opened the bottle there was something (forgive my vernacular) swampy that was sort of under the surface… couldn't quite get a bead on it. It wasn't Swampthing off in the distance, but after coming back to the bottle I was amazed to find one of Waterhouse's nymphs in the bottle. what was almost like bog became a kind of sweet earth, some note of nectar… not of a burnt sugar but much more delicate… am I high or have other people tasted this? </haze newb for this>

it will be hard to keep this bottle around for long.

edit -> just for clarity i'm not saying there was the slightest bit of funk at any time… I'd imagine terms like swamp and bog are never seen as complimentary, but at no time was this bottle ever short of brilliant… I also wanted to use a term like caramel, but that seems to really overstate it… no syrup or burning sugar… nothing course or obvious about any of it. I do wonder if some of these notes are more common in higher end absinthes. anywhoo… sorry to go on about it.
Kirk
As far as I know, there are no high end absinthes that could top Delaware Phoenix products. Only a few absinthes in the world are even in the same league.
Jaded Prole
True dat.
Artemis
What was noted is possible with almost any absinthe, even the best, but more ephemeral with the best (did I REALLY smell that? Now it's gone!). It may mellow or go away completely with aging. With lesser absinthes, it can be there and stay there in a most unpleasant way. I doubt there are many current absinthes that could be considered higher on the scale than Walton Waters from a quality standpoint.
dakini_painter
I'd imagine terms like swamp and bog are never seen as complimentary

I think it would be good if folks with real wine and whiskey tasting experience with their unique nomenclature would begin to look at absinthe. While our experience wouldn't grow, I think perhaps the nuance of our descriptions might.

Swamp and bog might be seen as bad, but in nature they are essential for the health of the environment.

I'm hoping I can get Alice (the writer of the Times article) to do some extended absinthe sampling to see what she tastes. Her initial descriptions in the article were very intriguing to me.

Thanks very much for your support! abs-cheers.gif
Tibro
QUOTE(Artemis @ Jan 8 2010, 11:53 PM) *

I doubt there are many current absinthes that could be considered higher on the scale than Walton Waters from a quality standpoint.

M - it's hard to be definitive.
oglala56
QUOTE(dakini_painter @ Jan 8 2010, 03:00 PM) *

I'd imagine terms like swamp and bog are never seen as complimentary

I think it would be good if folks with real wine and whiskey tasting experience with their unique nomenclature would begin to look at absinthe. While our experience wouldn't grow, I think perhaps the nuance of our descriptions might.

Swamp and bog might be seen as bad, but in nature they are essential for the health of the environment.

I'm hoping I can get Alice (the writer of the Times article) to do some extended absinthe sampling to see what she tastes. Her initial descriptions in the article were very intriguing to me.

Thanks very much for your support! abs-cheers.gif

Excellent presentation Cheryl…and excellent absinthe.. abs-cheers.gif
Screwtape
My apologies for poor verbiage. Grapes are a little more of a known commodity to me than herbs, and as this flavor was new to me I was unsure how to describe it. All I know is that it was dark, mysterious and totally engaging. It was sort of analogous to that thing that is often attached to tannins in wine. Perhaps "earth" would be a better way to go? At this point it has evolved into something beautifully new, but before going on I think I'll just read more so that when I do speak it will be more out me mouth and less out me arse.

Sorry if I was unintentionally insulting.
dakini_painter
I don't think anyone believed that you were being insulting.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.