Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cocktail?
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > General Absinthe Discussion
Screwtape
What are people's opinions on this?
I mean absinthe in my mind has always seemed more like a wine than a spirit. I'd no sooner think of making a cocktail out of a decent wine than buy a wine cooler, but that makes me a snob? Look, I know I have a panoply of questionable traits fully worthy ridicule, but is this really one of them?

Are there absinthe cocktails that folks here enjoy? Am I missing something?
Marc
Earthquake is nice.

I still have to try the Sazerac.
Alan
There are 104 absinthe cocktails in the 1930 Savoy Hotel Cocktail Book … and only one vodka cocktail. If that demonstrates anything.

On the other hand, most people who drank absinthe cocktails in 1930 are now dead.
Tibro
Absinthe isn't "more like a wine" until you water it down. And you need to water it down because the spirit is more like a concentrate until you do that. A little bit can give a real flavor boost to just about anything. I don't do cocktails so much any more in any kind of formal sense, but I will add a flavor boost to a whole lotta different spirits as the mood suits me, since absinthe almost always suits my mood.
Provenance
QUOTE(Alan @ Jan 22 2010, 10:00 AM) *

There are 104 absinthe cocktails in the 1930 Savoy Hotel Cocktail Book … and only one vodka cocktail. If that demonstrates anything.

They had one vodka cocktail too many.
Wild Bill Turkey
If you really enjoy the taste of anything by itself, you can either say:
"I can't imagine adulterating this with anything else"
or
"A little bit of this would improve the taste of almost anything"

A lot of us say both.
Shabba53
I love using absinthe in good cocktails.
G&C
Indeed!
thegreenimp
Herbsaint Recipes
BrSpiritus
I have a 1904 Jack's Manual with a few absinthe cocktail recipes. Generally I like a sazerac every now and then especially in light that I can get real rye whiskey again.

BR
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.