Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Goodbye my lover, goodbye my friend…
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > General Absinthe Discussion
Conte d'Ugenta
Guys,
as some of you already know I decided to quit distilling, and well I just wanted to say it publicly. I couldn't decide to make this post even tho I wanted to for quite some months, but it was hard, and makes me very sad, so I'll try to be quick so I don't get too sad and can go on drinking and enjoying my birthday.
What I want to tell you is that I'm so grateful to all of you, for the support, for the knowledge shared, for the fun we had in Absinthiades and Boveresse, you are amazing people, I really mean it!
I tried to hold on and keep on distilling as long as I could, cause I love absinthe and I loved the idea to have this as my job. Actually it was more than love: I always wanted to be a writer, but I gave up soon after high school cause I was aware that that wasn't something you can call a job, it can be a hobby, nothing more. Problem is I desperately need to express my creativity somehow, so after I finished studying economics at the university (and it's been a fucking nightmare, cause for a creative person economics is like holy water for the devil) I was so frustrated I didn't know what to do. Then I started drinking absinthe, and slowly I started to dare thinking that maybe I could become a distiller, so when my first experiments got the attention of some experts it was a shock! Like OMFG I can actually do this! I can realize my dream and make something creative and art-related! So I started putting all of myself into this, and in a matter of 6 months I came out with the Italienne recipe. But then problems arose, and the reality started to become clearer and clearer: again it wasn't different, absinthe was something I could do as an hobby, not for making a living out of it. I didn't want to believe it, I couldn't accept it, and you can believe me if I say I tried EVERY possible way to make this job a real job. But eventually I had to face the reality, and I couldn't escape anymore.
But it hurts, badly, cause again my dreams has been crushed, and now I don't know what I'll do, but quite surley it won't be anything creative, cause now I need to make money. I loved the absinthe world immensely, and that's why now I need to stay away from it, at least for some time. I know it sounds stupid, but for me it's just like if I split with a girlfriend, and right now the wound is wide open.
I hope someday I'll be able to come back somehow, like if I'll find a new job that I like it will be (with the same metaphor) like having a new girlfriend, so coming back in the absinthe world won't hurt anymore.
I know I'm weird but that's just how I am, that's nothing I can do with it.
So this will be my last post, for anyone willing to stay in touch just add me on FaceBook, I already got many absinthe friends there, and I'm always glad to hear from friends.
So again, thank you all so much, it's been a blast. I love you!!!

Stefano
Shabba53
Cheers mate. I sincerely wish you the best in everything and I hope you can soon enjoy the fruits of your creative labors again. abs-cheers.gif
Absomphe
Best of luck in your future endeavors, Stefano.

With all your liquid artistic talent, I'd prefer to think of your departure not as an arrivederci, but rather a sino a quel momento.
Steve
You're a true friend, and I know I won't be saying goodbye to you anytime soon. But I'll try not to talk about absinthe.
Kirk
That was a very moving post, keep your chin up Stephano, your talents will serve you no matter what you choose to do.
Patlow
Maybe he's just "birthday drunk" and getting weird about getting older. You'll be just fine whatever you do, because you're a great bloke, a smart guy, and gifted as well. Best of luck to you! Hope to see you again soon one day (maybe at a beer festival?!?!) Cheers!

abs-cheers.gif

Leopold
Absolutely heartbreaking.
Tibro
Stefano, I do hope we have the chance to run into each other once again. I know someone who's still curious to at least learn a few words in Italian. Best of luck in all your pursuits.
absinthist
All the best and stay strong, my friend.
Green Baron
Stefano, I'm sorry that your departure from distilling has caused you pain. It's understandable after being so close to your passion and then having to set it aside.

But I want to thank you for having the courage to chase your dream in the first place. L'Italienne is one of those absinthes that transports me to a beautiful place, and I got to experience it because you were brave.

Even if sustaining the business side of things could not be done, please also know that being able to bring your art to its level and expression- and being able to share it with those that truly appreciate it- was a great victory.

I wish you the best of luck going forward, and I hope you are one day able to enjoy the beauty of absinthe again. If you have to do something less ideal in the future, remember it is a just means to an end. And that no matter how much time and energy a different path takes, no one can stop you from dreaming if you don't let them.
Jaded Prole
It is more than sad that your talent hasn't been enough to support you. This is too often the case for artists. Tale care and good luck.
EdouardPerneau
Good luck Stefano I hope that everything will get bette rsoon
Artemis
ma non eran da ciò le proprie penne:
se non che la mia mente fu percossa
da un fulgore in che sua voglia venne.

A l'alta fantasia qui mancò possa;
ma già volgeva il mio disio e 'l velle,
sì come rota ch'igualmente è mossa,

l'amor che move il sole e l'altre stelle.

But my own wings were not enough for this,
Had it not been that then my mind there smote
A flash of lightning, wherein came its wish.

Here vigor failed the lofty fantasy:
But now was turning my desire and will,
Even as a wheel that equally is moved,

The Love which moves the sun and the other stars.

Divine Comedy
dakini_painter
Sorry to hear such news Stefano. It's a sad thing that creativity isn't so well rewarded in our society. Good luck in whatever you do!
Zman
I'm very sorry to hear this news. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
Wild Bill Turkey
Thank you for some great tastes.
The memories I have of the tastes you've given me are not as fleeting as we might assume. I can hold some of them in my memory for as long as I can the memories of a sunset that moved me, or the flash of a pretty girl's face on a train. Some of these things enrich our lives forever, even though they're gone in a moment's time.
EdouardPerneau
one day in 100 years someone will find out a bottle of l'ittalienne and say:

damn that stuff was fucking tasty
Marc
Nothing to add. Sad.

We stay in touch mon ami.
Kirk
And please don't let all the goodbyes stop you from returning.
OCvertDe
Best of luck in your future endeavors Stefano, and I sincerely hope (for purely selfish reasons) that your endeavors have luck enough to bring you back to us some day.
My sample of your Mysterysinthe was one of the most wondrous experiences of my time in the Absinthe community, an honor I have been woefully lax in expressing my appreciation for. This dilatory negligence of mine feels far more shameful in light of your departure; but regardless, with the authority conceived through that act of your generosity, I can say with everyone else that your skill and pride of craftsmanship will be sorely missed here, and the absence of your art in what is largely a morass of mediocre products will leave a hole I don't believe will heal over before you find the peace of heart to take up your tools again.
As I finish what I have left of my L'Italienne- and I will make it last as long as I can- I will only be ruminating on your impact here, and sending my best wishes for your future success. I'm sure that whatever you turn your hands to, the results will be exceptional.
Thank you, and please hurry back.
chrysippvs
A pity to hear it Stefano. I was doting on your work just the other evening. Well, 'quos amor verus tenuit, tenebit' so I will hold out hope. Take care.
Absomphe
QUOTE(chrysippvs @ Mar 28 2010, 09:22 AM) *

I was doting on your work just the other evening.

Indeed.

Thanks, again, for giving me the opportunity to do the same.
synthetic buddhist
I'm just gonna keep telling myself it ain't over yet. It's been too good not to.
Absinthesizer
Sorry to come late to this shocking and dismaying news. L'Italienne is one of the best absinthes on the market, and arguably the most unusual premium absinthe. And its appeal is wider than most absinthes: I have friends who don't much care for absinthe who ask for l'Italienne.

Best of luck in whatever you do, Stefano!
OCvertDe
Is my memory failing even faster than I thought it was, or has the price gone up?
I don't remember paying nearly a hundred bucks for it back when it was released.
Steve
What are you talking about? 48 GBP is 73 bucks.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Steve @ May 2 2010, 05:39 AM) *

What are you talking about?

I've been wondering about the same thing.

Since 02/02/08.
OCvertDe
Oh snap. Good point.

Also, Touché.

Steyr850
It's truly saddening when a dream is derailed, especially when its first steps are so promising. I remember the Prototype and how much I liked its citrusy profile. I never tasted the production version, but it seemed many were very fond of it. Stephano, with the passion you had for this creation, and how you so unselfishly gifted those of us with sample bottles to share in, I have no doubt that whatever your next venture is you'll be successfull. Cheers to you and thanks again!

Stroll down memory lane
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.