Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Angel Fernandez de Soto
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthiana & Collectibles
Pages: 1, 2
Provenance
Record estimate for Pablo Picasso work

A painting owned by Andrew Lloyd Webber's Art Foundation, which was at the centre of a dispute about its Nazi-era history, is to go under the hammer.

Portrait of Angel Fernandez de Soto is being offered with a pre-sale estimate of between £30m-£40m - the highest for any work of art ever offered in Europe

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8572629.stm
Tibro
I wonder which absinthiana collector is counting his Euro-pennies for this one?
G&C
…is to go under the hammer.

A match would be faster.
Absomphe
And even more fitting.
Marc
Agreed.

I would not even hang it in my toilets.
Steve
I think that painting is frickin' awesome. Why don't you guys like it?
Aggelos
Ditto. Matter of taste, I s'ppose
Shabba53
Probably due to the accusations that the painting was originally acquired through nefarious means.
Tibro
Blue-period Picasso's are not his most enjoyable works. Of course, that's on the continuum of a massive amount of output over his lifetime. I don't think that this portrait is a stand-out in his oeuvre, by any means. If someone wished to give it to me I wouldn't turn it down though.
Provenance
QUOTE(Steve @ Mar 18 2010, 05:57 AM) *
Why don't you guys like it?

It's ugly.
Jaded Prole
I like it.
dakini_painter
Picasso was one of those fortunate few artists that never had to cater to a public. The Blue Period works are often challenging, and that is worthwhile. Painting (the act) is more than just a pretty picture (the result) that makes you feel good.

I like the painting.
Donnie Darko
Out of curiosity, did Picasso ever say "this is my blue period", or did he just paint what he felt like painting and others decided on the nomenclature?

I took an art philosophy class back in college and I thought it was the biggest load of fart-sniffing bullshit I'd ever stepped in, but it was educating. Education about art can of course increase one's appreciation of it, but there comes a point where the relationship between pontification about art and the art itself is inversely proportional.
OCvertDe
Hmm… well said indeed.

And, I have no idea. I jumped right to your end conclusion and skipped that class.
thegreenimp
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Mar 18 2010, 08:27 PM) *

Out of curiosity, did Picasso ever say "this is my blue period", or did he just paint what he felt like painting and others decided on the nomenclature?

I took an art philosophy class back in college and I thought it was the biggest load of fart-sniffing bullshit I'd ever stepped in, but it was educating. Education about art can of course increase one's appreciation of it, but there comes a point where the relationship between pontification about art and the art itself is inversely proportional.

Jon Lovitz did a funny sketch as an older Picasso on SNL many years ago……I liked the part where he blew his nose into a napkin at a sidewalk cafe, then handing off the napkin to the young waiter saying : "I'm Picasso"….."Here kid now you can go to college"
Tibro
If that was a true story it would be used to illustrate just how far ahead of his times Picasso was. Kind of like Chris Ofili handing you an elephant turd.

QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Mar 19 2010, 02:27 AM) *

I took an art philosophy class …

I took a philosophy of art class, otherwise known as aesthetics. Didn't necessitate the contemplation of any actual works of art at all.
Patlow
I took an "art appreciation" class in college. I chose it because the class took place at the Barnes Foundation (right off campus).

What I did not know when I signed up for it was that the whole collection was on tour that year and was GONE!

So… basically we looked at books of art that contained pictures from the Barnes Foundation collection.

I GOT JIPPED!!!!

(BTW, "The Art of the Steal" is a decent flick that tells the story of how the City of Philadelphia and others literally STOLE the most valuable private collection of art in the world and made it a tourist attraction to benefit the city. Boy! Will it make you angry!)
absinthist
Although the painting in question is not that wrong, from that period to my liking much more is "Les deux saltimbanques" of 1901; it shows an absinthe glass, too.
dakini_painter
I don't believe Picasso ever referred to this time period as his "Blue Period". It's simply nomenclature dreamed up by "art historians" to classify and organize art, which is something I consider to be a bit unorganized. And it's all the better for it.
Tibro
I'm curious how the visual art works are shaping up from from your "Green Period." (If I may be allowed to dream up such nomenclature for your current period of work.) The culinary works are certainly sublime.
dakini_painter
At present no time for painting. Gave all my oil paints to a friend who paints and has shows. Gave all my watercolors to another friend.

Everyday distilling. My work schedule is all planned out through the end of April.
abs-cheers.gif
thegreenimp
http://www.55inch.com/movies/Jah_snl.mov
Patlow
And there's even a Pernod Fils poster in the background! FUNNY!
Tibro
QUOTE(dakini_painter @ Mar 20 2010, 01:26 PM) *

Everyday distilling.

I marvel at your dedication to priorities. An artist who can generously abandon one medium to pursue her success in another is a rare commodity. Your current works deserve a wide following.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Tibro @ Mar 20 2010, 03:33 PM) *

An artist who can generously abandon one medium to pursue her success in another is a true artist.

Fixed.
Marc
QUOTE(Provenance @ Mar 18 2010, 03:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Mar 18 2010, 05:57 AM) *
Why don't you guys like it?

It's ugly.

Nothing to add.

(but I'm maybe one of the only few that hates 99% of Picasso's works)
Kirk
I never saw a Picasso I liked. His work basically embodies everything I don't understand or don't like about what people generally call art.
absinthist
Thass why he called it "cubism" independently. Cube=sugar=no=absinthe sans sucre-Art=Real Deal HG or few Co's
Tibro
And so we come to the Fluxus explanation.
absinthist
1979=too late. I am still the Pre/Post-Impressionist I am, do not mingle into some.
Tibro
Forgive me. Even with all the equals signs I still couldn't determine the score. Which, of course, seemed a maneuver of Fluxus proportions. Seems I may have given you too much credit for your adroit use of indeterminacy.
Absomphe
That almost seems signature-worthy, but I just can't bring myself to give Dr. O the boot.
speedle
Sure, butt multi-line siggy's are the new black.
Oxygenee
QUOTE(Steve @ Mar 18 2010, 04:57 PM) *

I think that painting is frickin' awesome. Why don't you guys like it?

QUOTE(Aggelos @ Mar 18 2010, 05:15 PM) *

Ditto. Matter of taste, I s'ppose

Yup, exactly. If you don't like this masterpiece, you don't have it.
I'm amusing myself imagining what some of you might hang on your walls instead.
Wild Bill Turkey
Ha!
and
HA!
Absomphe
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Mar 22 2010, 01:38 AM) *

Frankly, Oxy, I just don't know what to say, I'm offended. wink.gif
thegreenimp
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Mar 22 2010, 03:38 AM) *

I like the classics.
Click to view attachment
G&C
I'd hang the poker dogs before that aborted LSD flashback.
Absomphe
Agreed.

Jon Lovitz got it right.
Shabba53
QUOTE(Kirk @ Mar 21 2010, 09:10 AM) *

I never saw a Picasso I liked. His work basically embodies everything I don't understand or don't like about what people generally call art.

His early works were quite remarkable in how much classical training they reflected.
Provenance
He could paint well, he just chose not to much of the time.
Oxygenee
QUOTE(Absomphe @ Mar 22 2010, 04:06 PM) *

I'm offended.

My work here is done.
Aggelos
IPB Image

But well, this would also do

IPB Image
Artemis
Click to view attachment

"My paintings belong in a gin mill, not a museum. If this modern crap is art, then just call my paintings beautiful. Don't call them art."

Edgar Leeteg - Father of Velvet Painting
sixela
QUOTE(Marc @ Mar 18 2010, 09:30 AM) *

I would not even hang it in my toilets.

I wouldn't hang it in your toilets either, because I like it.

sixela
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Mar 22 2010, 09:38 AM) *

Gawd, that attachment was an eyesore. Reminded me of the "art" that my local Chinese restaurant owner likes to foist upon unsuspecting patrons.

Kirk
QUOTE(Shabba53 @ Mar 22 2010, 11:03 AM) *

QUOTE(Kirk @ Mar 21 2010, 09:10 AM) *

His early works were quite remarkable in how much classical training they reflected.

Quite true, his early drawings and paintings showed a lot of skill, he could have made more accurate renditions with a camera though.
Jaded Prole
Making an accurate rendition was not the goal.
Marc
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Mar 22 2010, 09:38 AM) *

If you don't like this masterpiece, you don't have it.

So if we don't like this thing then we like shit paintings?
C'mon Oxy, you usually have better arguments.
And you should visit more galleries, you would see that Picasso is way overrated harhar.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.