Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Une Goutte de Pernod"
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthiana & Collectibles
Chris
I picked this up a few weeks ago and wondered if anyone here could help me pin down a rough date on it…

I've been able to find a little info on the composer, but I've not been able to find any mention of this specific piece.

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
Absinthesizer
This is not much help, but the style of the type and the illustration looks more like 1870s-80s than later.

What's the piece like? One of the shifts in salon music in the latter half of the 19th Century is from sentimental to brilliant. The 1850s and '60s are known for sappy fare like "The Maiden's Prayer" and "The Dying Poet." By he 1880s popular salon music is much perkier. Since this is a mazurka, it's probably fairly lively? (Though Chopin would write an occasional slow mazurka …)
absinthist
Szopen would have written mazurek but first if he were alive he would have got tight on ****sinthe. Wyspiański claimed so.
Wild Bill Turkey
Well, that looks like the state of Texas on the label, rather than the Swiss cross or an actual Pernod label, and while Texas became a state in 1845, it was not on the forefront of absinthe distilling until a century and a half later.
Absinthesizer
Ha!
Absomphe
Double Ha!
Chris
Ha! (x 3)

As far as what it's like, here's a picture of the first page:

IPB Image
G&C
Is that a Braille picture?
OCvertDe
Looks simple enough… I sort of want to get that to a piano and see what it sounds like.
pierreverte
"Désiré Servel, né à Clermont-l'Hérault le 16 décembre 1833, qui fut professeur de musique au conservatoire de Sète et mourut le 2 mars 1905 en laissant une abondante production d'opéras, messes, romances, danses et quelque 260 chansons."

So he had to have written it most likely after 1853 (and it is doubtful that it was written before 1880) and before 1905. Dedicated to 'Mr. Pernod Fils', which means he probably didn't know the owners (and the brand is not identifiable on the bottle, so hard to determine that it was a paid-for advertisement like Cusenier below dated 1904), but a positive image of Pernod and absinthe…

Model from 1896 looks very similar:Click to view attachment

Guess: 1895 - 1900
pierreverte
Cusenier music sheet c.1904:Click to view attachment
thegreenimp
Isn't there another cover for the Oxygenee March? (I saw one some years ago)

I'd love to find cylinders of those for my Edison player.
Zman
What would be interesting is to have the music on both of those sheets copied, played and recorded on an mp3 and put up on the web. I have an original copy of "It Happened in Nordland" which has the sheet music for "Absinthe Frappe."
This would make a great addition to Oxy's museum site.
Chris
That would be awesome. My wife plays piano and my friend has the recording equipment so I'd be game.
Chris
Peter, thanks for the info. Your date rage seems pretty likely, especially considering the similarity to the other pieces you posted and when they were made. You're right about how much the models from this piece and the Cusenier one look alike… I wonder if it's the same person or if one was copied from the other.
pierreverte
QUOTE(Zman @ Jan 30 2010, 06:12 PM) *

What would be interesting is to have the music on both of those sheets copied, played and recorded on an mp3 and put up on the web. I have an original copy of "It Happened in Nordland" which has the sheet music for "Absinthe Frappe."

I think we have enough talented people here to make this happen…
thegreenimp
QUOTE(Zman @ Jan 30 2010, 11:12 AM) *

You can download a vintage copy of Absinthe Frappé off of I-Tunes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.