Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SNL
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Entertainment
Patlow
O.M.G.

It sucks.

Maybe the unfunniest show ever made. Ever.

no.gif
Tibro
Think outside the box.
Donnie Darko
SNL needs to be put in a box 6 feet under.
Jaded Prole
It was great in its heyday.
G&C
QUOTE(Patlow @ Feb 6 2010, 09:37 PM) *
O.M.G.

It sucks.

Maybe the unfunniest show ever made. Ever.

no.gif

For more than 30 years now…
Absomphe
Indeed.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Jaded Prole @ Feb 7 2010, 10:11 AM) *

It was great in its heyday.

The problem is that in the heyday, everyone on the show was hilarious and talented. Then in the 90s it dwindled to about 1/4 of the cast being funny and talented, to the current embarrassment where I can't think of anyone on the show who is uniquely funny or notably talented. On top of that the show feels lazy. There's no energy to it, no discipline. I don't know when they decided it was funny to laugh repeatedly at their own line flubs and become so obvious at mis-reading cue cards, but that illustrates pretty well that they don't give a shit about the show anymore, so why should we?

Kirk
I can't say. I always fall asleep after the opening skit.
G&C
After or during?
Artemis
I never saw Eddie Murphy on that show; that's how long ago I stopped watching it. The first time I saw it, I was ripped on some "substance" or other, and there was a commercial about a watch with so many buttons, extra hands had to come into the picture to set them all. I thought it was real, said, WTF?? But it was one of those patented SNL "commercials". I was introduced to a lot of great music by the bands that were on that show - Talking Heads, Devo, Kid Creole & the Coconuts, Leon Redbone, etc. etc. John Belushi as the Samurai TV Repair Man, Dan Akroyd advertising the "Bass-o-Matic" (with a real fish in a blender), that was some cutting edge shit.
Wild Bill Turkey
I don't understand how this happens. Slots in the cast of that show should be the most desperately fought-for jobs in the entertainment industry, especially for rising young talents. The franchise is an indestructible juggernaut, rolling through decades basically unopposed as king of Saturday night television, a reliable cash cow for selling advertising and making money, as it has proven to be even through all the bleak years that have gone by since it made anyone laugh.

How do the owners of something that valuable allow it to get so bloated and tired that it can't do anything but lay on its side and fart? Wouldn't they do some massive televised casting call reality TV show to pick an amazing new cast from the thundering millions? What am I missing?
G&C
Lexapro, Cymbalta, Xanax, Zoloft, Effexor, Prozac, Paxil, Celexa, Valium, Ativan, Klonopin, BuSpar, Remeron, …
Jaded Prole
Part of the dumbing down of America.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Wild Bill Turkey @ Feb 8 2010, 07:43 AM) *

How do the owners of something that valuable allow it to get so bloated and tired that it can't do anything but lay on its side and fart?

What you said right there literally made me laugh harder than anything I've seen on that show in over a decade. You should see if they're auditioning, as you'd be an improvement over the current lounging flatulence.
Patlow
It makes me angry/sad because growing up it was such a huge part of my "entertainment life." You would piss yourself laughing about it that night and the next day. You would go to school Monday morning, imitating the sketches.

They really had a hold of the zeitgeist for a while there, and even when the show would decline you could be reasonably confident it would rebound with some new talent or fresh ideas.

The beginning of the end for me was the Tina Fay era. It really sucked then and only got progressively worse. And she is smart as hell, just look at 30 Rock. Not even she could make it work.

I watched it last Saturday with morbid curiosity and was not disappointed, that is to say I was very disappointed. Fucking rubbish.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.